The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 19, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1
Smokey Joe

Yum...

Prologue: This past deer season, 2 of my buds got deer, which I field-dressed for them. (Yeah, we should all gut our own. One bud is handicapped, the other makes killer chocolate chip cookies. I field-dress deer very neatly.) Neither bud is a liver-lover. Heart neither. So I received the ombles.

Yesterday, 1/3 of a liver looked up at me from the freezer, so I brought it upstairs & thawed it.

This evening, Mrs. Smokey Joe (bless her) sliced liver (to the cats' applause--they got all the little pieces, and all the juice) then fried up bacon while I skinned & sliced onions and nuked a potato. The onion rings went in the pan next. Then she gently fried the liver slices.

She & I sat down and had fried liver & bacon & onions, with a side of baked potato. VERY satisfactory!

Yum. Burp. Here's to you, all you liver lovers out there!

--Smokey Joe
Old December 19, 2007, 11:07 PM   #2
taylorce1

Sounds good SJ. I like good liver and onions myself. Don't mind the heart either. My Grandmother used to boil the heart and slice it real thin, then pickle it in vinegar and some other spices. It made a really good snack over some crackers with some cheese. Sure do miss some of the things Grandma used to cook, most people wouldn't eat it now, but she survived the depression and very little of any animal wasn't used.
Old December 20, 2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Buzzcook

Two good food threads in a row.

Unfortunately my wife don't like innards.
I like the heck out of them in just about every form except chitlins.
try some sliced fennel in with the onions on that liver.

Heart is great in stew.

If you soak liver or kidney in milk for about 1/2 an hour it makes the taste milder.
Old December 20, 2007, 07:23 AM   #4
fisherman66

For the first time I saved the liver this year. Any prep tips? I took off the surface membrane before freezing it.
Old December 20, 2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

Cooking tip...

Fisherman 66--
Quote:
Any prep tips?
Yes. Most people who don't like liver have had it fried to death. Then it becomes like shoe leather, and I too would hate eating it. You want to fry it ONLY until the pink disappears from the middle of the piece, not one second more.

To determine disappearance of the pink, cut the liver slice as it fries and examine. For each check you need a new cut. Don't have to chop the slices to pieces; we're just examining the internal doneness here.

When the liver slice is done and no more, hoist it onto a warm plate. All the slices of similar thickness in the pan, started @ the same time, will get done @ the same time.

If you get a little low on the bacon grease, olive oil can be added to the grease in the pan as the frying proceeds. Works good; doesn't seem to change the taste.

Bon apetit!

--Smokey Joe
Old December 20, 2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Sgt.Fathead

Haven't had a good Liver'n'Onion dinner since I was a boy. You've made me hungry for it again! Used to get that dinner every year just outside Boston, Brother's Diner in Wakefield, Mass. Liver, bacon, onions, brown bread, side of fried apples and plenty of strong black coffee.

*Sigh*
Old December 20, 2007, 05:45 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Egad man. Liver in any form, is no bueno. Tried deer liver. Dogs ended up with a bunch of extra treats.... :barf:
Old December 20, 2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Rugerno1shooter

What does liver taste like???
Old December 20, 2007, 08:24 PM   #9
remjeep75

liver pretty much tastes like, well um liver. cant really explain it. all i know is that its good