The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 10, 2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Big Bill

If a "Red Dawn" type scenario occured, do you think...

If a "Red Dawn" type scenario occured, do you think you could survive in a run and gun situation? Let's assume that you would need to hide yourself and yours as the Bielskis brothers did in WWII (see the movie Defiance).

If so, what qualifications (life experiences) do you have that you have mastered that would be benificial to you and yours in this effort? (List the outdoor and fighting/farming/fishing/survival or other skills you have that you or others could put to use...)

If you don't have any skills yet, how do you plan to get some?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; March 10, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
mnhntr

i think i would stand a better chance than the average joe. a 4yr stint in the US Army, as well as a background in law enforcement, and 8yrs as a paramedic. i eat mostly wild game and hunt about anything that lives in the woods. i am starting to workout and diet to get back into shape. i wish i never would have stopped working out. its easier to continue than to stop get fat and lazy and then try to work it off.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
HAMMER1DOWN

hell i would be way on the right track on having the upper hand, I know where there are abandoned mines that could be used to hide in. I live less that 25 miles from some very forested hills and have hunted them since i could hold a rifle, there are ponds that can be used for fishing and freshwater there are plenty of little springs up there. I have thought of the RED DAWN scenario and would like to think that my army/hunting skills would give me the upper hand.
Bones Out
Old March 10, 2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Read Dawn?

Who's the author?
Old March 10, 2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Big Bill

Sorry Mike!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 10, 2009, 09:56 PM   #6
feudalson

with todays modern arms and warfare tactics... citizens could not withstand a full on invasion of a occupying country ... outgunned... outmanned... and outspent...
"It is destiny"--phrase of the weak human heart; dark apology for every error. The strong and the virtuous admit no destiny. On earth, guides conscience; in heaven, watches God. And destiny is but the phantom we invoke to silence the one, to dethrone the other.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:01 PM   #7
HAMMER1DOWN

Feudalson/// I will be da**ed if i am just going to lay down my arms and watch as me, family, friends, neighbors, and the such are just taken over by another country who thinks they can play ball with someone out of their league. I will die defending my home and family before i would dare surrender.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Creature

You give up to easily.

I would start with domestic pets left behind in the expected exodus...easy meat. As for woodcraft & skills, I can hold my own...I pretty much grew up in the woods.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:10 PM   #9
feudalson

the country boy can survive thing is overplayed im not saying give up i would never give up i would do everything in my power,,, till i could do nothing more... im simply saying... that in this day and age a red dawn scenario couldnt happen... rural areas of no use with resistance would just be bombed.. and urban areas would be cleared my mass numbers of troops if not just bombed as well... never give up.. but know your limitations... the only chance anyone would have if the goverment and troops failed to stop the invasion would be to move somewhere of little or no importance to the invaders and hope like hell that they dont find a reason to take it too... im not saying im a coward i know im not.. but common sense not pride should ditact your tactics...
"It is destiny"--phrase of the weak human heart; dark apology for every error. The strong and the virtuous admit no destiny. On earth, guides conscience; in heaven, watches God. And destiny is but the phantom we invoke to silence the one, to dethrone the other.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:28 PM   #10
scorpion_tyr

I can survive, here's why:

1. I've seen the movie.

2. I have all the right hardware.

3. I'm more comfortable in the woods than in the city.

4. USAF SERE School Graduate
Old March 10, 2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Ricky

look at almost any modern war

with todays modern arms and warfare tactics... citizens could not withstand a full on invasion of a occupying country ... outgunned... outmanned... and outspent...

Look at Afghanistan for instance. With all our military might we still only have partial control, before us (albeit with a little help) they were able to drive the Soviet military out.
Look at how the Russians drove out the German army during WW II

I have no crazy notions that it would be easy or fun, it would be hell on earth but it's possible that we could survive and even drive them out with hit and run tactics, sniping (good old deer rifle) and a little practice with IUD's.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:31 PM   #12
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
Outspent? Yes. Outmanned? Not likely. Outgunned? Have you seen some of the collections that have been posted in this forum alone?!

I'm very confident that the citizens of the US could defend themselves against an invasion force. You try playing a naughty commie trying to find someone in the same woods he's been hunting in since he was 12... or younger.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:31 PM   #13
BubbaFL

feudalson: Iraq and Afghanistan prove the effectiveness of that model, even against the best-equipped most high-tech forces ever fielded in the history of the world. I don't see why Americans couldn't do the same on US soil against a foreign invader, if the need arose.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:35 PM   #14
ar15chase

In my opinion if the Red-Dawn situation ever does happen in, a persons best bet would be a very well stocked "bug-out bag" and a few good guns. 1 person cant take on a entire army. Rambo was a fictional character. Your best bet would not be to fight, but hide and survive. Only kill if you cant run.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:41 PM   #15
chopz

a couple hundred million armed citizens? you'd need a heck of an occupying force. anyway, isn't american soil the place where guerilla warfare was invented in the first place, a couple hundred years ago?

anyway, i got news for ya'll. if you live out in the rural areas, you'd probably hardly notice the change. here in the more densely populated areas, that are the economic engine that runs the economy, is where the most oppressive controls would need to be enacted.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:44 PM   #16
Wildalaska

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha....

Any total disruption in the US infrastructure would lead to the deaths of 90% of Americans.

We are more fragile now than at anytime during the history of mankind.

Cling to your guns and Bug out bags, the only ones who live will be the ones who are most primitive now.

Go ahead, try it, forswear toilet paper, a change of clothes and a hot bath for two weeks

WildwearedoomedAlaska TM
Old March 10, 2009, 10:45 PM   #17
Ricky

Just like the movie

Sure, you could run and hide in the hills but the invading army would have time to get the cities under control and then eventually set out to clean up the outlying areas. Eventually they would come find you unless you are willing to live in a cave for the rest of your life.
Just like in the movie or in Afghanistan, in order to be free you must be willing to fight. People would run for the hills and eventually form militias. Those that know how would teach the ones than don't.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:48 PM   #18
evan1293

Like in the movie, I'd be the dead guy lieing in the street next to my pickup truck, still holding my .45.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:49 PM   #19
feudalson

i hope it never happens past that there isnt much else to say... there is a difference though between the people the army fought in irag and afghanistan then the people in this country ... alot of us have hunting experance ... some have military and combat experiance... the people of those regions are born into wars... they live it everyday... and i dont care what kind of collections have been shown on this forum as far as being outgunned... outgunned isnt a matter of how many guns one man has compared to one soldier.. its a full auto vs semi auto ... trust me when i say the ar15s or ak47s shown on this furom are outgunned by the full auto version carried by invading troops.. i have hunted all my life.. fished, tracked alittle.. made shelters.. fair woodsmanship... can trap...fair shot at long ranges... profeciant with most small arms... more than profeciant with knives.. its not that i dont know what one needs to know for such an affair its just that i understand the difference between the ak in my house and the 4 to 5 hundred of them that would move through most small towns... im all for confidence, and the will to fight is an honorable trait and i would fight and run and gun with everything i had and all who i could get to come with me... im just stating my opinion on the topic... a army of soldiers with tanks.. and automatic weapons .. helicoptors and bomb dropping planes would eventaully if not directly and completely over power commonfolk, woodsman or not ...
Old March 10, 2009, 10:52 PM   #20
onthejon55

Ive fished since i can remember and am confident enough in my hunting ability that getting food wouldnt be a problem. Everything i need to survive in the wild is at my house and it wouldnt take me long to gather my stuff and sketch out. If you think about the modern world, there arent very many places out there that arent a days walk from civilization. This being said survival shouldnt be that hard considering the fact that scavenging necessary supplies would be easy. The easiest way to learn skill would be starting a garden at home, taking regular backpacking trips, and learning to get good with one rifle.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:53 PM   #21
Ricky

I patially agree with wildalaska

I think that at least 40% of our population would do what they were told by whoever was "In Charge". These folks are the "Sheeple"
Of the remaining 60% about half would be killed quickly, too many people with the same ideas, they would be easy to find and the aggressor might want to make an example of those who don't "conform"
But I think that people are pretty adaptive. Those that survive the initial attack, find a place to hide and re-group would quickly adapt to their new reality.
Old March 10, 2009, 10:58 PM   #22
drewbogdony

wow
now i really want to see this movie
Old March 10, 2009, 11:18 PM   #23
ronl

Any such situation is highly unlikely at best. The sheer logistics involved in attacking the USA would pose problems that no military force in the world could accomplish. The US will fall internally, without any overt use of foreign military forces. Look around you.
Old March 10, 2009, 11:18 PM   #24
supergas452M

I'm going to say this one time on this forum and forever hold my peace.

I'm surprised that so many of you are going to be surprised. While you are spending your hard earned money on making your guns prettier the government is trying to come up with reasons to take them from you. While you are spending your money making your guns prettier, criminals are devising ways to take them from you. While you are concerned about making your guns prettier your boss is laying off employees and fearing for his job. While you are spending money making your guns prettier, others are losing their homes. While you are spending money making your guns prettier the true enlightened are storing food and water. While you are spending money making your guns prettier those of us who will not be surprised are storing ammunition. While you are spending money making your guns prettier there are others that are taking survival and CQB training. If my beliefs make me less enlightened in your eyes, so be it. If my beliefs can enlighten you, hurrah!

Friends, wake up and wake your friends and families too. Do it now, don't be surprised!

As I like to say from my poker days, "I'm all in."
Old March 10, 2009, 11:19 PM   #25
Big Bill

Quote:
a couple hundred million armed citizens?
Quote:
I think that at least 40% of our population would do what they were told by whoever was "In Charge". These folks are the "Sheeple"
Of the remaining 60% about half would be killed quickly
So, according to the definitions in this thread. That still leaves 60,000,000 armed citizens, which is an imposing army by any standard. There is nothing more fearsome than people fighting for their lives, wives and children and their homeland.
Closed Thread