The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
ducktapefetish

An inexpensive shotgun for shooting skeet?

I have a mossberg 500 for home defense and I love it but lol not the most practical shootgun to shoot skeet with although I have many times lol. Now that i am joining a local gun club where I will be able to shoot skeet more often I am thinking of investing in an affordable shotgun that will be more practical for shooting skeet and possibly taking it hunting. Looking for alittle insight on what i should be looking for. I dont need a fancy gun just one that will be durable, reliable, and affordable since I am still finishing my paramedic degree I dont have a ton of $. thanks guys.
Old January 21, 2008, 11:52 PM   #2
bobn

the most affordable is going to be a used 26inch barreled 1100 rem with improved cylinder choke. the most sucessful gun on the skeet fields is a browning citori. stay away from cheaper stack barrel guns as they break firing pins etc from steady shooting versus hunting. bobn
Old January 22, 2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Rigby1962

I know you said nothing fancy but if you do want to look for something with a little panache. The older Beretta autos 390,303,302. Can be had for less then 400. Bought my wife a beautiful 303 20ga w/ two barrels a few years ago for under 400. Never a hick up.
Old January 22, 2008, 06:07 AM   #4
gordo_gun_guy

not a snob

I have your same HD shotgun, though I often wished I'd opted for an 870 instead. I'm committed now, though, too many Mossy accessories already.

I get laughed at on the skeet fields for my SxS, a $250 Brazilian-made import. The laughter isn't about the price or the quality: nice walnut, decent bluing, uses Invector removable chokes, over 1K rounds with 0 malfunctions. It's about the SxS thing--serious skeet shooters don't like looking over a double.

I have a hankering for a Bennelli; more for trap than for skeet. They're pricey, but less so than a Beretta and perhaps more reliable--and definitely easier to clean than a gas gun.

Good luck; I hope your friends on the skeet field are just purists, not snobs!
Old January 22, 2008, 01:59 PM   #5
EHCRain10

have you thought about a new barrel for your mossberg?
it would be the cheapest way to have a gun better suited for skeet.
Old January 22, 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
YukonKid

remington sparten...its a cheap O/U. Bad finnish and wood, but it does shoot. If not find a old guy who is selling a citori for cheap
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 22, 2008, 03:10 PM   #7
classic095

0/U

Look for a stoeger Condor, 0/U in 20 gauge , I used one for over a year, and sold it to one of my 4-H students, Never misses a beat..They have it in 410, 20, and 12.. But of Course REAL men use a .410 to shoot skeet..
Old January 23, 2008, 10:29 AM   #8
IrvJr

ducktapefetish,

I'd go with a used Remington 1100 for skeet. Reliable and comfortable to shoot (because of the semi-auto gas action). You can get them pretty cheap used.

Or, as someone else already mentioned, perhaps you can get a new barrel for your existing shotgun and use that for skeet. I've seen some folks shoot skeet with pump guns and they did fine, even for doubles. One kid (I think he was like 14) shot a 25 with a Winchester 1300 12 ga pump action. he was a really good shot. One of the guys at the club let the kid shoot a Beretta 20ga O/U and he did really well with that too.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:51 PM   #9
ducktapefetish

Thanks guys. Now I got some types I can keep an eye out for.
I had thought of getting another barrell for my mossberg but I want to leave that just for HD and I want to have a semi or double barrell so i have a quicker fallow up shot. Also want a shot gun just for skeet/hunting with wood stock.
Gordo who makes that sxs you have? I know what your saying about the 870 but i like that the mossberg holds 8 rounds. I put the knox stock to make it alot more comfrontable handling and a 6 round side saddle on it so it more than fits the role of a good hd gun. I think the stoeger Condor or Remington 1100 would both be good choices I will start looking for a nice used one.
Any info on the stoeger I havnt every shot one of those?
Old January 24, 2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Smitty in CT

Mossberg 930 in walnut....

You're already familiar with the top mounted safety, they balance very well, they're extremely reliable, and the best part..... they're affordable.

Bud's Gun Shop has walnut versions of the 930 for $428, delivered to your local FFL:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/14634

You're not going to be able to touch an 1100 for anywhere close to that with wood furniture... unless you buy used....then you never know what your getting. I don't know about you, but I don't sell any of my guns that are working good....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 24, 2008, 10:29 AM   #11
JWT

Another vote for a Remington 1100. Gives versatility with chokes to shoot other sports, very reliable, minimal recoil, and afordable.
Old January 24, 2008, 11:16 AM   #12
classic095

inexpensive:

The guy wants an inexpensive gun.. Remington 1100s arent that cheap unless you go to the bottom of the ladder and get the synthetic, I own 6 remington 1100s all in Tournament grade, skeet and trap, they are not cheap
Old January 24, 2008, 01:01 PM   #13
BigJimP

Cheap is relative - but stay away from any O/U under $2,000 - it's generally going to be a waste of money or a real short term gun.

Inexpensive, look at some used semi-autos Beretta, Remington, Benelli etc - or just stay with a good pump gun ( 870, BPS, etc ) there are lots of good used guns out there too - even new they're under $ 1500. My personal preference is the Benelli super sport in a 30" barrel.

For skeet I prefer an O/U with a 30" barrel (but 28" is ok as well ). A pump or semi-auto with a 28" or 30" barrel works well. One of the "B" guns Beretta or Browning are your best buy either new or used. Browning XS Skeet is my personal preference, 30" barrel and an adjustable comb.

The most important thing in a shotgun is fit - so it hits where you look. Shotguns do not come in one size fits all. You have to have a gun that fits you - drop at heel, drop at comb (or a paralell comb), length of pull, etc all that is far more critical than picking the action type, mfg of gun, etc.
Old January 24, 2008, 04:18 PM   #14
gordo_gun_guy

Quote:
Gordo who makes that sxs you have?
www.stoegerindustries.com

Had a memory lapse when I posted, or I would have mentioned it: she's a Stoeger Uplander Supreme, but the version from about 4 years ago, which is different (and cheaper) than the one they import now. I had a pawn broker/gun shop order one for me in Mississippi. The owner hadn't heard of them, and he got me my supreme for what was a ridiculously low price even then of $275. He then proceeded to stock about a dozen of the basic model--for a retail of $350-375. I feel a little guilty about my deal, considering it was basically a reward for steering him to a product with which he could gouge others.

Not a great gun; I wish I could have afforded the Ruger Gold Label which was new at the time. But it works as my "everything else other than HD" shotgun.

I do have a hankering for a fine auto, and if I ever have more time for the clay sports I may indulge it!
Old January 25, 2008, 04:18 PM   #15
JWT

He's looking for an affordable gun and compared to many trap guns the 1100 is definitely affordable, especially if you look for a good used one. There's a big difference between affordable, inexpensive, and cheap. The 1100 is affordable, not terribly inexpensive, and definitely not cheap. To me, cheap infers quality that is not good.
Old January 25, 2008, 04:22 PM   #16
hoytinak

Another vote for the 1100.
Old January 26, 2008, 09:45 AM   #17
castnblast

Take a look at a Stoeger Auto, or side by side. Benelli owns this company, and they are inertia driven. They are very reasonable, and from what I here are very well made. You can get all the choke tubes, and and get them in wood, or synthetic. The inertia gun will kick a bit more than a gas, but not anymore than a pump, and they won't get gummed up like a gas operated. I think you'll be pleased.
Old January 28, 2008, 06:58 AM   #18
gordo_gun_guy

+1

After looking for that Stoeger link for my SxS, I browsed their autos. I might pick one up as a cheaper alternative to a genuine Benneli. The 1100 isn't a bad choice either; anything remotely designed as a clay gun is going to be much more fun than the Mossy pump.

Not knocking the Mossy either--when my club did a three-gun match in which the shotgun stage started with gun unloaded, ammo buried in a sandbox, all the guys with autos whined and cried, but I didn't even shake the sand off before loading up my 500.