The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 5, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Hemicuda

Info on a 20 Ga. SXS double...

it is a standard boxlock double, with double triggers, and 28" barrels, full solid vent rib, and mild engraving...

it is marked ARMAS ERBI S.C.A. ELGOIBAR MADE IN SPAIN

Any idea what this is? who actually made it, and what it might be worth (true 90 to 95 npercent condition)

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't find anything on Erbi in my sources, but perhaps someone else can help.

Most of those Spanish doubles were the product of "it takes a village" kind of cottage industry, where hammers were made to a pattern by one family, triggers by another, and so on. Then the parts were taken to a small factory where they were fitted, then removed to be finished and hardened, then final assembled. Some of those guns were OK as long as they lasted, but you can imagine that obtaining parts is a problem and any parts that can be found would have to be hand fitted by a skilled gunsmith at considerable cost.

My general advice is that if the gun works, fine. They are often nice handling and easy to shoot. But if anything goes wrong, they are not really worth spending a lot of time or money.

Value, in the described condition and barring further information, would probably be around $250-400.

Jim