The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1
USA123456789

HS trap team

I would like to get a trapshooting team started in my area preferably in my high school. Would this be a good sport for NE ohio? I would love if this would happen, but we are a suburb of Youngstown which is in the top 20 ranked murder areas in the country (LOOK IT UP TRUST ME WE ARE). I was wondering if you guys had any ideas to propose this to the board of education
and what topics to cover. Anything please. Me and my brother have been doing this for the last 8 years. HELP

Please leave a response i would like to propose this in january. so i could get it in by next year. Doubt it'll happen though.

leave anything that will help in the background info or anything i dont care what it is just leave it.

BIGJIMP or any of you trap skeet or sporting guys help a kid trap shooter out here

USA USA USA USA

Last edited by USA123456789; November 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Sebring Pop

I commend you on trying to start up a Trap team. I'll tell you of my experience. I am very heavy in Skeet and Bulls eye and dabble in many other forms of shooting sports. I taught my son and daughter both sports and they got quite good at both. College years came along and the both went threw to receive there Masters while I happily paid for both. Long after I found out there are colleges out there giving scholarships in varies types of shooting sports. I missed the boat but this could be one thing you could consider in starting up your team.
Best of Luck
and keep us posted
Pop

IN GOD WE TRUST............ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old November 18, 2008, 08:53 PM   #3
tacticalmedic

Try this link

http://www.nssf.org/SCTP/ I believe they will be able to help you.
Old November 18, 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Hellbent11

As a H.S. teacher I think it is a great idea! However, I think that you will not be able to get it past your administration for a few reasons. #1 Liability - this is the number ONE issue in education today and a shooting sports team runs a high risk of lawsuits. I could tell you stories upon stories about how this freaks out administrators. #2 Funding - administrators hate to pay for anything EXCEPT sports. You wouldn't fall under this becuase you probably would not be school sanctioned. Just reassure administrators that they will not have to pay anything. #3 Image - Guns and students equal = the end of the world as we know it, will open the 7th gate of Hell, sucked into a black hole etc. etc. etc... You will have to battle negative stereotypes and anti's that freak out at this kind of stuff.

So enough problems how bout some solutions... I'd go with the "club" angle - bunch of young people representing the school well - think Brady Bunch, mom's apple pie, baseball etc. Try to make it more of a "club" rather than a "team"

YOU MUST HAVE parental support - a bunch of angry parents can work miracles! Find some folks who will pitch a fit to get what they want.

You also have to have adult supervision - no matter how well you know safety etc! this will make adults/admin much more at ease This could be as simple as a coach

Work on public image like picking up trash and community service etc...Try to portray "happy, healthy kids learning!" It's cheesy but it melts their hearts.

***Also,*** Be careful of the language you use when refering to your team! Make sure to call guns "firearms" and targets "clays" and refer to what you're doing as a "sport" Words have very powerful meaning both good and bad...choose them carefully

Good luck and shout if you need help! Hellbent
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Old November 18, 2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Hellbent11

this is not a rant I just want you to consider

Realize that the MAJORITY of teachers/administrators are politically left leaning at best or near outright commie pinko's! This means that they generally disagree with firearms in any fashion. I just say that to make sure you are aware of who your trying to sell this to. Sell to your target audience

Oh , and another thing - You yourself have to be careful in how you carry yourself and your personal conduct. You are going to be asking about letting kids have guns - I'd bet a year's pay that the administrators/ school resource officer (SRO) will take "a closer look" at you personally. They will walk around your car in the parking lot maybe open your locker, and/or ask your teachers "how you are "doing""
This means no loose shells in the car! knives - anything that could be considered a weapon! nothing objectionable in your locker like tobacco, dope, girly mags etc...

I'm not trying to scare you or deter you in any way, I just want you to be aware. Hellbent
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Old November 18, 2008, 10:56 PM   #6
USA123456789

Hellbent. Maybe the high school trap team is a radical idea. With the administration and all that could end horribly. I know that my administration is paranoid about drugs, and what ever but, on the other hand getting a trap shooting "CLUB" started would be a better idea.

Oh. The problems with the kids running around with "firearms" thing. I actually presented this idea to one of my teachers that is an avidly hunts and he thinks its a bad idea to have a bunch of high schoolers running around with "firearms".

I'm on the honor roll so i don't think the "administration" should care about me that much. They have 800 or so other crazy pot headed high school teens to worry about.(or what ever else you could possibly want to call my generation)

Not only will it open the 7th gate of hell its going to at least open 10 others. So it will turn out to be equal to the death of a Red Super Giant. lol

USA USA USA USA

Last edited by USA123456789; November 18, 2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: I really dont know why i edited this, im bored i guess
Old November 19, 2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Hellbent11

USA - You sound like a great young person. I think you'll be fine like you said. It's a shame that a small minority of bad kids ruin it for all the good ones out there.

If I were you I'd persue the club thing like you said and get a coach. You could contact other interested students form other schools and have your teams compete. You may also want to include adults/parents to represent the schools and that may bring more interest/attention to what you're doing. maybe a charity shoot- good PR!

Take it easy, Hellbent
Old November 19, 2008, 10:23 PM   #8
USA123456789

Thanks for the advice Hellbent.

Getting the coach wouldn't be a problem there are 4 gun clubs within 15 miles of my house.

The charity shoot is a great idea.

USA USA USA USA
Old December 16, 2008, 02:55 AM   #9
hollywood marine

USA: I suggest thst you contact your local gun clubs to ask if they have a Scholastic Clay Target Program at their club. The program is for 7th through 12th graders and, at the higher competitive levels, leads to college scholarships ertc.
Old December 16, 2008, 06:09 PM   #10
USA123456789

hollywood and whomever dares to read...........

yes Hollywood. I am a life member of my gun club already and i have tried to have a scholastic clays team started in my area but there is to many stuck-up people in the area that think trapshooting is a sport for hillbillies, and they say "ah it deals with guns ah we cant have that ah" "we'll set a bad image for the community ah" " ah bad image on the community ah " And the only thing they do is ramble on more and more every time I bring the subject UP. I think that everyone is whipped like a women does to a man, but dealing with this out of control gun banning piece of 3##t government that we have set up right now. Just look at them all of the bans they want to do. Just like in Illinois, I cant even go to the Wal-Mart and buy a flat of shells with out my plastic ATA card b/c of gun bans and etc..We are lucky that we have the NRA is around to help gun owners of America or we would all be screwed if we did not have them the country would be a mess.

The kids in my grade play with their dinky little airsoft and paintball guns but there is only a handful that shoot anything dealing with any amout of gun powder.

I have been invited to shoot on 4 sctp teams but the closest team is 70 miles away ( I cant afford to drive 70 miles every week to shoot)

So i think im still going to push it through my BOE's thick heads that it is an educational and worth while sport. Take a look at the AIM program on
http://www.shootata.com/aim/aim4ata.html

I read through the whole thing 5 times.
Let me tell one more thing the district just bought a brand new turf football field and are building a brand new $2 mil stadium.
So why cant they afford 10 beretta's and a pallet of shells

Maybe one day my hope's will become lively and not sitting in some stupid filing cabinet at school.

AND IT IS NOT A SPORT FOR HILLBILLIES I TAKE GREAT OFFENSE TO THAT COMMENT.

USA USA USA USA
Old December 17, 2008, 10:33 AM   #11
zippy13

USA

We're all sympathetic to the plight of younger shooters these days. I'm a grandfather, when I was your age I was on the HS rifle team. Sadly, times have changed in the 40+ years since my HS days, and guns are no longer popular on campus.

As you're already well aware, the general public couldn't care less if you have a shooting program available to you. It's your fellow shooters who are going to be looking after the young shooters. Any shooter that doesn't realize that the future of shooting sports, and the 2nd Amendment, is with the next generation has their head buried in the sand.

I think you may have misunderstood hollywood marine. It's not your school nor the general public who are going to support a Scholastic Clay Target Program in your area, it's other shooters. Have you made an official presentation to your local* club's board of directors requesting them to investigate starting a SCTP at your club? FYI: Here's the link tp the SCTP page at my club's web site.
*local club: I'm assuming (and hoping) there is a trap club closer to you than the one 70-miles away.
Good luck and keep the faith
Old December 17, 2008, 07:48 PM   #12
USA123456789

Zippy. I know what i should do inturninaly in the gun club. But i personally think that the youth group advisors are lazy.
The trapshooting community in my area would support the sctp if i got the darn thing started already but there are problems with fundings and the availiblility of coaches in the area.

The club I have my trap club is 3 miles away from my house. Its so close i could rise my bike to it with the gun case shooting bag and a flat of shells no problem. But in unfortunitly the closest SCTP program is 70 mi away

USA USA USA USA
Old December 17, 2008, 07:53 PM   #13
USA123456789

Oh and Zippy im a little curious about how the school would act upon me knowing that i have a trap gun. That would be just great having the cops looking through the locker every week because the board thinks i have a gun in it.
Thank god they dont have the drug dogs to smell gun powder or i would be expelled right know. We just had a drug search last week and im thinking "I just went and shot a flat of shells last night, hopefully they cant smell gun powder" and the coat i was wearing had a couple extras from last night in it to so thats not good all alone.

USA USA USA USA