The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 4, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Jseime

American Hunters In Canada

I am used to hearing about you guys from down south coming up here to hunt birds in the fall but had never had any interaction until today.

Three guys from Iowa pulled up to the oilfield company shop where I was putting some things together for one of our wells in a nice lookin F-250 which the exhaust pipe had fallen off of and they were lookin for someone to weld it all back together.

We started B.S.ing about goose shooting and whatnot and before they left they got my phone numbers and offered to take me out shooting with them... likely saturday morning. They seem like a good bunch and they were more than generous. I'm kinda looking forward to going shooting with them. This could work really well because they said that they have a big stack of decoys and i can show them where the geese are so it appears to be a win-win situation.
Old October 4, 2007, 10:52 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Nice! Let us know the outcome..
Old October 4, 2007, 11:29 PM   #3
Jseime

Well since this is my first year waterfowling and these guys are veteran goose shooters I think that if I take them to the geese since i have lived in the area my whole life and know it like the back of my hand they get the geese... i get the experience and everyone goes home in a real good mood.
Old October 5, 2007, 11:12 AM   #4
FrontSight

Good luck...and don't drop the soap...you never know! Being from NYC I am always a little wary of everyone, no matter how nice they may seem. Make sure you send someone a text message of their license plate number or sumthin, just in case you wind up "Hosteled".
Old October 8, 2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Jseime

After Action Report

Well this mornings goose hunt was kind of a bust, we smoked nine between the five of us.

We got a bunch of ducks before lunch though so that was not too shabby. My shotgun crapped out with a jammed follower in the mag tube but the guys from Iowa lent me a very very nice beretta semi-auto (which by the way totally ruins my Mossberg 500 thing)

I got my shotgun back in the game this afternoon and we shot a bunch of partridges and a couple rabbits. We also took time to ambush an old grain bin full of pigeons which was good for some laughs.

The hunting was kind of average overall but they were a great bunch of guys to hang around with and more than generous with gear and blinds and decoys for the day. I had a blast and will probably go out with them again later this week before they leave.