The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Custom Guncase or Recycle?

Cleaning out basement and garage again, keep finding the many toolboxes that I have moved from place to place over the years.

Talking about the big plastic suitcase blow-mold type boxes used for power tools. They have individual compartments to fit each tool if you know what I am referring to?

Question is, are there any tricks for converting these into something useful? Don’t see how they could become a gun case, but thinking maybe there is some ingenious person(s) out there who have a good way to salvage these rugged bulky boxes.

Otherwise, these bulky gems are headed for the recycle bin (where I should have sent them years ago. They just take up too much space and I will not use them again for the power tools.

Any Ideas ? ? ?
Old March 5, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
GuyMontag

Go find a place where they sell bolts of cloth for upholstery projects. They will also have slabs of foam intended for seat cushions. They're in different sizes and thicknesses. You could easily buy a slab and cut it to fit. It's easy to cut with sharp scissors or an electric carving knife if you have one. Overstuff the tool case with foam and it would hold a pistol quite nicely.

Something like this:

http://www.perfectfit.com/15285/4743...ency-Foam.html
Old March 5, 2009, 09:49 PM   #3
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Yes, I think that would be possible, however I forgot to say that I have several that were big tool kits and are very large boxes. Some are 8, 10, 12 pc. drill/saw sets etc. Some are as big as a bushel basket. The deep cubes of foam found in your link may work good, I would have to do alot of plastic removal. That's a good idea, will give it some thought...thanks
Old March 6, 2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Travelin' Man

You could also consider using cases with many compartments as a range box, depending if you can fabricate covers for the compartments if needed, or as you stated, remove them to make a larger storage area. A Dremel tool with a an abrasive cutoff disk works wonder to remove plastic divider walls in cases and such.