The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 16, 2007, 11:52 AM   #1
rodney1968

remington model 597

what opinions do you all have on this .22? I searched it on here some say it had some feeding problems in early models,anyone have a new one? how does it feed,shoot etc.is it worth the $159.00 wal mart wants for it?
thanks
Old July 16, 2007, 12:17 PM   #2
island66

They're normally very accurate and the feeding reliability issue has largely been solved with the new Remington mags. I love mine.

Jason
Old July 16, 2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Ifishsum

I have 2 model 597s and they're great .22s. The first one I bought 5 yrs ago or so had some feeding problems but new magazines fixed that. It's very accurate and the iron sights it comes with are quite usable.

Do yourself a favor and use decent ammo. CCI Mini Mags work the best for me, if that's too much $ try the Federal Champion bulk pkg. I stay away from the Remington economy ammo, i've had too many misfeeds and misfires to mess with it.
Old July 17, 2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Technosavant

I've got the camo-stocked Wally World version. IIRC, the price tag was $130 or $140 when I bought it about 18 months ago.

I love it. It's accurate and handles very well. Just remember to make the guide rod screws (in the back of the action) only finger tight; don't torque them down.

While the 597 has had its own share of teething pains, based on my experiences, I recommend it.
Old July 17, 2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Jseime

I have had one for a couple-three years now and I love it. It shoots well, handles nicely and since the new magazines feeds really well.
Old July 17, 2007, 10:59 PM   #6
rugerdude

A friend of mine owned one and I shot it quite a bit before he sold it due to reliability issues and the desire to get a pistol.

Very accurate, much more so than my 10/22.

Very nice feel. It actually feels like a bigger rifle than it is. You don't feel like you're shooting a toy.

The sights are very large, but nice, and I prefer them over my 10/22's stock sights.

Relaibility issues seem to have been cured, and there seems to be a couple aftermarket mag manufacturers if your remington mags don't work.

Go for it. It is a nice gun. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old July 18, 2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Antipasta

Excellent with the right ammo. Mine hates Remington, but also loves the CCI Minimags. Lots of additional info at Rimfirecentral.com
Old July 18, 2007, 01:00 PM   #8
rodney1968

thanks for the info