The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Flyfisher

Remington Premier shotguns

I'm new to the shotgun forum, as much of my shooting is with handguns and, so, I'm usually reading/commenting above in that arena.
I am looking for a solid o/u for grouse, woodcock, etc. in a 20 ga. I have a Citori 20 ga...great gun, but I and 2 gunsmiths just can't seem to get it to fit me properly. My grandson can shoot it well, so guess who will get that one some day?
Right now, I am probably partial to Remington because I started out with the 870 Wingmaster and it never let me down...still kills ducks 30 years later! I see that Remington now has what they call a "Premier" line of o/u that are made in Italy. Does anyone have any experience with this line?
Also, any other recommendations for an o/u for, say, $1500 or so? Right now, I have an old Stevens 16 ga SxS that was my dad's gun and another Rem 870 pump. I know $1500 may seem like a lot, but, I'm viewing it as an investment to pass on to the next generation.
Old August 24, 2007, 02:58 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't think the Remington is a bad fun for the money - but I don't own one either. If you like the Citori - look at a different model - like the XS Skeet model or the Cynergy model - where you have more adjustability in the comb and you can fit it properly. Browning has a lot of guns in the $ 2,000 - $2500 range that are good long terms guns / and a lot easier to sell used than the Remington will ever be.