The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 12, 2008, 06:14 PM   #1
wayneinFL

NRA pistol instructor's course

From someone who has taken the course or given the course recently what exactly does the instructor's course entail? And how many rounds do you usually need?
Old January 12, 2008, 08:00 PM   #2
SouthpawShootr

I took the instructor's course a few years back. Course covered material presentation techniques, required content for the NRA pistol classes, mock presentations, overview of shooting techniques, what you can and cannot do and no range time. You're learning how to teach the course, the way the NRA wants it taught. This isn't a master class in shooting. You get the instructor's manual with the required course content as well as the book the NRA uses for the course (this book isn't always included, it's extra and my instructor thought we should own it).
Old January 13, 2008, 01:08 PM   #3
KC135

If you had no range time, the Training Counselor did not conduct the course completely.

Who am I?? An old Training Counselor.
Old January 13, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
evan1293

Quote:
If you had no range time, the Training Counselor did not conduct the course completely.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. We did all of the above mentioned + spent about 2 hours on the range doing mock-live fire instructions.
Old January 14, 2008, 11:53 PM   #5
wayneinFL

We had an instructor's course at our local range a few years ago. I signed up but there wasn't room. The training counselor said that part of being an instructor is that "you have to know how to shoot." From the way he said it and the context in which he said it, it sounded as if there was some shooting involved.

On the contrary, when I signed up to take this course from another training counselor, in another city, I asked, "what I should bring?", and they told me not to bring anything.

So I'm thinking- is there some shooting that should be done that I will be missing? Is the price of ammo included in the price of the course? Or am I expected to buy ammo at their range?
Old January 17, 2008, 12:04 AM   #6
Dewhitewolf

NRA instructor training consists first of the Basic Instructor Training course (BIT). After this, you then sign up for the disciplines you want to instruct (pistol, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloading, etc).

To take the NRA Pistol Instructor course, you either have to complete NRA Basic Pistol as a student, or demonstrate that you can safely handle a pistol (same for the other disciplines). You will be required to show different action types (semi-auto, revolver, etc.), proper loading and unloading, and that you always keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction.

The live fire session will be a demonstration of your ability to follow the rules of safety and proper handling, as well as your ability to teach them to someone else. As southpaw said, it is NOT a master marksmanship course.

For specific questions about a particular course, contact the training counselor who will be teaching it(we were required to bring notebooks, a binder, and a "training aid"). I have not heard of any instructor course that required the student to provide a firearm and/or ammunition, but it was optional.
Old January 17, 2008, 12:48 PM   #7
TINCUP AL

When I took the NRA instructor course, I had to bring a handgun and 50 rounds of ammo. This is not a "how to shoot" class, but a gun handling exercise to make sure you understand safe gun handling practices that you will be teaching. The shooting portion of the class only took about an hour or so, and the rest wes all classroom training. It is mostly a class on "how" to teach. We did a lot of presentaions and demonstrations.