The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum > TFL Photo Contest

Old November 10, 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
New_Pollution1086

How Do You Vote?

How do you Vote

Based on the quality/creativity of the picture? Or based on your favorite/coolest gun? Or like me a combination of the two?

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 13, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
HKCHEF

Quality and creativity

Voting on the gun in the pic is pointless.
Old November 14, 2008, 10:42 AM   #3
grymster2007

The gun kinda has to be cool, but I think most guns are, so I don't discount too many on the basis that they're ordinary.

A little creativity in the background goes along way. I see a lot of photos where the gun gets thrown down on the nearest surface and the photog snaps away. Relevant staging can work wonders, but I don't care to see someone's cell phone, car keys, bedsheets, hand or face.... mostly face.

Blurry photos suck and I see way too many that look like they were shot by someone suffering delirium tremens, using a cell phone during an earthquake. However, employing a shallow depth of field to highlight some significant point of interest within the photo usually works the best for guns.... in my opinion anyway.

Lastly, Photoshopping to add un-natural effects usually don't sell me. Photoshop is your friend, but keeping the end product roughly within the realm of Earthly conventions works best for me.

So there! And I've earned the right to comment.... me and the entire 4 votes I got for my two entries!
Old November 17, 2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Shadi Khalil

I narrow it down to 2 pics that I like then let my girl, a photogrepher, tell me which is the better picture in terms of lines, shadows and so forth.....

Quote:
Lastly, Photoshopping to add un-natural effects usually don't sell me. Photoshop is your friend, but keeping the end product roughly within the realm of Earthly conventions works best for me
I agree.
Old November 17, 2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Grymster has my same thoughts down to a 'T'.

I like simple, classy, yet unique backgrounds.

Creative does NOT equal gawdy(sp). Too much can be had on backgrounds and such.

To be honest, when the photo contest first cranked up I thought people like PlayboyPenguin would run the table. Most others would be a snapshot of a gun laying on a bunch of its ammo. I underestimated peoples' taste and photography skills.

Guess I learn somethin' new every day....especially here.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 27, 2008, 04:46 AM   #6
BanditSRT8

I vote based on the quality of the photograph. It's a photo contest, not a gun contest.

Also, those who play photoshop games don't get a vote from me. Again, it is about photography, not "look how I can dazzle you with Photoshop". To me, photoshop takes away a lot of the hard work a real photographer puts into a perfect photo.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old November 27, 2008, 11:19 PM   #7
HKCHEF

Quote:
I vote based on the quality of the photograph. It's a photo contest, not a gun contest.

Also, those who play photoshop games don't get a vote from me. Again, it is about photography, not "look how I can dazzle you with Photoshop". To me, photoshop takes away a lot of the hard work a real photographer puts into a perfect photo.
I concur.
Old November 28, 2008, 12:52 AM   #8
tranks

i vote based on the quality, creativity, and coolest/rare gun.

mostly on the first two and the last usually comes in while i'm narrowing down to the best one.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old November 28, 2008, 01:00 AM   #9
B. Lahey

I vote for the best photo, although I have yet to see a photo so nicely done that it makes black plastic look attractive.

When in doubt, vote for Doogle. Outstanding photos.
Old December 16, 2008, 01:45 AM   #10
Dangerwing

Hope no one minds me bringing a 3 week old thread back to the top, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

For the most part, photo quality is key. However, a very unique collector's firearm might be able to trump a fair amount of artistic ability.

Only faithful men teach their wives to shoot.
Old January 1, 2009, 11:47 AM   #11
rbb50

I wish I had Photoshop

As it is all I have are a 35mm darkroom enlarger some 35mm slides and a little bit of creativity

Did anyone ever answer the question of how to vote or where to go to vote?

My new toy I got for Christmas might help with next months contest

Old January 1, 2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Bud Helms

Quote:
Did anyone ever answer the question of how to vote or where to go to vote?
Are you kidding? You are in the Photo Contest subforum. Open the voting poll thread titled for the same photo contest thread and click on the vote now button.

That is where to go to vote and how to vote all-in-one.

As far as the criteria you use to determine your vote ... that's entirely up to you.

Did anyone ever read this?