The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1
KFDiesel

Stamped slide vs. Machined slide

What is the difference in the two and why would it make a difference practically speaking. Is it just older vs. newer technology?
Old September 12, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
dwatts47

a stamped slide is machined from basically a flat peice of sheet steel, then folded into the desired shape. The internals are then pinned in with roll pins.
This is both inexpensive and lightwieght. the disadvantages are the same.

a machined slide starts a chunk of ordnance grade gunsteel, and is then cut into the needed shape. This both stronger and heavier... and more expensive.

I own 9 SiG Sauer pistols, ranging from the mid 1980's ( a p225) to one just a year old ( the black water 226). 5 of my sigs have stamped slides, the other 4 have machined slides.

The machined parts are no doubt strong, but no SiG ever had a rep for being cheaply made, or undurable.

IMHO, the difference is purely new vs old tech. Now that CNC machining is the norm, there's no reason to make a stamped steel anything.
Old September 12, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3
sholling

Remember that there is a difference between stamped (cheap) and forged (strong).
Old September 13, 2007, 02:11 AM   #4
LUPUS

Dwatt, I just want to add that the pistols with the stamped steel slides and alloy frames feel more evenly balanced in the hand, at least for me.
Best.
Old September 13, 2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The only make I know of that gives you the choice is Sig-Sauer. They made "folded" slides for years until they went to milled slides to beef their guns up for .40 cal. Then it turned out to be more economical for them to have all slides CNC milled in the colonies than stamped in Germany.

The flex of a folded slide in high speed engineering films is amazing. There is no doubt the milled slides are stiffer and stronger.
HOWEVER, from what I have READ (I only own folded.) they had the bugs out of the folded and there are fewer functional problems with them than milled.

You don't really have a choice on a new gun, they are all milled now. Still a lot of used and CPO folded out there, though.
Old September 14, 2007, 08:22 AM   #6
Rinspeed

I own both don't really much of an advantage to the machined slides, sure they are stiffer and stronger but they do change the way the pistol handles a bit. One thing about the sheet steel slides is the roll pins need to be changed every 5000 rounds or so. If they are not replaced or someone decides to reuse them after taking the breech block out stress cracks can start.