The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 26, 2009, 01:07 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What was the weather like today?

Easy with the lock button mods!!!
Situational awareness time folks!
I was reading up on the thread about a stick up scenario and got to thinking...
How many folks in the good ol' USofA have ZERO S.A. skills.
What was the weather conditions? Yes if yer wet it is raining and if yer leaning 30 degrees as you walk it is windy and if yer butt is sore as you slide on concrete it is likely icy! But was it overcast, clear, partially clouded...
As I walk from the car to the store or vice-versa, I am looking for feet under cars as well as other signs of trouble. even the birds in the dinky trees of a shopping center give off clues as to what is going on. I cannot remember stats, PAX... I admit it...
But some super high number of americans interviewed had ZERO knowledge of the daily weather within seconds of entering an office building and what really woke me up was how many folks tried to just reach in their butt and pull out an answer they thought was suitable. It went on to ask how many had seen a shooting star in their lifetime. I was a young guy at the time and my jaw literally fell open to find I am in a unique percentile having seen many hundreds if not thousands of them.
I am not special I am just AWAKE!!! I thought everyone had seen a shooting star by age 8-10.
someone may well get the jump on me and be holding me at gunpoint but it is not just anyone that has this ability. If folks would approach their day as if it could be their last and only their awareness will save them, we would hear of less violent crime me thinks...
Okay my rant battery is low and needs re-charged now...
Brent
Old January 26, 2009, 11:26 AM   #2
dabigguns357

You are currect today it's snowing and not many people will be out but if i have to go out today i'll have to walk,which means that i'm near enough to the store to do so,which also means i'll be packin more than groceries.I think of it more like this,what if you have fallen on the ice and snow while carrying your bags and some one came up to help but instead of helping you,they help them selves with your wallet and other stuff,now you are not only down but out as well.On top of all this while robbing you they started hitting you or worse pilfering through your person to try and find other goodies like your gun.God i hope none of this ever happens to me or anyone else,but if it did i would only hope that someone else would come by see what was going on and try to help.I'de have to make a stand so to speak while sitting and hope for the best.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:42 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I wasn't trying to suggest that weather was about SD. Rather, just how many folks have no clue. If they are unaware of the weather than they are likely not aware of any other surroundings.
Like my wife in walmart gets so mad at me cuz I sneak up on her and put my hand on her shoulder and in a deep voice I say "Ma'am, come with me..." she craps every time! This for the last 21 years too...
Brent
Old January 26, 2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Croz

High of about 76 degrees, and clear as a bell. Water temp at the beach was about 65 degrees.

I closely visually examined all bikini wearers for evidence of weapons. Found none.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wasn't trying to suggest that weather was about SD. Rather, just how many folks have no clue. If they are unaware of the weather than they are likely not aware of any other surroundings.
Like my wife in walmart gets so mad at me cuz I sneak up on her and put my hand on her shoulder and in a deep voice I say "Ma'am, come with me..." she craps every time! This for the last 21 years too...
Brent

You're dead on. How many people walk through the door of a store and stop just inside, blocking the entrance for the 5 people behind them, and stand there like idiots, completely oblivious.

How many times has someone asked "How are you?" and when you say "Fine, how are you?" they say "Fine, how are you?" No attention what so ever.

An old boss of mine showed me one day just how oblivious people can be, he tried telling me that if you pick the right people you can call them names and they'll smile and walk away. I didn't believe him so he showed me, we worked in a bank and he was cashing a check for a guy. After he counted out the money he said "Have a nice day, jerk." The guy said "You too." and walked away.

The vast majority of people live life in a nice comfy daze.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:33 PM   #6
#18indycolts

I'm a firefighter/paramedic in Indy and S.A. skills were drilled into us from the beginning. Using them at work, I find myself using them outside of work also. It just shows how much of the vast majority of this country are walking sheep, apathy and ignorance abroad! When [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] hits the fan, people find themselves saying, "wow, how'd I get myself into this mess". Well thats an easy answer, "um well, your just an idiot plain and simple". I see it first hand and I can honestly say that...if you're one of those idiots, sorry didn't mean to offend.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:57 AM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Could be:

What was the whether like today?

Now, go figure...
Old January 28, 2009, 03:06 PM   #8
hyrczyk

Last night only went down to -18 as of 4am and now about 10. Nights beofre that -28 and -18 and highs in low single digits to 0. Suppse to get up to 20 for the next few days with snow-about time we get more snow. Hope it doesn't get warmer.
Old January 28, 2009, 03:15 PM   #9
mrclean77

Saw something slightly similar yrs ago - asked what the last thre road signs people saw were. Speed limits? Road signs? Warnings? People just had NO clue - I think 1 person got like 1 or 2 right. I think about that a lot when driving. I think it helps.

I also think my job (I have worked with kids w/MR/DDfor 10+ yrs) has helped. I have had much experience observing things that happen before/during/after problem behaviors and have worked with some individuals who have made me pretty keen to who/what is coming up behind me.

I won't say I never have my off-times/days, but the large majority of the time, you're gonna have to be pretty slick just to catch me out in space.

Old January 28, 2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Wagonman

I was at a training class today and we watched a video of a hold up, I was struck at the bystanders who just kept shopping while the clerk was held at gunpoint.