The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 10, 2007, 08:41 AM   #1
seabeescotty

Location: I live on 25 acres in rural northeastern Oklahoma. I moved here two years ago , to get away from the craziness in California. My second amendment rights were being stomped into the ground out there.
Western Field ser. no. search

I have an old 30-30 levergun that appears to be a Marlin 336 in all but name. Iknow it's an older rifle because it lacks the cross-bolt safety feature of the newer rifles. I'd like to find out just how old it is. Any suggestions? Seabeescotty
Old November 10, 2007, 12:26 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

What markings and names are on it? Without any information I'd say offhand it is a Western Field.
Many major manufacturers used to make firearms for other companies. They would brand stamp whatever the contracting company wanted.
Old November 10, 2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Scorch

Western Field lever actions were made by Mossberg. They kinda look like a Marlin until you compare them side by side. They are an OK gun.
Old November 10, 2007, 05:00 PM   #4
elrod

You indicate in your OP that the rifle is, indeed, a Western Field brand. This is a store brand of Montgomery Ward. Many of these guns were manfactured by Mossberg and were private labels of their models 472 and 479. Other 30-30 lever guns sold under the WF brand were manfactured by Noble, Savage, and Marlin. To know for sure, the model number must be known. I had a WF 30-30 that was unique insomuch as the trigger traveled with the lever when the action was opened. That rifle was a model 72 manfactured by Noble.
As a side note, these guns are generally worth 15-40% less than the respective manfacturers' model.
Old October 1, 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
nfmMike

Bringing up the old...

I also have aquired a WF 30-30 and the trigger stays with the lever as you cycle it. Why can't I find any references to Noble in any WWW search? Does anyone know anything about hte Noble company?

I did read on another forum that the 20" barrel WF was only made in 1972 - anyone know any truth to that?

"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan
Old October 1, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
RJay

Nobel, Haydenville, Massachusetts. In business 1946 to 1971, Firearms built were plain Jane utilitarian type guns. Many were sold under " Brand Names". Value in excellent condition is around 150-175. Why couldn't you find information on Nobel on the WWW, because the net is not the source of all information. The web pages have helped a lot of new gun owners, but there is a tremendous amount of information that is not on the web. Your rifle was made just before they folded so I would date it around 1969/70. Hope that helps By the way, since they ceased business in 1971 I doubt your 20 inch barrel was made in 1972

Last edited by RJay; October 1, 2009 at 07:12 PM.