The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 17, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1
SPUSCG

turkey call

what actually works well that doesn't cost much
Old April 17, 2008, 04:02 PM   #2
rusty2008

''Redhead Deluxe Custom Tune Call Box'' $24.00-$29.00 at Bass Pro Shop has a box call that called in 3 gobblers this passed staurday morning at 7:15 from a half mile away in Gonzales Texas, buy 7:30 all three were on the ground. Saturday evening we called in a gobbler to with in 62.5 yard sitting in a white f150 . Same gobbler twice in one evening to different location about 1/4 mile apart.Set up on him sunday morning and within 30 minutes he was on the ground . 10'' beard 1.25'' spurs. First time turkey hunt in 10 years and only third time in my life.So we are NOT expert callers so I would say the call had something to do with it . We also had decoys but they only work when the gobbler gets close.And the big gobbler never even saw the decoys.He circled around and came from the back side. I had a 10 yard shot.

Last edited by rusty2008; April 17, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old April 17, 2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Bass Pro sells a "Team RTX" box call that I called two hens in with last weekend. Couldn't get a gobbler in with, but it slays the hens.... Anyway - it is a great sounding call and not too expensive. Purplewood side and butternut side. I'll let you know if I get a gobbler with it this weekend.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
Old April 18, 2008, 02:39 AM   #4
bclark1

I've tried a bunch, but I usually go with slate-style calls. I have one that's a plastic that you abrase with sandpaper, and another that is actual slate. I've got several strikers of different materials. Nothing special, whatever was on sale at Cabela's, but I've had good luck with them. I can do more with them than I can a button or box, but they're much easier to use than diaphragms.
Old April 18, 2008, 09:22 AM   #5
10-96

Believe it or not, I've had pretty good luck with U.S. Gov't Skillcraft pens. Seriously, ya'll quit gigglin. You kinda half pucker/kiss/suck through the little metal part on the bottom end- cup your hand over the open end and open and close it a bit to alter pitch. Maybe we have brain damaged turkeys and coyotes around here- but it's brought them both in for me. I even used it to flush out a gate guard when I stopped in at Camp Robinson when I went over to Arkansas some 6 years ago or so.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 18, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6
UniversalFrost

I bought a box call at wally world years ago (the kind that could be mounted under your barrel on your gun) and that is all I have ever used along with a hen decoy.

Most of the turkeys I have shot though came in when i was messing around with a squirrel call (the I wanna fight type of clucking) and were looking in the trees to see where the squirrel fight was at. closest shot I had with the squirrel call being used was a nice tom came up from behind my tree I was leaning against, walked aroundthe tree and looked me in the eye at about a foot then walked right infront of my barrel. pulled the trigger one handed with the gun resting on my lap and got him in the head (was completely blown away) at about 6 inches from the muzzle and the whole time he was still looking for the squirrel that was making the "I wanna fight" noises.

Turkeys are very inquisitive birds and like to see what is going on in their area. I have also heard of folks out yote hunting and the turkeys come in to inspect a dying rabbit call and the rabbit fur moving decoy (personally have not experienced this, but have heard about it from reputable hunters).

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 20, 2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Loaded4yote

Same here. Bought a el cheapo push button box call and went to town. Mine's the Knight & Hale Ultimate Push & Pull Model 150. Think I got it on clearance for $8.
Old April 21, 2008, 11:55 AM   #8
TheNatureBoy

I've used a number of calls to include box, slate, double glass, electronic, etc. I started making wingbone calls about three years ago and have had some good success with them as well.
Old April 21, 2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Scorch

Actually, the best turkey call is to dress up in black BDUs and start yelling "Tactical! Tactical, Tactical!", and the turkeys will show up in droves. Man, you'll have to get a stick to keep them at arm's length. If you make them take a number and line up by the cash register, you can take as many as 100 before one of them says "Uuuuuh, hey! It's just flat black! Is that tactical?"
Old April 21, 2008, 10:17 PM   #10
TCman

I like using a diaphram. I practice with mine often, but am no expert. I lik them because they are hands free. It took two days to make a sound with my first one. Now I have around 10 of thme. My fav ones are the redhead red raspy three reeds. I just cant purr with them My fav friction call is an old lohman thunder dome, but i also carry an aluminum friction in case of rain. i carry an acrylic box call for wet or windy days. Its a primos.

Last edited by TCman; April 22, 2008 at 09:33 PM.