The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 16, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
publius

Carry Method

About to get my TX license. Seems most think IWB is the best way to carry a revolver. Am I correct in assuming this? I will not walk around with my shirt untucked. Would I need to wear a sport jacket everywhere in this Houston heat? What about when wearing shorts, not gym shorts but nice khaki shorts w/a golf shirt. I have a 34" waist, how big will I have to go to carry IWB? Have a couple of small guns I could use for cc but the only one I would carry is a Bond derringer .357. Plan on getting something better, Smith 638, Kel-Tec. I know I am throwing alot of questions out at once but any help is appreciated. publius
Old June 17, 2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Keltyke

Several holster companies make "tuckable" IWB holsters. If you wear long pants, there's also the option of an ankle holster. Do a Google. If you're gonna carry a revolver, you need a small-frame 2" barrel, like the "J" series S&W or the Taurus Model 85. Both these (and there are others) will carry 5-6 rounds in a package small enough to easily conceal. For carry, I prefer the lightweight versions, but the recoil of a .357 in a lightweight frame can be brutal. Personally, I prefer the .38 spcl. +p instead of the .357 in a lightweight frame.
Old June 17, 2008, 08:29 AM   #3
hihosilver

I have found it almost impossible to conceal while tucking your shirt in. But, everyone is built different. I would look into a jframe (s&w 442 airweight $380)
or (taurus 85ul $289) snubnose. These are both 38 sp +pThey are wonderful for pocketcarry, unless you wear skintight pants. I would stay away from the extra light .357's. Recoil is totally impractical, about 25 shots at the range is all your hand can manage. Or at least that is my personal experience from just last weekend. I used to avoid revolvers, but pocket carry is a good choice, especially if you have to tuck your shirt in. That is all.....
Old June 17, 2008, 06:17 PM   #4
JN01

If you must wear a tucked in shirt, you might consider a Smartcarry holster, which has been reviewed a few times on this site if you do a search for it.
Old June 17, 2008, 06:51 PM   #5
2cooltoolz

Hi,
I live in Conroe, just north of Houston. I also prefer my shirt tail in most of the time.
High Noon "Alter Ego" tuckable IWB with Kahr MK9

Comp-Tac "Minotaur" tuckable IWB with MK9

Old June 17, 2008, 07:02 PM   #6
2cooltoolz

And there is always pocket carry. I actually took this picture complaining about the holster in the middle, which I cut up, but I cut it a bit more and have been carrying it for a couple of days with the PM9 Kahr. I generally wear Dockers style slacks for work and nicer cargo style pants casual.
Larger guns can be a bit uncomfortable, but nobody ever notices. The PM9 is about the max size for pocket carry.
One thing nice about pocket carry is you can casually slip your hand into your pocket and have gun in hand (in pocket) if something seems "not quite right".

DeSantis Nemesis holsters with Seecamp 32. Kahr PM9 and S&W 442
Old June 17, 2008, 07:28 PM   #7
publius

Thanks for the replies guys. I will probably get a j frame S&W as most of you, as well as I seem to like. I have a 36 right now but won't carry it for it's sentimental value as well as it's exposed hammer. Thinking about a Centinnel in the IWB 2cooltoolz has and a pocket holster. see what I like best.
Old June 18, 2008, 07:12 PM   #8
cschwanz

www.crossbreedholsters.com makes some great IWB holsters that are tuckable and EXTREMELY comfortable. They also mold the holster to whatever gun you specify to enssure a good tight fit. Worth a look.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old June 18, 2008, 08:43 PM   #9
rb4browns

I pocket carry my S&W 642 in a bob mika pocket holster. I wear slacks to work and it looks like a blackberry in my pocket (unfortunately there is a 30.06 sign posted in my building, but i carry to and from). Evenings and weekends in the Texas heat I'm usually in cargo shorts and it fits perfectly. I'm 5'6 155lbs w/a 32 inch waist FWIW, IWB is pretty uncomfortable for me.
Old June 19, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
the_pragmaticist

I am 6'2, 180 with a 33 inch waist, for comparison. I can tuck my Springfield champion (4 inch barrel 1911) at about 4:00 on my waist and it's completely concealed with the right shirt. I tend towards khakis and dress shirts; if you blouse the shirt just a little and you don't bend all the way over at the waist for any reason it stays very hidden.

I have a VMII on order (come on, October!) but for now I just use a High Noon mass production tuckable IWB. The stock safety on the Springer is a big honkin' thing which is actually in the process of being replaced with a colt-style safety - the big one digs into my skin (and the cheap holster doesn't protect above the trigger guard). I am hoping that with the smaller, rounded safety I will be able to carry against the skin without as much discomfort.

This is an argument for a 1911 (you can get a 3 incher from Colt, the Defender or the New Agent) because the shape and angle of the grip conform to your body nicely at the hip. The revolvers may do this as well; I've never carried one. The better holsters hold the gun tight against and high up on your body so a nice short barrel doesn't even print in your pants.

I am also making a statement of awareness. You are more aware of your weapon than 99% of the people you're going to be around. As long as you're carrying legally, the other 1% is (probably) law enforcement and other CCW holders. What I'm trying to say is that while you can walk the runway in front of a full length mirror for 15 minutes each morning trying to spot your own gun, very few people will be curious, if even aware, of whatever's under your shirt. If you carry a cell phone on your belt, put it near / over the weapon and all suspicion is diffused.

As do many of us, I like to play find-the-gun when I'm out and about. In the approximate year since I've taken an interest in concealed carry, I haven't positively identified a single armed citizen. That may tell you I'm unobservant, but I think the truth of the matter is that it's harder to spot than you think.

Something else to consider before you give up on wearing a blazer (at least on the cooler days) - your draw, no matter now much you practice both ways, is going to be significantly faster and more reliable if the weapon is NOT under your shirt. Attempting to clear your shirt and then draw adds time and variables (snags, shirt between hand and grip, etc) to your draw so if you do have the option, your weapon will be more accessible simply IWB and covered by a jacket. People do sometimes wonder why I wear a coat until it's 75 degrees.

Of course, you could just sign some Texas open carry petitions to be like Ohio where if you want to strap on a tactical thigh holster for your hand cannon, there's very little stopping you ;p