The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2008, 05:35 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Savage 220A shotgun, Info on optional rifle barrel.

I own a savage model 220a 20 ga. single shot shotgun that has been in my family for 4 generations and I am looking for a rifle barrel to let my 10 year old daughter be the 5th generation to hunt deer with it. I have looked at all the used gun people and cant find one anywhere. If anyone can help me locate a rifle barrel for my daughter to hunt deer with I would be the happiest dad in the woods this year. This gun was originally a 2 barrel set, 1- 20ga. 1- 30-30win. and somewhere along the line the rifle barrel went missing. (I think stolen but cant prove it) If anyone can help me with a rifle barrel please e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks.

ps- Price is not a major concern as long as its in good shape.
Old March 16, 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Hawg

Numrich www.e-gunparts.com lists five rifle barrels for it. .22 Hornet, 25-20, 30-30, 32-20 and 9mm rimfire but they're limited quantity which means they may or may not have one in stock.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3
mikenbarb

Savage 220a rifle barrel availibility.

Hawg, I have been checking Numrich for 3 months and no luck with an in stock rifle barrel. I was hoping that someone here would have one sitting around collecting dust that wanted to part with it. It makes me so mad that this gun had 2 barrels for it and only 1 now. and of course noone knows what happened to the rifle barrel. I love this gun and has alot of sentimental value and stories from 4 generations behind it that makes it priceless. And I was overwhelmed with joy when my daughter said she wanted to hunt, So I can now pass the gun and stories down the line. I started a journal of the hunting stories known to me from family that used this gun to feed their family when shells were rationed for food and 2 shells meant 2 dinners. and have written a few entries of mine also, and someday one of my grandchildren will hopefully do the same. If you know any other sources for a rifle barrel for this please let me know. I also saw somewhere that a .410 barrel would shoot a .45LC, Do you know if this is correct ???
Old March 17, 2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Hawg

It will but not well.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:10 PM   #5
mikenbarb

Safe or not?

Is the 45LC safe to shoot from a shotgun barrel in good shape or is it borderline with chamber pressures? If safe, What would be the best bullet, lead or a copper jacketed slug? Im just trying to get something to start with.
Old March 18, 2008, 01:54 AM   #6
Hawg

A shotgun barrel doesn't have the pressure of a rifle barrel because the bullet isn't being forced into rifling. It's safe to do but the results are very disappointing.
Old March 18, 2008, 05:32 AM   #7
quiettype1

Expand your internet searches to include the Savage 219(rifle version of 220). After about a year I found a 30-30 barrel for 130 shipped. Good luck!
Old March 18, 2008, 09:58 PM   #8
mikenbarb

I have expanded my search to every 2** series made by savage with no results. Im gonna give the 45LC a try in my other savage with a 410 barrel and see what happens. Wanna part with that 30-30 barrel you found? I wish someone would take on the task of manufacturing obsolete barrels. It seems there is a high demand for a few models from what I have seen looking for a 220a barrel. or even blanks that all you have to do is sweat the hardware on them. Does anyone know of a company based out of Florida that bought out Savage's old patents and parts? I heard something about it but cant locate which company it is.
Old March 20, 2008, 02:36 AM   #9
Hawg

Try Bobs Gun Shop. http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/ I didn't see it listed but they bought all of the leftover factory parts. Might give them a call.
Old March 20, 2008, 07:54 AM   #10
mikenbarb

Hawg, Thank you very much.