The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Ranger Al

anybody hunt crow???

There is a season for those pesky birds. Just wondering if people eat them???
Old November 22, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
rem870hunter

eat crow?

yukk eat a crow. not me. shoot them yes. in my yard with an air rifle. sometimes i check around outside with my 12 ga. loaded with #7.5 heavy. never had the pleasure of blasting any yet with the shotgun. got a few with the air rifle. nailed a groundhog/woodchuck over the summer with the shotgun.
Old November 22, 2007, 04:22 PM   #3
RJay

Way back in time when a season on crows was non existing, I used to put a Owl decoy on a pasture fence post. The crows would go into a frenzy attacking the decoy. Use to be able to get several at a time. Crows were considered a major pest, but I think a person would have to be awful hungry to eat one. Other wise it was almost impossible to get close to a flock, they always had a sentinel on guard. Decoy or long range. No in between.
Old November 22, 2007, 08:42 PM   #4
kirbymagnum

There is no season for me, nor do I eat them. I think the best way to get rid of those annoying birds is to feed them V-MAXX pills.
Old November 22, 2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Fremmer

Quote:
anybody hunt crow???
No, but I seem to eat a lot of it.
Old November 23, 2007, 11:07 AM   #6
banditt007

www.crowbusters.com
Old November 23, 2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Mannlicher

from time to time, I clear out the flock around here.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 23, 2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Ranger Al

I was hoping you guys would say " it taste just like chicken"! lol
Old November 23, 2007, 05:11 PM   #9
Hawg

A lot of folks ate crow back in the depression.
Old November 23, 2007, 05:20 PM   #10
dustoff

If you don't eat them what do you do with them? I have never killed any because I have no use for them (I wouldn't eat them) and they cause me no problems. Do those of you who hunt them do so because they cause crop damage? What kind of problems do they cause that they are a pest? If there is a legal season for them I have no problem with people hunting them I am just curious what you do with them after you kill them.
Old November 23, 2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Fremmer

The coyotes have to eat somehow.

Old November 23, 2007, 06:12 PM   #12
hogbody74

Crows

There is a season on Ravens in Kali. Ravens and crows are very hard to tell apart. I allways heard that if they were flying they were Ravens, but dead they were crows. Here in the central valley crows/ravens cause problems in the almond and pistachio orchards, they eat large quantities of mature nuts and also knock many to the ground flying in and out. I cannot imagine eating them as we cosider them a pest like rats or mice.
hogbody
Old November 23, 2007, 08:26 PM   #13
New_Pollution1086

i shoot crows with an air rifle in my apt complex. prolly not a good idea but after a night on the town the last thing u want is a crow waking u up at 8am.
although its prolly a funny sight seeing me with a bb gun in Pjs running around with a crow call.
Tom
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 24, 2007, 07:05 AM   #14
Andy W

I've been hunting them for years, mostly after duck & goose season ends. It helps with the withdrawal.
Old November 24, 2007, 09:11 AM   #15
Andrew93

i shoot crows with a air rifle two. I wouldn't eat one though. uck:barf:
Old November 26, 2007, 05:46 PM   #16
FrontSight

Good when there is nothing left to hunt...
Old November 26, 2007, 07:49 PM   #17
elrod

Best eaten warm..........
Old November 26, 2007, 11:59 PM   #18
crowbeaner

Note my nom de plume. They are one of my favorite pests. They can and do make a mess of seedling corn. They eat carrion. They hate owls, and will harass them mercilously. My old 222 has many black feathers to it's credit. No, I don't eat them unless SWMBO is listening. They carry several diseases among them West Nile virus. They are extremely intelligent, and have over 25 different "words" in their vocabulary. They can live 25 years or more if they stay out of my rifles' range. They have a better union than I had when I was working. They can only be hunted 4 days a week here. Ravens are MUCH bigger, and have a different sounding voice. My son and I use crow calls to locate each other while deer hunting, and we have little trouble getting them to answer back. Any crow that lands is in dire danger from me, and I've shot them with BB guns, 22, 222, 22-250, 308, 30/06, and 12 gauge. The 22/250 is deadly medicine out to 400 yards if the shooter knows his rifle and load. I prefer the Speer 52 gr. original HP flatbase above all others for explosive feather dusting. The only other bullet that has a large cavity is the 55 gr. Sierra Gameking BTHP. Hunting methods vary, and if I told you my favorites, I'd have to kill you. Owl decoys are a great way to locate and whack a few, but they learn quickly that the owl is DOOM and soon leave. They will go to a dead crow on the ground, and scold them to get up. Shoot another one, and they will convene a quorum or union meeting to pick a new steward. Funny birds. To keep them close, shoot the lookouts first, and they will stay on the ground until they select new lookouts most times. Have fun, and take no prisoners. They converge on Auburn, NY every year, and have tried to take over Tokyo. One even pecked the crown prince of Japan on the head while he was golfing! CB.
Old November 27, 2007, 05:03 AM   #19
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Think about it. Vultures eat dead stuff that is rotting and has all sorts of bacteria that can kill you (I think dysentery is caused by some of the pathogens in road kill that the buzzards eat). Crows also eat dead stuff but sometimes the bad stuff kills them. It means they don't break down all the bad stuff. Could cause the dreaded crossover of avian flu
Old November 27, 2007, 10:54 AM   #20
hunter33

I also hunt them with a pellet gun, never have tryed to eat them:barf:
Old November 28, 2007, 08:37 PM   #21
banditt007

i plan on hunting one and eating it. i just want to kill ONE, and eat it. for the curiosity of what it might taste like. i was thinking maybe hunting them and taking the breast meat, cooking it and making it into dog food. at least the animals death provided food for another. i can't just shoot something and let it lay. there are exceptions but for now, i dont hunt anything i wont eat. unfortunatly i have not found my self a hunting area that is far enough away from human dumpsters and trash that i'd consider eating/shooting it. who knows, it may taste really good but the stereotype is that it HAS to taste terrible
Old November 28, 2007, 09:17 PM   #22
jaymag

fun times!!

Get a owl decoy,crow decoys and a electronic game caller and hold on tight!!The best gun is any auto 12ga.with cheap rounds works great.Can you eat them yes.Would I eat one ??Probley not.....
Old November 28, 2007, 11:48 PM   #23
FirstFreedom

Eat them, you ask?

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

Crowbeaner is right on there! They also harass turkeys, in addition to owls.
Old November 29, 2007, 02:17 AM   #24
animal

Have eaten crow both literally and figuratively and I don't reccommend either.
We shot them for fun and to make corn farmers happy (the farmers tended to remember you during deer season and let you hunt the good stuff) We tried cooking a couple up just because of the saying. Tasted like stringy garbage. Got laughed at by just about everyone who found out we tried it.
Old November 29, 2007, 11:55 AM   #25
kfb2b

My wife makes me eat crow on occasion, but I do not think we are talking about the same thing