The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2007, 04:28 PM   #1
demondeacon

Ammunition Cleanliness for Gas Operated Automatics

From my own experience, I know that some manufacturers produce ammunition that is relatively dirty in pistols and rifles. When I say this, I mean that it takes more effort to clean your gun after firing dirty ammunition and you have an increased incidence of fouling.

Here's my question - in your experience, who manufactures quality ammunition for gas operated automatic shotguns and who produces "dirty" ammunition?
Old October 9, 2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

The "dirtiest" that I've found are Rio shotshells, but they're cheap

My 930 doesn't mind being dirty so it's not a big deal....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 10, 2007, 07:19 PM   #3
BigJimP

If you don't reload .. the dirtiest shells I've found in a 12ga are Estate and Federal. Rio's in their 1 oz or 1 1/16 oz are not too bad. The cleanest shells factory - are Remington Gun Club or Reminton STS ( either the green hulls or the Nitro gold hulls ).

If I was buying cheap ammo - I would go with some of the RIO 1 1/16 oz and I think they're about 1225 or 1250 fps. I think it's a real good load for sporting / trap or even skeet. Gas guns are more susceptible to gumming up the action with dirty shells - but if you're shooting competition - and you go thru 5 boxes in the morning / want to shoot some more in the afternoon break the gun down, spray it out with WD 40 or Shooters Choice - clean it up and put it back into battery. It's not that big a deal to spend 15 min so you don't have a problem later in the day.
Old October 11, 2007, 08:33 AM   #4
charlie in md

I've shot the Walmart promo loads from both Winchester and Federal in my 1187. They are both fairly dirty, but I've gone 300+ rounds with them between cleanings without any issues. If you are using a Remington, I would not recommend leaving any type of cleaner or luibrication on the magazine tube, get it all off after cleaning. It collects more particulates and ends up gumming up the action. Shoot it dry.
Old October 18, 2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Shell Shucker

The cheap Federals work fine in my 20ga 1100. They are clean enough for me.
I've shot a lot of premium ammo in the past. It has been awhile as far as 20 ga. I don't remember how much cleaner premium ammo is (20 ga 7/8 oz) than the $3 Federal from Academy. I think that if the Federal was MUCH dirtier than the premium stuff I'd REMEMBER!
Old October 19, 2007, 04:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

The Federals and Estates - have that "unique smell" too --- I keep looking around and wonder who's been eating a steady diet of chilli for the last week upwind ........( probably just blame the dog ...).
Old October 19, 2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Shell Shucker

On a good day MINE smell like BULLSEYE!!!