The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2008, 03:20 PM   #1
roker

NEF 20 ga Pardner Pump

I have been looking at these for my young son. I think the synthetic stock would be nice as it should be low maintainence. Anyone have an opinion as to how good/ reliable they are? Thanks!
Old November 29, 2008, 05:42 PM   #2
banditt007

if its anything like their single shot, its built like a tank! i dont have much to add other than you might think of a few different things. such as getting wood and not the synthetic, being that the wood weighs more and the gun will recoil less b/c of it. i dont find any more or less maintainence w/ wood vs synthetic...

also unless there is a specific reason, i'd get the 12 gauge. there are many 12 gauge shells that shoot a 1oz and some even 7/8oz load out of them. AKA basically the exact same recoil as a 20 gauge. and when you want to upload, the sky is the limit w/ the 12 gauge, ammo is a bit more available and varied ect. so IMO if you are only looking at the 20 gauge b/c of a recoil standpoint, its a moot point. on top of that (gotta check the specs) many 20 gauges weigh less than a 12 gauge. which means shooting the same payload at the same FPS will result in a higher recoil of the 20 gauge.

before you lay down the cash for one def have your son try it on for size. others can chime in on how well its built but thats my $0.02 good luck on your purchase and teach him safe shooting habits.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Roker, Not that it makes them junk, The NEF pumps are chinese... Walmart will get you a 20 gauge Mossberg Maverick 88 ordered in for under 200 bucks and it is made in the good ol' USofA...
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 06:00 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For the best IMHO you could go with the super bantam 500 20 gauge with a stock system to grow into...
http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
This link is to their youth size Mossberg 500's.
Somewhere is the mavericks I just don't see them.
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 10:30 PM   #5
MAX100

I would say go with the 12Ga Pardner pump shotgun also. The PP is very close copy of the Remington 870 and you can put a 870 youth stock on it. Later on when your son is older he will have the regular stock and a 12Ga and can shoot standard power loads. Speaking with a lot of experience with these shotguns, they are well made and will give a lifetime of good service.

GC
Old November 30, 2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple things.....

First, shotguns need to fit the user. Synthetic stocks are harder to modify than wooden ones.

Mossberg makes a bantam stocked 500 in 20 gauge. They'll sell you a full sized stock later for half off.

Remington's 870 Express YE model has about a 13" LOP, suitable for many youngsters. The YE can be restocked later with an adult sized stock. The one here is so equipped.

Both of these companies make their guns here. Both will be around for a long time. The 500 and the 870 have proven track records. The Chinese stuff has no record, and parts may be difficult to find down the road. They may be impossible to find, for that matter.

Buy American. Good US made pumpguns are neither expensive nor scarce.
Old November 30, 2008, 08:49 AM   #7
johnnyeastside

When I was shopping for a Mossberg 500, I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and the kid there showed me the Pardner Protector. It was only $189. He told me some facts about the gun. I looked at it for a moment and said, "I think I'd like to spend more than $180 on a gun". What I meant by that is, I considered this a pretty important purchase, like not buying the cheapest tires for my wife's car, etc. In my house, every dollar counts, but I'd rather spend a little more rather than compromise. A $300 investment could have been a $200 waste of money. The chinese aspect crossed my mind, but everything is chinese nowadays. That being said, what would be worse-buying a chinese gun from Dicks, or buying anything from Walmart.....
Old November 30, 2008, 09:56 AM   #8
MAX100

The HAWK 982 is the older brother of the Pardner Pump.They are basically the same shotgun. The PP has a different style receiver. The 982 has been in the US for 10 years with thousands sold. It has proven track record. Very rarely do you ever see post on the forums about one having problems. You see post about 870 shotguns having problems all the time.

Remington H&R has a excellent warranty and they stand behind the PP. If you go with the 12Ga PP all of the 870 parts interchange and will fit it. Not the barrels.

I own both, Pardner Pump and a Hawk 982 Norinco made shotguns. So I speak with experience.

GC
Old November 30, 2008, 10:58 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Buying chinese from anywhere IMHO is worse than buying american at walmart...
Brent
Old November 30, 2008, 11:18 AM   #10
MAX100

The OP is not asking about anyones feelings on China. He is asking how good and reliable these shotguns are.

GC
Old November 30, 2008, 11:36 AM   #11
roker

Thanks for the great info guy's! I was not aware they were made in China. The single shot Pardner I have say's made in USA. He wants a pump for quick follow up shots though. I will check into the USA made models & see if anything catches his eye.
Old November 30, 2008, 02:03 PM   #12
troy_mclure

pardner used to be new england. the first pardner models were old new england stock.

pardner isnt as bad as charles daily.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 30, 2008, 02:22 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Troy, what is the difference in the 2 chinese guns? The NEF singles are still american made, I have no idea why they couldn't profitably make the pump here like mossberg does.
Brent
Old December 1, 2008, 01:38 AM   #14
ksmash01

I think I can chime in on this one

H&R , NEF(New England Firearms), and Marlin were all under the same banner before Remington bought the three companies. I do believe Remington will indeed take care of it's customers when it comes to the question of parts availability. That said...

The Pardner Pump, and the Hawk 982 are different in the rear part of the reciever where it meets the stock. The 982 is cut more like an 870 where the Pardner has it's own unique contour. The 982 (at my store) has a ghost ring rear sight and a ramp front sight, whereas the Pardner has a bead in front. Thier capacities are the same(5+1). The Pardner is imported by NEF(under the H&R banner), while the Hawk 982 is imported by interstate arms, also known as interarms.

Roker, the question is, what is the intended use for the shotgun. If it's meant to break him in to shotgun shooting, then the Pardner will work, as they are really solid firearms. They are offered at a competetive price compared to Mossberg, but I feel that they(Mossberg), and Remington make a better product. I own an 870 express magnum, and a Mossberg 500 8-shot persuader. I prefered them over the PP, and the 982 as all 4 models were available to me at the time I purchased. Would I purchase either now that I have two of the most reliable shotguns ever produced? Yes. I would feel comfortable with either. But I would not recommend the Charles Daly offerings, as they do not feel anywhere near as substantial as the two Chinese models. The Charles Daly shotguns are made by KBI in Turkey.

Kalen
Old December 1, 2008, 10:49 AM   #15
roker

Yep... just to get him broken in shooting a shotgun. Might talk him into a 12 as it has more choices in ammo. I think you can even get light loads in 12 ga. Looking at Maverick & Remington's online yesterday.
Old December 1, 2008, 11:03 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The 20 gauge Maverick item number is #32200... the 12 is #31010 the 12 with 18 inch barrel is #31023 In case you haven't located them.
Brent
Old December 1, 2008, 06:19 PM   #17
MAX100

Quote:
The Pardner is imported by NEF(under the H&R banner), while the Hawk 982 is imported by interstate arms, also known as interarms.
Let me clear a few things up. The Pardner Pump is not imported by H&R NEF it is imported by IAC Hawk ind for H&R. The PP shotguns have Hawk ind engraved on the right side of the receiver.

The HAWK 982 and the Pardner Pump made by Norico are one hell of a deal. They have the following:

Machined Extractor & Ejector

Metal trigger guard

5+1 Capacity and 7+1 with a tube ext

All 870 parts fit, not the barrels.

High carbon hardened steel receiver thicker than the 870

982 has a nice set of ghost ring sights that would cost you well over $100 if you had to buy similar set after market and have them installed

Pardner pump comes drilled and tapped for a scope mount

Barrel ring is in a better location than the 870 or Moss 500 as a tactical shotgun. Room to mount accessories between the forend and the barrel ring. Stronger setup with a mag tube extension because the tube ext is shorter, 3.5" long. No need for a mag clamp.

Comes with a good stock and forend just as good as a standard Mossberg 500. The wood stocks that come on the Pardner Pump are nicer or as nice as the wood stocks that comes on a standard 500 or 870

You would have to buy a 870P or a Wilson 870 to get what comes standard on a HAWK 982. They are an excellent deal. I sale over a hundred a year and make custom tube extensions for them. I know them well.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; December 1, 2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old December 1, 2008, 08:20 PM   #18
ksmash01

Quote:
Let me clear a few things up. The Pardner Pump is not imported by H&R NEF it is imported by IAC Hawk ind for H&R. The PP shotguns have Hawk ind engraved on the right side of the receiver.
He is right, thanks for correcting me. I just released a Pardner pump gun today, and it did say Hawk Industries on the reciever. I knew about IAC and the Hawk 982, but I didn't know they also import the Pardner pump for H&R/NEF. However the company selling them in the US is H&R/NEF.

Everyone saying that they are a good deal has spoken the truth about them.

Thank You Maxx for the correction, or should we start a back and forth about who knows what about them like most people do on internet forums when new information is presented
Old December 1, 2008, 09:03 PM   #19
MAX100

I am not interested in a back and forth. It is a waste of time. I covered most of it.

Here is picture of the Pardner Protector with one of my 7+1 GC tube extensions.

982 with 7+1 tube extension

Canadian ported Norinco made DA Grizzly short barrel beside an 870. Same shotgun as the 982 but the barrel ring is in the same location as the 870. The barrel and bolt will interchange with the 870. Nice shotguns. Picture was borrowed from another forum.

GC
Old December 2, 2008, 02:35 AM   #20
ksmash01

Quote:
I am not interested in a back and forth. It is a waste of time. I covered most of it.

I was kidding of course......

Those are nice shotguns. Where can I pick up one of those extentions for the 982? I'm thinking of buying the one at my store now.
Old December 2, 2008, 12:09 PM   #21
MAX100

Give me an email. Being a dealer I can give you dealer cost. If you going with the 982 I have few small upgrades for it; better screws for the rear GR Sight that replace the slot screws.

GC