The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 28, 2008, 04:51 AM   #1
MTMilitiaman

What makes it so difficult to suppress a .45?

I have no experience with suppressed weapons, but from what I have gathered, the .45 is relatively difficult to suppress compared to other handgun cartridges. This makes little sense to me, as most rounds are already subsonic, and the cartridge operates at relatively low pressure.
Old January 28, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2
oldcspsarge

Bad 411

45acp is NOT difficult to suppress !

Its a matter of what type of pistol, replacing the barrel with a threaded barrel and setting it up to run.

OR Buy ak HK USP Tactical. but a supressor and screw it on !

Someone was just giving you bad info.

Glocks and HK are simple, 1911's a little tricker due to barrel lock up system
and having slide recipricate properly.

FYI
Old January 28, 2008, 04:44 PM   #3
aroundlsu

They are louder than a similarly suppressed 9mm simply because the hole is bigger which means more gas coming out the end. A .22 moves fast but is very quiet because it's a very small hole.

I'm speaking from experience. I own a USP CT .45 and a suppressor.
Old January 29, 2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Ledbetter

unless you stop the slide from reciprocating, a large amount of gas and noise can escpe from the breech.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old January 29, 2008, 07:34 PM   #5
schmellba99

The .45ACP round itself is one of the easier rounds to supress, typically because it is very difficult to have an operating platform that can safely launch a projectile at supersonic speeds.

Where most of the difficulty comes from is the individual pistols themselves. Some are designed with supression in mind (HK, Sig, etc.), others require semi-extensive modifications (1911 comes to mind quickly, but it its not the only one by any means). Depending on your platform and type of supressor, you may need additional modifications to have a functioning semi-auto weapon.

The only other factor is the volume or design of your baffles. The pressures are moderate if you have the right volume. If you have a small volume, you need a baffle design that can withstand the higher pressures developed as a result of the lack of expansion volume.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php

This site will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about silencers, the fabrication thereof, and the field testing of every brand pretty much ever made. It's an interesting site to visit and learn from, just make sure you have thick skin because some of the folks over there can be rather snobbish when it comes to supression.
Old March 11, 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
douglasschuckert

The .45 IS VERY Difficult to Suppress

Everyone. I own several suppressors, and I own a .45ACP Can. The .45ACP round cannot be adequately suppressed. Matter of fact there is NOT ONE hearing safe suppressor on the modern day market today. Every .45 can out there to be shot from a pistol to be hearing safe has to be fired wet... I.E. A small amount of artificial environment introduced into the rear of the suppressor.

The reason why?

The .45 is a HUGE round. The hole in the end of the can is several thousands of an inch larger than the bullets OD (outside diameter). For suppressors to be effective the gases have to be contained in the can. The hole in the front of the .45 can is too large to facilitate effective gas retainment. Therefore the sound cannot be adequately controlled. REGARDLESS OF HOW INHERENTLY SUBSONIC THE ROUND MAY BE.

Contrary to oldcspsarge's post, the Glock & USP Tactical or the MK23 firearms as well as the 1911 series all have the same sound signature to them. Your ears will ring from the report of the .45 round. Actually .45 and 9mm shot dry sound a LOT alike. When you shoot a .45 CAN wet it is enjoyable, but you can only get 10 or 15 shots (depending on suppressor model) before the sound becomes almost intolerable. He is correct that there is more breach blast from the 1911 platform (typically) than what you have with the 'cam' designed barrel lock up (the Glock & H&K series), but all platforms, shooting the .45 dry and without ears is unpleasant to say the least. ANYONE who states otherwise does NOT own, or has not shot a .45 suppressed before.

I have a submachine gun chambered in .45 ACP. When I shoot single shot its loud enough to make my ears ring. When its full auto you can hear the sound diminish as the gas builds up inside the can. Granted it doesn't drop by much, but the sound change is noticeable. GRANTED my MAC 10 is an open bolt gun and the sound of the bolt falling is quite loud in and of itself, but it wont cause your ears to ring. The suppressed MAC 10/45 SMG will (slightly).
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 11, 2008, 11:19 PM   #7
MGRacer

All the pistol 45 cans that I have heard are too loud (ringing) if shot dry, but are pleasant when shot wet. It is possible to have a can that will adequately suppress the 45 round dry, but it is big. My suppressed 45 Camp Carbine from SRT Arms is very quiet -- always shot dry. That size of can on a pistol would be unreasonable but is very nice on a rifle.

Old March 12, 2008, 04:47 AM   #8
evan1293

Deleted
Old March 12, 2008, 09:17 AM   #9
SilentHitz

link didn't work nm search youtube for suppressed 45 mpegs, you'll see how quiet they really are.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2bdKP01aEM

Last edited by SilentHitz; March 12, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old March 12, 2008, 09:58 AM   #10
SilentHitz

Another mpeg...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd8e0J6mdJU
Old April 21, 2008, 07:12 AM   #11
douglasschuckert

bump.. for $&G's

If you're using Youtube for a reference, then also search for non-suppressed gun shots and tell me if they "sound loud".....

Unless you've shot a .45 can... wow..just wow. Im not going to argue with you, its pointless unless you either 1 own a .45 can (I do) or have ever shot one.. Until then.. never mind....

I know this thread is rather old, but for something to end, it needs to end on the right information... That and Im just bored as ahh hell...

Send me an email and next time im back home (in September/October) we'll get together at my home in Alabama (Tuscaloosa) (I see you're in MS) and do some fun shooting. I've got a .45 sub gun and I have an SWR Hems II .45 can on transfer among others... You'll get to have quite the good 'ol time.. Hell the more shooters the merrier! :-) I’ll have another of my friends from MS come out with and he’ll more than likely bring his subguns with him… He’s got several REALLY REALLY cool toys!

Doug
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!