The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 12, 2007, 03:53 AM   #1
Mtschust

First time out.

I took my glock 19 out for the first time today. It was at a local range a basic handgun course. The class was to basic for me, most of this stuff I learned at home on my own. It was 2 hours in length. My instructor said I did very well . I did not take my target home but my groupings were prettty good. Granted the targets were close I am guessing on average close to 3 inches. The Oregon Firearems Academy is close and I want to take a course from them. Their institution is very well accredited and The Basic handung class is 9 hours!! Should I pursue a Basic Course or move up the ladder??? I really did not like the class I took mind you. The range was ice cold and the instruction was really not professsional. Thanks....

Last edited by Mtschust; January 12, 2007 at 05:02 AM.
Old January 12, 2007, 07:39 AM   #2
NCHornet

Glad you are taking time to know your weapon and how to use it correctly. Only you can say if you are ready for a more advanced class. It sounds like an intermediate class may be approriate.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:42 AM   #3
O6nop

I've been shooting handguns a little over a year now and I've taken several classes. In most of the classes/training I've taken, there was always somebody who wasn't really up to the level recommended for the course. A good quality instructor, IMHO, will take that person off to the side, or have an assistant instructor do so, and do there best to bring them up to everyone else's level. Or recommend taking it over, possibly at a discount. These instructors WANT you to learn and do well at using and understanding your firearm.
When I tried IDPA for the first time, the other shooters were more than helpful and encouraging, enough for me towant to come back again

If you've taken a class and done well at it, move up. Keep learning, research about what you want to learn and go for it. Be safe. Have fun.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

Find someone that has taken the more advanced couse and ask them about what was covered. Or, call them and ask for a detailed course description. Then you will be able to determine if you are ready for the more intermediate or advanced training.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Samurai

Find a new instructor. Finding a handgun coach is like finding a church: you have to try several out and pick the one that's right for you.

Don't give up on instruction. Just give up on that instructor.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old January 13, 2007, 01:13 AM   #6
AndrewD

And don't be surprised at the length of a good class. 9 hours is actually too short for my likes.