The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 29, 2008, 12:36 PM   #1
davem

SA COLT troubles

I have a 45 Colt SA clone that is giving me some problems. I'll shoot 3 or 4 rounds and then the revolver jams. I checked to see if the primers are getting blown backwards and they are not. I have polished the recoil shield in case that was a problem but I am still getting the jams. It's not that I can't cock it,that seems to be okay, I'm sure it is the cylinder itself. I bought this gun used and redid some of the parts, such as trigger, bolt, etc. I also put in a new base pin bushing because there seemed to be a lot of excess play back and forth on the cylinder and I thought such excess play may be unsafe. I have previously rebuilt S & W double actions without any problem. Maybe I got things too tight but I don't want to start filing away the front of the base pin bushing if something else is causing a problem.
Well that's not a lot go on, especially when you can't see or handle the gun but if anyone has any ideas on what's causing the problem I'd appreciate it.
Old August 29, 2008, 01:49 PM   #2
sundance44s

Sounds like things are a little tight ....I had a Uberti Colt that was acting like that ...wasn`t real sure where the problem was eaither ..so I tore into it and polished up the innards real good , and it fixed mine ...But with you adding the bushing to tighten the cylinder up ...I`d probally have to take a look there first ...Might just need a little stoneing there .
Old August 29, 2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
.But with you adding the bushing to tighten the cylinder up ...I`d probally have to take a look there first
That's what it sounds like. I wouldn't file it, just stone it a few strokes.
Old August 30, 2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

Sounds like you may not have gotten the bolt timing set right. If the hammer doesnt go forward far enough, the legs won't go over the cam & the cylinder will stay locked. Reducing the end shake in the cylinder can also have this effect, as can high primers; when the tolerances are extremely tight.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 30, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
davem

I'll check that, about the legs slipping off the cam. The way I set the timing, you have four clicks, the old C-O-L-T bit. In any event after the third click, when the cylinder locks, I only have to move the hammer back a fraction of an inch to catch, I was told that's the way it should be, otherwise you are stressing the parts. In any event maybe something is happening on the cam. I can cycle dry and all is well, I only have trouble after shooting a few rounds.
Old August 31, 2008, 02:56 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Sounds kinda like the handis binding or a hair long, that or if you have to put a bushing on the cyl. pin you have the wrong cylinder ... is it a Uberti? If so they made two cylinders one had a longer cylinder collar at the chamber end.

I got one can measure mine if you need it, overall or depth of collar...it may be binding with 3 shots of residue. .004" to .006" gap is great cyl. to forcing cone. Usually if the cyl has some play at the halfcock, it will be tight at fullcock...

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 31, 2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Dave Gafvert

SAA Jaming

Hi. I've been a antique gunsmith for 57 years so I might be able to solve your problem. The cylinder pin moves forward under recoil. What is happening is the cylinder pin is jamming the cylinder as the radius lets the pin lose support. try putting some tape around the pin after you push it all the way back in.