The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1
abs

Troubles with Browning semi-auto

I recently bought NIB golden clays; shot about 500 shells (Remington gun club target 1oz #8) at a trap range. I've got two problems:

First, when I load through the ejection port and press the release button, the cartridge does not completely enter the chamber, I have to pull the action back and press the release button again (happened 3 times within last 150 shells). Is there 'right way to put a shell into the port, say pointing a barrel down?

Another problem is that the port does not open automatically after a shot (I load always only one shell through the port); I have to open the port manually (happened twice within last 100 shells).

I'll appreciate any thoughts on that.
Old July 26, 2008, 10:12 PM   #2
abs

I just noticed fine script: "may not operate all auto loading firearms" on the ammo box (Remington gun club target 1oz #8). No such notice on the 1 1/8 oz shells... Could it be the source of my troubles?
Old July 27, 2008, 12:21 AM   #3
zoomie

The failure to eject (is that what's happening?) can be caused by the light target loads. The failure to load though is a weird one, though.

The Gold has the "feature" where if you load a shell into the magazine with the bolt back, it'll load it and close the bolt automatically, right? What happens when you try that? I think they call it Speed Loading.
Old July 27, 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Jeff Mulliken

Chambers can get "clingy". This can cause the symptoms you describe, particlularly with light loads and the failure to eject that you describe.

Chuck your cleaning rod in a drill, wrab your chamber brush with 0000 steel wool, load the wool with solvent and spin it in the chamber. Get that chamber completely clean.

Jeff
Old July 27, 2008, 03:25 PM   #5
mikenbarb

Try another brand of shells. The ones your usin dont sound like they do well in your gun. My Browning loves Federals and AA's. When loading it, It should chamber a round no matter what position the gun is in but the best way is with the muzzle pointed to the ground in a safe direction. Try the speed load feature. It works great on mine but it feels like your putting your fingers in a rat trap. It wont get your fingers. Alot of guys are scared to do it for the first few times but its a great way to load it. Open the bolt, Stick a shell in the magazine from underneath, and let it do it thing. It will cycle and load the shell automaticly without working the bolt. But your gun has to be open for this feature to work.
Another question is if their reloads or not? If so, The shells might not be sized properly. I know you clean your gun well so its proably not a dirty thing.
Old August 2, 2008, 06:26 PM   #6
sernv99

mike:

what model Browning do you have?
Old August 2, 2008, 08:18 PM   #7
mikenbarb

SERNV99, I own the following Browning products.- A-5, Gold 3.5, Silver and Clays. Im looking at another Gold 3" but dont know if im gonna grab it. The guys asking quite a bit for it. The ones im refering to is the 3.5, A-5 and the clays that like the Federals and AA's. I havnt tried those shells in my others yet. Why do you ask?.
Old August 3, 2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Shiner Bock

I have one but I never load it that way. I always use the speed feature with no problems.