The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 30, 2007, 05:56 PM   #1
bert0168

Odd Browning A-5

I have a Browning A-5 that I can't ID even with the blue book of gun values.
It's a full choke 20ga with ser # C13XXX matching on both receiver and barrel. Other marks on the barrel: a BP in an oval, a cross in a circle, letters ESS, what looks like a round head rivet. Barrel also marked "Browning Arms Company St Louis and part of an "M".

The other oddity is that the top of the receiver is "parkerized", something I've not seen before.

My research tells me only that it may have been made by Remington due to the "C" but the serial #'s dont jive with what I've found.

Anything anyone can tell me on this gun is appreciated

Last edited by bert0168; December 30, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old December 30, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That serial number with the C prefix is within the range made by Remington just before and just after U.S. involvement in WWII (C5000-C16152) when the Belgian factory was German-occupied and later almost destoyed. I am not sure I see what the problem is. The St. Louis address was being used by Browning at that time.

I am pretty sure the top of the receiver was sandblasted before bluing, not Parkerized, to reduce glare. I don't know if it came from the factory that way or it was done later.

Jim
Old January 1, 2008, 10:08 PM   #3
bert0168

I guess I was not putting all the info together. I was finding different ser # ranges for the Remington made guns. I kind of suspected it was an American made browning. Thanks for the reply.
Old January 2, 2008, 08:05 PM   #4
TEDDY

a5

could that be a remington with a browning barrel?? savage made a5 type as did remington.
Old January 4, 2008, 11:26 PM   #5
tbotts

Where is the serial number located on the gun? If it is on the left side of the receiver, it is a Remington made Browning. Belgian Brownings will have the serial # on the bottom of the receiver.