The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2009, 09:47 PM   #1
GuyMontag

Molded earplugs

I've been using poly / rubber type earplugs for quite some time. They're the same issued to the Marines and were give to me by my brother. I've contemplated going to a better set of molded plugs.

I've thought of using active electronic muffs, but don't like giant muffs that much.

Are they worth it?
Should I just stick with what I'm using now?
Could anybody provide names of vendors?

I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old March 3, 2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Sevens

I'll share my small bit of experience, but I don't think it'll help much. I'll share anyway.

I went ahead and bought a set of the custom molded ones from a vendor at the National Matches at Camp Perry. You sit in a chair, he mixes up a thick liquid and pours it in to your ear and it molds to your ear cavity. IIRC, it cost about $45.

I just don't like them. The problem that I seem to have is no matter how I put them in or "burp" them, I seem to have a trapped-air kind of problem with them. It's like when you are sick and your ears are plugged. Or when you are on an airplane and descending. I don't know. Feels like my head is in a bubble.

More likely that it's my ears/head that seems incompatible. You should also get review from folks who like them. I just couldn't get comfortable with mine.