The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 17, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Tatsumi67

Just so I don't go not knowing..

Im assuming, as its common sense, that if you are in a room when "something goes down", and there is a LEO in that room, you are to NOT draw as it defaults to the LEO to draw and interdict?

I don't have my CCW yet (to young) but is that how it works?
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old January 17, 2009, 10:56 PM   #2
btolliverjr

wouldn't be a good idea. if you draw your weapon in a situation with a LEO in the room, guess who just became another target for the LEO He doesn't know that you are on his side.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Tatsumi67

Quote:
wouldn't be a good idea. if you draw your weapon in a situation with a LEO in the room, guess who just became another target for the LEO He doesn't know that you are on his side.
Maybe I wasnt clear enough: what I mean is, are you to NOT DRAW when a LEO is in the room, becuase he/she will be the one who should draw?
Old January 17, 2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Teuthis

If something "goes down" in a room, there is no necessity for you to do anything anyway. Perhaps the best thing you can do is quietly and acutely observe. Our CCW permits are for self defense, not saving the world. The best thing you could do is nothing, but if you are threatened, get to a defensive position where, if necessary, you could protect yourself and others. The worst thing might be to engage someone in a firefight in order to stop a crime where bystanders might be hurt or killed for no good reason.

Ask yourself.. are you a gunfighter with training and experience in combat and up close firefights? Are you ready to die in a close confrontation if it is not absolutely necessary?

Do you want to end up in endless trouble for accidently shooting bystanders by starting a firefight when it might not have happened otherwise? I would use great caution and reserve before taking action in some situation. Life and death.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Tatsumi67

Quote:
Thats the answer I expected and wanted to hear, thanks.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Tatsumi67

End Thread
Old January 17, 2009, 11:37 PM   #7
btolliverjr

Quote:
If something "goes down" in a room, there is no necessity for you to do anything anyway. Perhaps the best thing you can do is quietly and acutely observe. Our CCW permits are for self defense, not saving the world.
Actually your permit is to protect both yourself AND others. If you are in McDonalds and someone comes in and opens fire on someone else, are you just going to sit there with your gun on your side and do nothing while he kills innocent people? or are you going to neutralize the threat and keep him from killing innocent people? Would you wait to open fire until he attacked specifically you?

Quote:
Maybe I wasnt clear enough: what I mean is, are you to NOT DRAW when a LEO is in the room, becuase he/she will be the one who should draw?
Again, if you find out a LEO is in the room, you should not draw your weapon! If you have already drawn it and then find out of the LEO, you should immediately put down and step away from your weapon and make it clear that you are not there to do harm. again, he doesn't know whose side you are on.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:38 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

I've got to admit I'm confused by your last few posts, Tatsumi67. First you say the quoted text showed that you hadn't been clear in your question, then the same quote is what you were looking for. ???
Old January 17, 2009, 11:46 PM   #9
btolliverjr

+1! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was confused by that.
Old January 19, 2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
+1 to that.
Old January 19, 2009, 04:17 PM   #11
blume357

When ever and where ever you draw your weapon you are

now a target... that's why there are very strict rules of why and when you should.

Just keep in mind if you ever do draw it... it is a bad day. how bad depends on a lot of things, many of them unknown.
Old January 19, 2009, 07:47 PM   #12
David Armstrong

+1 to what Teuthis said. Just because something "goes down" doesn't mean you have to get involved with it, LE presence or not. It is not a good idea to draw your weapon unless you or a loved one is in imminent danger.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:13 PM   #13
btolliverjr

David, Please read post #7. Are you saying that if someone elses mother or grandmother or daughter was in imminent danger and you were able to stop the threat that you wouldn't?
Old January 20, 2009, 03:23 PM   #14
kalstrand

In Oklahoma the law specifically mentions you can use the firearm to defend yourself, a family member, or an employee. It doesn't say you can defend anyone else. I guess if you find yourself in a situation its up to you to decide if you will defend someone else.
Old January 20, 2009, 03:51 PM   #15
Bitmap

Quote:
Quote:
If something "goes down" in a room, there is no necessity for you to do anything anyway. Perhaps the best thing you can do is quietly and acutely observe. Our CCW permits are for self defense, not saving the world.

Quote:
Actually your permit is to protect both yourself AND others. If you are in McDonalds and someone comes in and opens fire on someone else, are you just going to sit there with your gun on your side and do nothing while he kills innocent people? or are you going to neutralize the threat and keep him from killing innocent people? Would you wait to open fire until he attacked specifically you?
Actually, that is a wise approach. You don't have an obligation to risk your own safety to try and protect others. However, if you do try and you make a mistake you will get all the blame and all the legal problems and legal bills. You may also get yourself killed or crippled.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:40 PM   #16
B.N.Real

If I am in the room and "something goes down" and I am armed.

I WILL draw my weapon and keep it down,out of sight.

I am not going to gamble on ANYBODY to keep me safe if there is someone in a room that is endangering me or anyone else in the room.

You can have a drawn weapon and not be open about it.

Aim it at the floor and simply be quiet.

If the LEO needs help,you are ready to help.

If not,you just put your handgun away.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:48 PM   #17
btolliverjr

Quote:
Actually, that is a wise approach. You don't have an obligation to risk your own safety to try and protect others. However, if you do try and you make a mistake you will get all the blame and all the legal problems and legal bills. You may also get yourself killed or crippled.
Sorry, but if I was in a room and a perp came in and pulled a gun and was going to kill someone else, even if I had never met that person before, I would take action. I couldn't just sit back and watch that person be killed just becuase they weren't "MY" loved one. The are definately someone elses!
Old January 20, 2009, 07:13 PM   #18
csmsss

The idea of blithely sitting there doing nothing while a bad guy kills other people is repellent to me. That innocent person about to be killed is someone's wife, mother, brother, father, whatever. I couldn't live with myself if I knew that I had the opportunity to stop the killing and did absolutely nothing to do so.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:15 PM   #19
chris in va

Quote:
Are you saying that if someone elses mother or grandmother or daughter was in imminent danger and you were able to stop the threat that you wouldn't?
There are definitely people out there that wouldn't take action to prevent/lessen a crime. Believe it.

Much of it stems from litigation fear and regulations. Sad.
Old January 20, 2009, 10:13 PM   #20
btolliverjr

Quote:
The idea of blithely sitting there doing nothing while a bad guy kills other people is repellent to me. That innocent person about to be killed is someone's wife, mother, brother, father, whatever. I couldn't live with myself if I knew that I had the opportunity to stop the killing and did absolutely nothing to do so.
Glad to hear there is at least one other person out there that would protect my family or friends or just innocent people (ie. someones loved ones)
Thanks csmsss
Old January 20, 2009, 10:45 PM   #21
csmsss

Quote:
Glad to hear there is at least one other person out there that would protect my family or friends or just innocent people (ie. someones loved ones)
Thanks csmsss
Hey, no problem. It's just how I'm made. I've got a daughter, and as much as I desperately want to be around for her as she grows up, there's a big part of me that wants her to know that her daddy would do the right thing in a time of emergency, and not just the convenient/safe thing.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:08 PM   #22
scorpion_tyr

This situation would come with so many variables that it's impossible to list them. My best answer is to just do what seems right at the time. If the BG is right next to me with the LEO across the room I'm probably going to hit the floor. If the LEO is in front or beside me I'm probably going to draw and try to position myself where I can take aim at the BG without even looking like I'm aiming at the LEO. Then I'd just keep my mouth shut.

Once again... it's all about what seems right at the time. I wouldn't take a yes or no answer and run with it in every similar scenario.
Old January 21, 2009, 01:33 PM   #23
David Armstrong

Quote:
David, Please read post #7. Are you saying that if someone elses mother or grandmother or daughter was in imminent danger and you were able to stop the threat that you wouldn't?
Depends on lots of variables. The OP was "something going down." That covers a lot of territory. As for Mom and Ganny and daughter, WHAT is going down? Who am I with? What is the danger to me and my family? Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea.
Old January 21, 2009, 04:30 PM   #24
Jim March

What you DO is, you take cover from the bad guy's fire yet try and keep an eye on the cop. Let him/her take first crack at the problem. Don't let them know you're armed. But damned well get ready to step in if the cop is losing or runs dry because it's nearly certain that a cop-killer will try and eliminate witnesses and you WILL be the next target.

As a bonus, if you can keep a wounded or ammo-less cop from getting "finished off", so much the better.

If you have to let the cop know he/she has a potential ally, calmly but clearly say "I'm a CCW permitholder - do you need help!?" All cops have the ability to deputize citizens during an emergency - it's extremely rare but it can happen.
Old January 21, 2009, 04:47 PM   #25
#18indycolts

Try asking a cop what they would prefer YOU do. There won't be just one cop handling this problem for long...it won't take long for a situation like this to be crowded with cops...and you're there with your gun...think any of the cops are going to have their guns drawn on YOU? You bet.