The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 1, 2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Dave in SC

savage action re-barrel

I am thinking of building up a .270 heavy barrel savage. The problem is they do not offer one from the factory. What would be involved if I was to purchase a 270 action with a factory sporter barrel. How difficult is a barrel swap on the Savages. I have heard rumors that you basically screw the old off and the new on. Surely this cannot be correct. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks.
Old September 1, 2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

Savage

Sir:
The Savage 110 action series is very simple to re-barrel. Buy the "nut-wrench" from Midway-USA and they sell the Adams & Bennet bbls. and headspace guages. Simply unscrew the nut, the bbl. and the new one on with headspace guage in chamber and follow the directions that come with the products.
I did this with a Savage in 416 Taylor (was a 300 WM).
Harry B.
Old September 1, 2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Jim Watson

A friend and I changed barrels on our Savage rifles with the nut wrench, an action wrench (A barrel vise or barrel blocks in a regular vise would probably have done as well for less cost.) and a Go headspace gauge.

Brownell's
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...?p=0&t=1&i=540
describes one approach with a lot of touchy feely headspace check and recheck.

We simply took out the ejectors (And left them out, ours are target rifles and we didn't want them throwing our expensive Lapua brass around anyhow.) and screwed the barrels in against the Go gauge, snug but not tight, being careful that the gauge rim was under the extractor. Tightening the nut pulls the barrels into the threads a couple of thousandths over minimum headspace, which is what we wanted.
Old September 1, 2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Dave in SC

What about a Stevens 200 action. Is that the exact same as the Savage 10/110? I would think you could buy a new one for less than you could find a used Savage 110.
Old September 1, 2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Yes, Stevens 200 is the same as Savage as to barrel replacement. Stevens has a plain trigger that some say is not too bad.