The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 22, 2008, 03:28 AM   #1
dajowi

Obama And The Future Of Nfa Weapons

If Obama is fixated on the "firearms" problem so much so that he has to include a question pertaining to gun ownership on a questionnaire to prospective hires, it seems to me that he will damn well turn his attention to those people who have registered machineguns/subguns. Certainly a lot of us have speculated upon what types of events could be forthcoming regarding future actions. A common retort is "we'll be grandfathered in" if, for instance at a certain point all sales of FA weapons to civilians is outlawed. What about just plain old, "turn them in or else." Or perhaps some type of "buy back" scheme. The imagination runs wild. I'd say that the large majority of people who have FA have them registered with the feds. I wonder how many have considered selling them while they can, just in case. At $3500 and up per weapon, that could be a whole lot of merchandise just waiting to find its way into some type of "black market." The possibility does exist whereas the government could condemn a segment of the population as "criminal" under specific circumstances just like they did during prohibition.
Old November 22, 2008, 03:30 AM   #2
PTK

Most people, politicians included, already see the 1934NFA as a total ban. I'm not worried about that as their first priority.
Old December 4, 2008, 11:54 AM   #3
ScottsGT

True, probably over half don't even know the Registry even exists! And when they do learn of it, they will see that it is a big money maker, and just raise the tax 100%
Old December 7, 2008, 04:29 PM   #4
cspit

I don't know how you registry will work but if it is anything like it was here in Canada, you won't live long enough to pay for it
We are soooo far over budget and most of the police say it won't work.
What bad guy is going register his or her gun/guns?
Good Luck and stick together (You know what happens to a snowball when it rolls down a hill)
Old December 7, 2008, 04:51 PM   #5
cspit

something to read.

National Firearms Association President Blair Hagen says; "Rather than surrendering your city to criminal gangs by instead attacking the most law abiding members of your community, attack the root causes of that criminal activity and punish those that are responsible for it. That's something the National Firearms Association and the entire firearms community of Canada can support".

NFA President Blair Hagen continues "A growing number of Canadian politicians at all levels of government are getting the message that gun control laws directed at law abiding Canadians are not getting it done when it comes to reducing violence, Why does Mayor Miller ignores all facts and evidence and continues his crusade against law abiding people in Toronto and all of Ontario ?"
Old December 7, 2008, 04:55 PM   #6
B. Lahey

This discussion is not about Canada, you hosers!

Down here, NFA means "national firearms act", the law that has regulated machineguns, silencers, and various other fun items since the mid-30's.
Old December 7, 2008, 05:23 PM   #7
cspit

and they let you have a gun
This was to let you know what can happen loser
now go to hell
Old December 9, 2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Yellowfin

Why do the politicians in Canada continue their witch hunt against guns? Simple. You haven't punished them for doing so. They're still in office. Fix that problem.
Old December 9, 2008, 09:27 PM   #9
MaxHeadSpace

One provision in NFA licensing is that BATF, or other law enforcement can "inspect" the firearm pretty much without prior notice. If the NFA holder can't produce the registered firearm, that's "go to jail" stuff.

So there's not going to be any "black market" for registered NFA.

Obama has a heap of stuff on his plate to keep him busy. Gun grabbin' is way, way down the list. And the Demos have learned that "gun control" pretty much results in losing the White House and seats in Congress.

Nonetheless, Obama seems to have all his ducks lined up. He could slip an AWB through in the middle of the night and it'd encounter no obstacles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old December 9, 2008, 09:56 PM   #10
DonR101395

Quote:
One provision in NFA licensing is that BATF, or other law enforcement can "inspect" the firearm pretty much without prior notice. If the NFA holder can't produce the registered firearm, that's "go to jail" stuff.

More urban myth.

The ATF has a legal right to ask to see your tax stamp and they can't just show up and come in your house because they feel like it.
That said if an LEO asks to see your stamp, showing him will avoid a hassle.
You don't give up any rights just because you own NFA items.
Old December 10, 2008, 08:15 AM   #11
ScottsGT

I think a lot of people confuse owning a Title II weapon with holding an FFL.

As far as O passing another AWB, it won't be anything that sneaks up on us. This will be major news, the press will be all over it (and for it I may add) and it will be Congress that gets the ball rolling, not O.
Why don't WE start an AWB?? You know, an AWB for Hollywood. NO MORE EBR's ALLOWED IN ANY MOVIES PRODUCED OR SHOWN IN THE USA, UNLESS IT IS A HISTORICAL MOVIE. Hollywood deamonized out toys, made them the guns of "gangsters and bad guys, and no honest person needs more than 10 rds, bla, bla, bla..." Let's make THEM suffer first!!
Old December 10, 2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Wiskey_33

Quote:
CSPIT: and they let you have a gun
This was to let you know what can happen loser
now go to hell
Yea, you'll last long around here.
Old December 14, 2008, 06:16 PM   #13
publius

A new AWB won't come through under the cover of darkness. It'll be big news and much worse than the last one. It will encompass more weapons and if it passes it's here to stay. I think they will figure out that there is no way to seize all of the NFA weapons already out there. We must prepare for another AWB ban though, I don't think they'll try to push it through real early in his admistration but they will at some point. We can, and must beat it. Contribute to the NRA and let your elected officials know that if they vote for it they won't just be out of office, their political careers will be over!
Old December 14, 2008, 07:03 PM   #14
JLB

My Uzi was stolen last week, officer....

I sure hope you catch that politically incorrect lawbreaker.