The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2008, 09:02 PM   #1
scorpion_tyr

000 BK?

I use 00 BK right now in my 12g pump. What do you, who are far more informed than me, think about using 000 BK in in a home defense shotgun?
Old December 2, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
wnycollector

Fiocchi low recoil 00 buck user here. IIRC 000 buck is only in 3" shells...for HD I think it might be overkill!
Old December 2, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The 000 is not needed for my needs. 00 is going to serve fine. My main HD bedside baby is a 20 so the biggest I can locally find is #3buck.
If I need more than that I have slugs or step into the closet and come out with the 12 with 28 inch barrel and 00...
Brent
Old December 2, 2008, 10:29 PM   #4
publius

In my opinion OOO has no good use. OO is the largest I will go and I prefer 1 buck. your pattern will become more sparse as you move up in shot size. OOO just has too few pellets. I have come to beleive that 1 or O buck gives the best comprimise of shot size and pattern density.
Old December 2, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5
SPUSCG

i use 2.75 inch 000.
Old December 2, 2008, 10:35 PM   #6
ovrmydeadbdy

I agree with publius. you also have to think, are you the sole user of the gun? or might your wife/girlfriend pick it up in the heat of a situation. I know my wife doesn't like the kick of the 12 guage, so she can hip it pretty good and accuratly with the 1 or 0 buck. It's already been said, but the 000 will make your shot group smaller.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:05 PM   #7
Nnobby45

Quote:
In my opinion OOO has no good use. OO is the largest I will go and I prefer 1 buck. your pattern will become more sparse as you move up in shot size. OOO just has too few pellets. I have come to beleive that 1 or O buck gives the best comprimise of shot size and pattern density.
Standard 2 3/4" 00 buck load is 9 pellets. Standard 000 buck is a very efficient 8 pellets.

NOTE: When going to 3" mag., the 00 buck is 15 pellets (a significant increase) vs. only 10 (rather insignificant) for 000 buck.

Many LE 00 buck loads are also 8 pellet loads, with no difference in street performance compared to the 9 pellet load, that I'm aware of.

000 would appear to be the better deal in the 2 3/4" load, but the heavier shot gives rise to over penetration concerns, and the 000 doesn't usuall pattern as uniformly as the 00 buck.

And last, 00 buck works so well, there has never been a reason to change--unless it's to lighter shot when penetration is a worry.