The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 28, 2008, 01:31 PM   #1
jclayto

Granite Security Safe - Sams Club?

Does anyone have experience with the Granite Security 24 gun safe sold at sams club? It seems this safe replaced the winchester safe (also made by granite) that has been sold at sams for a while. I am just looking for your opinions.

It has a 1200 degree/50 min fire rating with digital lock. I think I will pick one up this afternoon, but wanted to see if anyone has any hands on experience?

Granite seems to be one of the only american made safes I can find in this price range.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=373882
Old April 28, 2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Barber2678

Check here www.zykansafe.com for a safe first.
Old April 28, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
jclayto

Zykan makes some great safes no doubt, and I have seen the gentleman from there give great advice on safes to many members including myself. It's just a little out of my price range, especially when i tack on a couple hundred bucks to have it shipped. I wish i lived close enough to purchase from them.

Thanks for the input though!
Old April 28, 2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Dmanbass

How much was that Granite one if you dont mind my asking? I couldn't get the website to price it.
Old April 28, 2008, 02:36 PM   #5
jclayto

$799

Seems like a fair price and a nicely made safe. I've got an email in to granite asking for clarification on the lifetime warranty in reference to the digital lock. It seems some people say that it doesn't cover the lock, some people report that it does (and has) covered problems with their lock.
Old April 28, 2008, 02:38 PM   #6
jclayto

I guess i should clarify.. nicely made residential security container. I know that any of the "Safes" in this price range could easily be broken by a determined thief with a little experience. I just hope to deter them long enough for the cops to show up since they will have tripped the alarm by being in there in the first place.
Old April 29, 2008, 07:46 AM   #7
hihosilver

Granite Safe are the one that make the Winchester Safes. I recommend it. The best safe for the money. They also make the redhead safes you see at sporting goods stores. I cant remember the name of the digital lock, but it is one of the recommended brands from the one of the websites I researched this. look on the granite website.
Old April 29, 2008, 01:26 PM   #8
a1abdj

Quote:
Granite seems to be one of the only american made safes I can find in this price range.
To my knowledge, it is the only American made safe it its price range..

Keep in mind that steel prices keep going up, as well as the transportation charges to move these things. I don't think you're going to see much more of the sub $1,000 safes unless the steel and gas markets go down. If you're in the market, I'd buy it now while it's still available.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
jclayto

a1, thanks for the input. I purchased/installed the safe tuesday night. Everything seems to be great.

One question though, on a digital safe. What would happen if a thief cut the wire going from the keypad into the safe. Would this cause it to pop open? Is there some way of shorting the wire to crack the safe? Also is there some master combination that the companies have for digital locks that an experienced thief may have access to? I am not incredibly worried about burglary but those are the questions that keep me up at night j/k
Old May 1, 2008, 10:34 AM   #10
a1abdj

Quote:
What would happen if a thief cut the wire going from the keypad into the safe. Would this cause it to pop open? Is there some way of shorting the wire to crack the safe?
Cutting the wire won't do anything as far as opening the safe. The "brains" of the lock are inside the lock case inside the door. The keypad is merely an input device. In comparison, it would be like accessing the hard drive of your computer through your keyboard wiring.

Depending on how bad the wiring is butchered, the safe may have to be drilled to open it. If it isn't that bad, you can splice in a temporary keypad to open the lock.

Quote:
Also is there some master combination that the companies have for digital locks that an experienced thief may have access to? I am not incredibly worried about burglary but those are the questions that keep me up at night
In some cases, some manufacturers have information that would assist a burglar. However, it is not information that is easily obtained. Your common theif would have no access to what the manufacturer knows (or doesn't know in some cases).
Old May 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #11
raylove

granite gun safe from sams

I bought a granite gun safe from Sam's a while ago and everything was ok until recently. Now I have to do the combination numerous times before I can get it to open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 29, 2012, 06:43 PM   #12
rebs

Quote:
I bought a granite gun safe from Sam's a while ago and everything was ok until recently. Now I have to do the combination numerous times before I can get it to open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
If its an electronic lock, try a new battery or try changing the combination
Old May 30, 2012, 06:23 AM   #13
j357

+1 on changing the batteries. Do it every 6 months. That reminds me.....