The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Can someone help me fix my remington 1100

I have just aquired a 1976 remington 1100
I have no idea how many rounds it has fired or if it was abused.

I plan on replacing all the neccesary internal parts to make it run like new.
These are the reparts I plan on replacing, tell me if there is some part I am missing of this list;

recoil spring
magazine tube spring
shell follower
o rings
extractor
extractor spring
firing pin

If there is any part I need to replace but is not on the list please let me know.

George Orwell
Old March 15, 2009, 07:00 PM   #2
nutty ned

Can someone help me fix my remington 1100

Super-Dave:
If it shoots ok, I would not change anything.
I would have the fol parts on hand:
O-ring and carry a spare with me.
Extractor--they sometimes break, however the spring & plunger are usually still good.
piston/piston seal assembly-- this was two rings on older 1100/11-87's,
now a snap together assembly.
<
If you think the barrel pushes in too easy and lose in the reciever upon assembly or a piece of the fore-end assembly is missing, you might want to replace it. [part no44 in the pic in my manual]
Old March 15, 2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Slopemeno

The o-ring for sure. Everything else usually is fine.
Old March 15, 2009, 11:53 PM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemeno
The o-ring for sure. Everything else usually is fine.
+1
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You might want to get a snap on shell catcher for shooting singles.

Last edited by zippy13; March 17, 2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old March 16, 2009, 12:29 PM   #5
RoscoeC

"Running like new" isn't always a good thing.

Kind of like a restaurant I went to where the waitress told me the meatloaf was just like mom used to make. I said in that case I would order something else. Mom had lots of good qualities, but gourmet cooking wasn't one of them.

New shotguns often work much better after a good bit of the new is gone. As stated before, if it's working reliably, I wouldn't fool with it. As a former 11-87 owner, I would always keep spare O rings on hand, but other than that...
NRA Life Member
Old March 16, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Sam06

Super Dave, I bought a VERY used 1100 last year to turn into a Competition Master for 3 gun shooting. When I got the gun it would not cycle with anything. The list of components you are looking at replacing are what I WAS FACING ALSO. Here is what I did:

-1st replaced the o-ring it worked about 75%
- Replaced the Drive spring/Action spring(in the stock) now it was 80%
- Replaced and timed the carrier assembly- 90% function.

The last thing I did was replace the shell/Magazine follower and then I polished the inside of the magazine tube with flitz. I polished everything I could that looked like it rubbed and or was dirty/rusty looking with flitz. The problem with 1100's is a lot of people don't maintain them and they get real dirty. Being a gas operated gun they get a lot of crud blown back into the action and that binds things up and promotes rust/gunk. I also degreased the whole gun with carb cleaner then Brake cleaner. I then blew out all the parts with air. I did this after a total disassemble of everything to include the trigger mech.

The gun now functions 100% with all size shot(High or Low brass, Slugs to #8 dove loads). It has a 22" Barrel, 9 shot cartridge extender and a competition master lifter. When it was all said and done I had about $260 into it including the gun. A new competition master goes for about 8-900 bucks new when you can find them.

I also have intimate knowledge of the 1100. If you need some help for parts or about how the gun works feel free to PM me.......Good luck with the gun. I really like the 1100 it is a soft shooting gun and it works well for what I use it for.......................Sam
Old March 16, 2009, 01:15 PM   #7
RetiredLawman

I agree with the answers that you are getting. A 35 cents o-ring (not buna, get viton rubber) will solve most problems. I've never has aproblem with mine but I keep an o-ring in my hunting jacket and I change it out every year.
Old March 16, 2009, 09:48 PM   #8
olddrum1

Just curious, does the gun function as it should or have you purchased a firearm that may have problems?