The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 28, 1999, 07:28 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Not a bad forum idea.
Kinda all incompassing Green Horn Coral... That idea - while off the cuff is actually a potentially good idea.
Rich, your idea/comment was talking about a coral to keep new forum members in till they get branded then they could be released onto the ranges...

But take the idea a step further - A Forum for new shooters where they could freely ask question in the safty of the shallow end of the pool and learn some stuff before moving into the deep end.

Can I mix anymore metaphores?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Old December 28, 1999, 08:15 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

This does perhaps have merit, though I might have suggested it in a more diplomatic manner and venue. I don't think a "newbie" forum is the proper title, though, since many of TFL's "newbies" are quite experienced.

Perhaps a "novice" forum? Unfortunately, the "novice" doesn't know which questions are truly rudimentary until they're more seasoned. It's only natural for the first time shooter to ask whether one piece of equipment is superior to another or whether his/her caliber choice is inferior.

Despite my own frustration at times, we want the new shooter to feel comfortable and welcome. So I don't see a novice/newbie Forum as a solution.

Member input sought.
Rich
Old December 28, 1999, 10:01 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Second thoughts on this matter:

What it would really be is a "Ask a stupid Question" forum... or "I want answers but dont wanna SEARCH"

Hmmm... Actually some old themes that keep popping up are good... Keeps Senior Senior members entertained and informs new members.
But I do cringe at some of the Kick a DEAD HORSE type threads.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Old December 28, 1999, 11:42 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Call it the:

9mm Vs 45ACP forum
Glock KB forum
1911 vs Glock Forum
Old December 29, 1999, 01:06 PM   #5
Mendocino

Rich, George:

I have been thinking that a "Novice" forum, or novice content within a given forum is a good idea. I was thinking this should be more of an FAQ within a given forum, as opposed to a "Novice Forum." Some of these subjects could include: safety, terminology, training resources, would ballistics etc. I know that I have grown greatly via TFL, but have found that information is often difficult to find because of TFL's breadth.

Regards,

Jeff
Old December 29, 1999, 04:46 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Jeff makes sense.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 29, 1999, 09:41 PM   #7
Grayfox

I don't think its such a good idea. One of the most heard comments on TFL is how newbies are always welcome and no question is stupid. Sure we have to rehash alot of old stuff, but isn't one of our goals to spread knowledge? Every new shooter adds to our strength to support RKBA.
Not a good idea to stick them in a corner until they're smart enough to play with the big kids.
Old December 30, 1999, 06:49 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Good Point Greyfox -
But many people out there may not want to ask a elementary question for fear of being preceived as a novice, or as stupid...

A detailed FAQ about Gun Questions is in order. Organized by general catagories.

I nominate Gary to do it since his taking two months off.
hehehe

------------------
Old December 30, 1999, 08:19 AM   #9
Bud Helms

If I may contribute ...

I am a newly registered TFL member and I think I will like it as a member.

I am an experienced shooter, reloader and work on my own guns, up to a point.

However, I agree with the Moderator and Grayfox. In my first visit, I am surprised at some of the questions I have read that are posted by "Senior"(?) members.

I don't believe that experience as a registered TFL member equates to experience as a shooter, reloader, etc. I'm sure of it.

One of the things I noticed years ago, as a fledgling reloader, was the tendency of those more experienced to not treat a new guy as a know-nuthin'. I have always tried to keep that attitude going when introducing new people to the cult.

The last person I got into reloading was a practicing physicist that soon was explaining things to ME about chamber pressures and primary and secondary vibration modes down a barrel. Wow.

Leave it alone please. Or title it "Questions About ..."

For what it's worth ...

Sensop
Old December 30, 1999, 11:51 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

George, are you volunteering me?

OK, gloves are off now. You are a liberal for volunteering another person's time and resource.

Rich, please make George an Administrator. That way, you, DC and Mykl can all go away together to Thunder Ranch for a working retreat. George with his newly appointed powers can also watch my forum during my absence. It's a win-win situation. Now, wouldn't that be fun?

------------------

Old December 31, 1999, 01:59 AM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Okay, Okay... geez...
Liberal? That hurt.
thought he took off for two months...
Hey, Dennis is good with words... Lets get Dennis to do it!

------------------

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited December 31, 1999).]
Old December 31, 1999, 09:05 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm not quite gone yet. Won't be here tomorrow though.

OK George and I extend my apologies upon your new suggestion that we saddle Dennis with all the work.

------------------

Old January 1, 2000, 09:13 AM   #13
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Hey - we agree! Dennis... write a detailed FAQ all about guns. Divided by both gun types and makes and models. and common answeres to related questions.
Can we have that by next saturday?
Thanks.
Oh... Made a sandwich for you...

------------------

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited January 01, 2000).]
Old January 1, 2000, 05:11 PM   #14
Mendocino

Below is a good example of where an FAQ in Handguns and Pistolcraft would be helpful:
[Link to invalid post]
Old January 2, 2000, 03:29 PM   #15
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Yikes! I leave you kids alone for just a few minutes and you cause me more work than I can accomplish in weeks!

If you want to see how "good" I can be with words, you two just keep on misbehaving. When Mykl comes home you two will be in BIG trouble!
-------

However, I DO have a couple suggestions (heh, heh, heh).

1) In the "Register" area, might it be a good idea to stress that this is a privately owned forum for members who agree to abide by the rules. While differences of opinions and debate are welcomed, members should conduct themselves as though they were in the livingroom of a new friend. (A friend with culture and class - unlike SOME members I could name....)

2. In some manner, perhaps also in the "Register" area, stress to new folks that they should read the FAQ area. There they could learn about UBB codes, smilies, etc. to their hearts content.

I realize both these suggestions belabor the obvious, but it is equally obvious that many (most?) new members just hit the "I agree" button and jump in - frequently with embarrassing results both to them and to us.

It might cut down on the erroneous attempts to use First Amendment Rights to justify flames and "naughtiness".
-------

George,
I have a possible name for your (ugh!) sandwich, the "Clinton Club" sandwich!

Whatcha think?
Old January 2, 2000, 06:18 PM   #16
Rich Lucibella
Staff

For those looking to gain knowledge, I'm willing to restate what's obvious to others. Mendo's post reference is a good example. Most people, when they first come here, don't feel an obligation to look around extensively....nor should they. They have a simple question and want a simple answer.

As long as guys like Grayfox and others are willing to respond help out in such situations, we've done a Mitzvah. (There truly are no stupid questions.) Often those guys stick around and contribute significantly.

As for stating the obvious in the Reg page....polite behavior should not need to be speeled out.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited January 02, 2000).]
Old January 2, 2000, 06:47 PM   #17
Christopher

A seperate "Stupid Questions" (not necessarily in those words) forum would be a good idea. I've been into guns and shooting for about 3/4 my whole life, but once in a while someone here or elsewhere will say something that just has me completely dumbstruck. Would it be possible on such a forum to just not use member names, sort of an "anonymous" type deal? I think the majority of people here, and the people that come here that are truly interested in this stuff would be responsible enough to not abuse it. Just to make sure no one messes around, could it be set up so that only administrators & moderators know the true identities of the posters? Just an idea.
Old January 2, 2000, 08:24 PM   #18
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Yes, sir, Rich. I agree. It was George's idea anyway.
Old January 3, 2000, 06:17 AM   #19
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

sneaking away...
Old January 3, 2000, 11:33 PM   #20
Jeff Thomas

Well, unless it's copyrighted, I suppose you guys could call it 'Shooting for Dummies ...'

sensop is certainly right in his observations. I've been visiting TFL for over a year now, and I know much more than when I started. However, I'm still a long ways from an experienced shooter. OTOH, I have greatly benefited from having my stupid questions answered politely and completely. And then I've been able to 'cement' some of that knowledge by being able to then pass it on to other new people. And, even on those subjects I thought I knew, seeing the question rehashed oftentimes sheds additional light, and perspective on the subject.

I like the expanded FAQ idea.

Now, if you really want another forum, I was honestly thinking about one for the ladies in our midst ... Just a strong bias of mine - we need to do everything we can, IMHO, to keep drawing women to this subject. Before they trash the RKBA, they would probably benefit from really understanding what they are about to give away ...

Take care. See you at the SHOT Show.

Regards from AZ
Old January 5, 2000, 12:15 AM   #21
Dorcas

Sorry to butt into the middle of the conversation here, but I'm much more in favor of a novice forum then a FAQ. My reasoning is that FAQs are almost always ignored. I think it would be a great idea to have a forum where novices can ask the meaning of ACP.

bkm...

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...