The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 1, 2007, 03:46 AM   #1
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Suppressing a Para P12

I have never purchased NFA, so be patient while explain my situation. I have lots of questions.

The Para Ordnance P12 is a double stack officers model in .45ACP. Para has their own barrel design with an integral ramp (often designated as Clark/Para in catalogs that offer barrels). The officers model uses a different diameter barrel and different shaped bushing as compared to the Commander and Government models. This rules out buying a barrel from the longer models to thread.

So, where do I get a barrel that will work?
Will one of the suppressor makers be able to custom build one?
Any idea of what kind of cost would I be looking at?
Can you recommend a good suppressor maker who I can contact about this? How much should I expect to pay for a quality suppressor?
I know that suppressors can be wet or dry types. Is there a big cost difference? What is the difference in dB drop between the two?
Is there anything else I should know about that I didn't ask about?

What kind of factory made ammo is subsonic in .45ACP?
Any recommendations for ammo?

Suppressors are also called ''cans'' as well?

Thank you for any help.
Old December 1, 2007, 08:42 PM   #2
MGRacer

Quote:
I have never purchased NFA, so be patient while explain my situation. I have lots of questions.

The Para Ordnance P12 is a double stack officers model in .45ACP. Para has their own barrel design with an integral ramp (often designated as Clark/Para in catalogs that offer barrels). The officers model uses a different diameter barrel and different shaped bushing as compared to the Commander and Government models. This rules out buying a barrel from the longer models to thread.

So, where do I get a barrel that will work?
I do not know -- not even sure you can. You might try Jarvis http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Home/tabid/35/Default.aspx

If they cannot help, you might try TROS for an adapter. http://www.trosusa.com/

Can you recommend a good suppressor maker who I can contact about this?

Some good suppressor mfgrs that make 45ACP cans:
Gemtech: http://www.gem-tech.com/
Advanced Armament Corp (AAC): http://www.advanced-armament.com/
SWR: http://swrmfg.com/

How much should I expect to pay for a quality suppressor?
You will need to contact a Class 2 or 3 mfgr or dealer in your state to do the transfer. They may be able to get you a slightly better cost than mfg retail.

I know that suppressors can be wet or dry types. Is there a big cost difference? No, but all 45ACP suppressors that I am aware of are wet type. What is the difference in dB drop between the two? In 45ACP the difference is very significant.

Is there anything else I should know about that I didn't ask about?

Are you really sure you want to start with a 45ACP suppressor. I suggest that a much much more satisfying beginning would be a .22lr suppressor. They are less costly and are dry cans for the most part (wet cans can be messy with the grease/soot spraying about), and they can be truly close to Hollywood quiet. 45ACP cans are a lot quieter than a gun without a can, but they are still quite loud sounding compared to a .22lr can.

What kind of factory made ammo is subsonic in .45ACP? I use 230 grain ammo -- almost all (if not all) 45 ACP ammo is subsonic.

Suppressors are also called ''cans'' as well? Yes, they are called silencers, suppressors and cans.

Thank you for any help.
Hope this helps. Since you do not list a state, have you checked to make sure your state allows civilian ownership of silencers? Here is a good listing of states where legal: http://www.srtarms.com/legalities.htm

Here is a photo of my 45ACP silenced carbine--silencer work done by SRT Arms. While this suppressed gun is very quiet and it is a dry suppressor note the size of it compared to a pistol 45 ACP can. That is why 45ACP pistol cans are wet cans:

Old December 2, 2007, 12:46 AM   #3
David Hineline

45 silencers

9mm guns silence so much better, 45 silencers for pistols are virtually all wet designs.

Get da 9 mike mike

Advanced Armament Evolution 45 and SWR HEMS silencers or Knights Armament are the ones you should look at.
Old December 2, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
After all is said and done with mods to this gun I am hoping for a 30 to 40 dB suppession of the actual ignition blast. I had expected that any standard 230 grain loading would be subsonic.

I am willing to pay for quality work. My primary caliber is .45 and would like to shoot with a noise suppressor when I shoot for extended range sessions.

All NFA is legal in AR.
Old December 6, 2007, 01:20 AM   #5
MisterPX

Keep in mind that 45 cans aren't as quiet as you may think, unless it's very long. Big bore for gas to escape through.