The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 1, 2007, 04:41 PM   #1
KyleH

Marlin 60 Tube fell out

Hello, I am new, my name is KyleH, I assumed that since this is called "The Smithy" we are thinking of the same Smithy machine.

My grandfather gave me a .22LR Marlin 60 that was his and the tune fell out along with the sights of course as this appears to be all one piece. I took it apart a little and saw that nothing really seems to hold the tube in place except maybe a small weld on the sights/barrel which has of course broken. What is the best way of reattaching this and correctly lining up the sights?

Also, it has a good deal of rust along the barrel from being in a Florida garage most of the time. DO I need to get it coated in some way after sanding it or is painting it fine?
Old September 2, 2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Wrascal

I have no idea what you're asking here.

The only tube/tune? on my Marlin 60 is the one that compresses the ammo into the magazine.

My sights are mounted on the barrel, which is attached to the stock by two screws.

If its that bad (rust), simply purchase a new one; I got mine (new in box) from Walmart last spring - $112 as I recall.
Old September 2, 2007, 08:54 AM   #3
KyleH

Guns didn't sell that well in Wal-Mart here so they took them out. The one out in the boonies might still have them though. I meant tube, sorry. I also feel like an idiot that I didnt notice the set screw on the top of the barrel. I put that screw in, and it has a hole on the side of the front sights I am guessing for another screw but it appears to be missing. Now that thats back on I will clean it and lube it up and see if it can even chamber rounds/shoot.
Old September 2, 2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Scrub the barrel lightly with 0000 steel wool soaked with WD 40. You will be amazed at how much better it will look.
Old September 2, 2007, 04:48 PM   #5
KyleH

I feel kinda dumb now, I bought some solvent and oil, cleaned it a bit and put some oil on the moving parts and barrel. Put 15 rounds through it and it shot and loaded them fine. The sight is WAY off though, what is the correct way to get it back on straight, what do you use to properly align it?
Old September 3, 2007, 09:46 AM   #6
KyleH

Crap, a small yellowing plastic piece broke off. I loaded it up with 15 rounds and on the 15th it jammed. This was after about 30 rounds through it. I took it apart to get the jammed round out and afterwards a fairly small plastic piece broke into 5 nearly evenly sized parts and the fell out of the ejector port and some out of the bottom when I took it apart.

I shot one more round through it and it shot, any idea what this piece could have been? If I bought an owners manual for the gun would it tell me? It is a white plastic piece at the back of the receiver. Some of the plastic material is left in it and it is held in with a pin that looks like I could just tap it out and replace it if I knew what it was.

EDIT: I also just bent the crap out of the spring after attempting to clean it. It is much cleaner but not working lol. So where is the cheapest place to buy Marlin parts?
Old September 5, 2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Lavid2002

The white part you broke is called a buffer...

My buddy has a marlin model 60 and the only white part on it is a buffer. It is a plastic peice made to "cushion" the bolt as it comes to a stop at the rear of the receiver. Buy a new one for 5 bux.....the spring???? What spring... Their are many springs in the marlin model 60... The hammer strut spring, tube spring, ejector/ extractor spring, The safety detent spring, bolt release spring, wich one....try googling marlin parts and find a dealer or something
Old September 8, 2007, 11:53 AM   #8
KyleH

The long spring I believe is called the recoil spring. I am waiting on an owners manual I got on eBay so I can make sure to get this thing back together correctly.

EDIT: It seems brownings sells just about everything for this gun. I got my new stock which I am very happy with and looks quite cool, owners manual is on its way, and so are the replacement parts. Can't wait to get to shooting this regularly. The recoil spring and the buffer were only $18 shipped, the stock was around $40, so having a gun to shoot regularly for only $60 I would consider a great deal. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by KyleH; September 8, 2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old September 22, 2007, 04:17 PM   #9
KyleH

Its all fixed now, it just needs to be reblued.

So far I have replaced/added:
Cheap Tasco Scope/Cheapie Mounts
ATI Fiberforce Stock
New Buffer
New Recoil Spring