The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2008, 08:20 AM   #1
sureshots

Are Rifles Legal for Turkey?

Are rifles legal for wild turkey where you hunt? Why or why not? Do you think they should be? If so what caliber would you use?
Old April 7, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2
bclark1

Quote:
Only shotguns using shot, crossbows, and longbows are permitted.
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/...ng_turkey.aspx

I do not think they are appropriate. Zero error margin. I've smashed a turkey with #5 well inside 40 yards and still had it not expire immediately. They're tough birds - "use enough gun."
Old April 7, 2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In Texas, rifles or shotguns are legal. I don't think .22 rimfire is legal, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Dunno about nowadays, but generally, turkeys are shot sorta incidental in deer season. Either take a head shot, or if broadside, some guys shoot into the body behind the legs. Kill and field dress at the same time. The turkey season in the spring of the year is a different deal, and most folks use shotguns.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Doyle

Legal in Florida. A .22 is not sufficient for turkey. A deer rifle is too much (wastes lots of meat). The ideal rifle is one that will put a relatively small bullet all the way through the bird before it tries to mushroom. .22 Hornet, .222, .223, etc all do quite well. My hunting partner shot one 2 weekends ago with his .243 WSSM. One shot through the base of the neck at about 120 yds almost decapitated him. Not one bit of wasted meat.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:15 AM   #5
W. C. Quantrill

It all depends upon the laws of your state.

We own the land we hunt on. We manage the deer herds and the turkey flocks. We hunt as we please. Your milage may vary.

We usually hunt traditional muzzleloader for deer, and we test our skills by seeing who can take the first weekends Sunday turkey dinner with patched round ball.

Because of habitat management, and herd and flock management, our wildlife numbers are approximately double what they were ten years ago. Gubmint employees are not permitted on the property.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Clayfish

Not in Georgia.
Old April 7, 2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Sportdog

Michigan

Shotguns or Bow & Arrow.....Restricted to shot size no larger than #4......I believe that our regulations were meant to make turkey hunting safe and challenging. Should they allow rifles? I don't know but more than once I wished I had a 22 Magnum in my hands instead of a 12 Gauge w/#4's!
Old April 7, 2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Mavrik

Missouri is also Bow&Arrow, Shotgun with shot no larger than #4. This applies to both the spring and fall turkey seasons.

What is somewhat annoying is that while the Fall Firearms Turkey season (October) runs concurrently with Fall Archery Deer/Turkey season (Sept-Jan), one can't be in posession of both a bow and shotgun at the same time. I've missed a couple of good shots at Deer during the archery season because I chose to bring my shotgun instead of my Bow.

Mav
Old April 7, 2008, 07:56 PM   #9
DaveInPA

Quote:
Missouri is also Bow&Arrow, Shotgun with shot no larger than #4. This applies to both the spring and fall turkey seasons.

What is somewhat annoying is that while the Fall Firearms Turkey season (October) runs concurrently with Fall Archery Deer/Turkey season (Sept-Jan), one can't be in posession of both a bow and shotgun at the same time. I've missed a couple of good shots at Deer during the archery season because I chose to bring my shotgun instead of my Bow.

Mav
Can you be in possession of two shotguns? One with shot and one with slugs? That would take care of it!
Old April 8, 2008, 08:42 AM   #10
Mavrik

Quote:
Can you be in possession of two shotguns? One with shot and one with slugs? That would take care of it!
No for 2 reasons. The provision of the Shot no larget than #4 also makes carrying slugs a violation. It also doesn't work out because of how the seasons are scheduled which I didn't get into the specifics above.

I know this is getting a bit off topic but to answer Dave's question it works out like this. (I may have a few of the dates off but it's the same basic setup yearly)

Archery Deer/Turkey season runs specifically Sept 15-Nov 15, Nov 25-Jan-15
(The 10 day break is for Fall Firearms Deer season)
(If hunting Archery one cannot be in posession of a firearm)

Fall Firearms Turkey season runs the entire month of October

Fall Firearms Deer (Main season) runs Nov 15-Nov 25
(there are several special seasons that run between Nov 25-Dec 30,
black powder, Anterless only for select counties etc)

So to be legal if I want to take my shotgun out for Turkey in October I'm likely to miss an opportunity at a deer or two like that 8 pointer I had at 20 yrds out 2 years ago. I could just bring my bow but I feel like I have a better chance to take a turkey with the shotgun.

To get back on topic, while rifle's aren't legal here it would be nice if they were. I've had several opportunities where the Turkey stopped and/or saw me when they were just outside of Shotgun range. It's rather annoying to have a dozen or so at 55yrds out that just refuse to come any closer to get in range of my Shotgun. As for what I'd use given the choice, I'd probably grab my 30-30

Mav
Old April 9, 2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Yellowfin

I for one would not do it anyway because I don't like shooting centerfire rifles on level ground because of safety reasons, and also where I am most accustomed to hunting it is not legal.
Old April 9, 2008, 06:44 PM   #12
rem870hunter

shotguns with no larger than #4 but no smaller than #7.5 fine shot and bow and arrow is legal in NJ. i think rifle is legal in VA. it was the last time i hunted there.
Old April 9, 2008, 06:49 PM   #13
SilentHitz

They're legal here, but I only use one on the private land we used to hunt...knowing where everyone was. A CCI Stinger will rip a turkey's head off, and you don't have to bite down on shot when you eat it. I perfer my Bushmaster .223 because the soy bean fields are too long of a shot for a .22 rimfire.
Old April 9, 2008, 08:42 PM   #14
flyboy14

Legal in south dakota. Normally use 223, or 22-250, this year took two with
7mm rem while elk hunting. If you know what is beyond your target, I don't see a problem with it. I either take head shots, or aim right at the base of the neck when broadside, stay out of the breastmeat, and watch the feathers fly!
Old April 13, 2008, 10:08 AM   #15
SPUSCG

how much damage would a shot in the body from a 30-30 do to edible meat?
Old April 13, 2008, 10:47 AM   #16
dalegribble

I believe in AZ a 22mag is ok for turkey and I think it is ok to use a 17mag as well. I often wonder why more people don't use a rifle instead of a shotgun, extended range and no shot to choke on. If my 17mag can put 5 shots inside a dime at 100 yds I'm sure it would do well on a turkey at 50 yds.
Old April 13, 2008, 01:05 PM   #17
roy reali

Depends

Depends on how smart the turkey is. Around here they are not smart enough to operate a rifle.
Old April 13, 2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
how much damage would a shot in the body from a 30-30 do to edible meat?
I can answer that. I shot my first jake while sitting in a deer stand. I can tell you from experience that this is not something you want to do. I got one good breast from it. The rest was a bloody pulp.
Old April 13, 2008, 06:42 PM   #19
Loaded4yote

Not legal in Arkansas for the spring hunt.
Old April 14, 2008, 01:04 PM   #20
Ralph Allen

In Wyoming, 22mag or larger, or any shotgun.
Ralph
Old April 29, 2008, 12:24 PM   #21
bushidomosquito

Went on my first turkey hunt this weekend. Thought it was pretty easy when I brought one straight down off a hill with one call and right between my decoys at 20 yards. He dropped his head just as I pulled the trigger and did a great hummingbird like V-TOL after he felt that tight pattern sail overhead. I really wanted my 10-22 after I realized I could have put one in his eye at that range. No turkey but I did get to put a funny acting skunk down with my Glock.

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old April 29, 2008, 12:48 PM   #22
rantingredneck

NC is shotguns or archery only for turkeys.
Old April 29, 2008, 04:46 PM   #23
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Mav,

Buy you and Mossberg 835 and HS Undertaker .695 choke tube and shoot Win Supreme 2 and 1/4oz #4 turkey loads through it, and those birds at 55yds will no longer be safe.
Old April 29, 2008, 06:49 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

No rifles in Kentucky.
Old April 30, 2008, 06:26 AM   #25
Jack O'Conner

I prefer to shoot my yearly turkey out of a tree just before dark. They flock in a big dead tree in the forest behind some buildings at edge of town. I use my standard prairie dog ammo and it works just fine. Aim point is just below point where neck protrudes from body. The bullet hits like a freight train every time.

52 grain Sierra fired from .223 Savage.

Shotgun and lots of specialty gear is not for me. But each to his own I say.

Good hunting to you.

Jack