The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 9, 2007, 10:09 AM   #1
JoshB

experience at the gas station.

I went to the local gas station the other night to put air in my tires the other night. As I went to start the machine, a guy about 25yds away asked me if I was driving this way (he was on an unlight part of the street). I told him that I was heading the other way. This guy was the typical gang banger type and when he started walking towards me [he had previously been standing in the dark] as I bent down to fill my tires, I made sure my sweater came up enough so that you could tell something was underneath, but not necessarily exposing my pistol in the process. [They guy was still a good distance away, so retention wasn't an issue and if he got too close, I would have stood up and asked him to leave]. The guy walked up to about 15yds, stopped and went back to his original position. I finished filling my tires and then then left. I didn't call the cops afterwards b/c I was on my way to church and didn't want the hassle of explaining all this to them.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Doug.38PR

sounds like you were aware of your surroundings and had a plan. Good job. I think you can call the police and just let them know someone on whatever corner you were on might be hasseling people so they can keep an eye out. I don't think that involves a whole lot of explainations and such.
Old January 10, 2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Gbro

I think the Mutt got an unfavorable read off you. You didn't exibit any nervousness in the way you acted. IMO

Gas stations around here we leave the truck running while paying. I like it here!

Gbro
Old January 11, 2007, 11:28 AM   #4
NCHornet

Not sure I would have bent down to fill my tire up, thus taking my eye of the BG, but it sounds like you were ready and I give you a A+ for recognizing the possible threat and you prepared yourself, without going to far, wel done, carry on!!
Old January 11, 2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Thekatar

Could the tires have waited until morning?
Old January 11, 2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Prophet

Good Job!!! But I wouldn't have taken my eyes off of him if he was going to continue to look at me I would have stared him down like he was doing me when you show no fear is when they back down expecially if he was alone. They don't tend to act unless they have a ton of back up.
Old January 11, 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Dino.

"Prepared" or Paranoid?

Maybe I'm a little slow here, but can someone please explain to me what the individual who "asked for a ride" did wrong?

Quote:
This guy was the typical gang banger type ...
Could you please educate me on the "typical gang banger type"?

Seriously Josh ... why did you find this situation so intimidating or frightening?
Where was the "threat"?

I just don't get it.
This is not the first thread I've read here about an every-day occurance interpretted as a life threatening situation.

C'mon people.
Old January 11, 2007, 02:19 PM   #8
GalilARM

^^Typical Gang Banger Type? You want us to spell it out? Well I'll throw all political correctness out the window and say this:

-Often....erm...ethnic?
-Often walks with a swagger, sometimes with one hand on the crotchal region of the pants, in order to keep them from falling off.
-Hat often worn on head in any manner but the regular facing-forward method
-Often found talking in a threatening manner but usually cannot back it up.
-Often in posession of illicit substances or knives, occasionally guns not commonly above .380 in caliber
-Often closely followed by a Law Enforcement Officer!

All joking aside, if someone fitting that description was approaching me from the shadows of a vacant gas station parking lot, I'd be on alert too. I think you'd be crazy not to be. We live in a different time now, I doubt he was approaching to ask directions to the nearest church...
Old January 11, 2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Dino.

Quote:
^^Typical Gang Banger Type? You want us to spell it out? Well I'll throw all political correctness out the window and say this:

-Often....erm...ethnic?
-Often walks with a swagger, sometimes with one hand on the crotchal region of the pants, in order to keep them from falling off.
-Hat often worn on head in any manner but the regular facing-forward method
-Often found talking in a threatening manner but usually cannot back it up.
-Often in posession of illicit substances or knives, occasionally guns not commonly above .380 in caliber
-Often closely followed by a Law Enforcement Officer!
First off ... thank you for editing your "description" as not to sound as racist.

Quote:
All joking aside, if someone fitting that description was approaching me from the shadows of a vacant gas station parking lot, I'd be on alert too. I think you'd be crazy not to be. We live in a different time now, I doubt he was approaching to ask directions to the nearest church...
We live in a "different time" ... agreed.
But I think we also may live in a different place geographically which would explain quite a bit.
I live in Prince Georges Co., Maryland.
What some see as the "gang banger type" in other parts of the country are simply seen as "fashon" or "style" here. When I was younger, I had hair down to my arse and wore some pretty wild clothes. And no, I didn't do drugs, and no, I never had any trouble with the law. Still, I was stereotyped as such.
The truth was, I played guitar in a few local rock bands and the way I wore my hair and the clothes I wore was "the look" at the time.
Today, my son (14) wears baggy pants, listens to rap, etc ... and I would hate for him to be mistaken for a "gang banger" by some narrow-minded, paranoid, CCW holder who is afraid of the dark.

I dunno ...
I guess I just don't get it.
Maybe where you live, this is rare.
But where i live, it's not uncommon to be approached at a gas station by someone fitting your description of a "gang banger" asking for spare change, a ciggerette, or a ride. That's not to say it may lead to something more serious, but the act of asking for a ride by itself lends no threat that I can see.

JMO

Last edited by Al Norris; January 11, 2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: deleted unnecessary bolding.
Old January 11, 2007, 03:18 PM   #10
horseshoe3

Dino,

I try not to get into arguements anymore, but can you tell me what you think Josh did wrong? He met a guy who for whatever reason made him nervous and did his best to appear calm, confident and capable of defending himself all the while avoiding confrontation. This seems to me, a perfect example of how to handle the situation.
Old January 11, 2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Dino.

I'm not saying his actions were necessarily "wrong", as fortunately he did not actually draw his weapon.
My comments were based more on the percieved "threat".

It's been my observation that there are alot of threads posted here from people who admit to drawing their weapons (or who come close to drawing their weapons) based on common daily occurances such as someone asking for a ride, selling things door to door, or even a "suspicious" vehicle parked outside their home. What's even more concerning is the fact that these people feel compelled to post stuff like this as "life threatening" situations.

I guess the interpretation of "percieved threat" is up to those who encounter these situations, but IMO, the subject of alot of these threads are simply over the top and could quite possibly lead to an unlawful shooting.

Again, I don't necessarily have a problem with Josh's actions, as there were none. But the thought of a "percieved threat" based solely on someone's attire and the fact that it was dark outside should be addressed with concern, not an "atta boy" IMO.

Last edited by Al Norris; January 11, 2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: removed bold
Old January 11, 2007, 03:45 PM   #12
jcoiii

You know, sometimes that little voice just says "danger!"

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old January 11, 2007, 03:53 PM   #13
Prophet

Well no one said that it was a life threating experience he just said "experience at the gas station" did he not... What you described of your son means nothing... I'm 22 Listen to hip-hop and drive a low rider and wear not the tightest of clothes but that doesn't mean I personify(sp) myself as a thug there is a certain kind of swagger and you know that.
Old January 11, 2007, 03:56 PM   #14
dixierifleman

Dino, i understand where your comin from. you have to understand, whats popular with these types is the "gang" lifestyle. while most of them are about as hardcore as a froot loop, they still "act" like a thug. its what makes them cool to their buddies. we have lots of those around here and even stupid little "gangs". now keep in mind, my county consists 75% of retired elders. these kids are not hardcore. but they are in large groups and like to jump people that they have a problem with. none of them will mess with you one on one. they dont mess with me or my friends, probly cause were more or less rednecks, and they know we dont mess around. they are a drain on society and i blame the media and the rappers that think its cool to be in gangs and whatnot. these punks just try to get attention and they succeed. they get our attention and we make fun of them.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:05 PM   #15
horseshoe3

Thanks for clearing that up Dino. It seems that your objection is with Josh's profiling rather than his actions. While I understand and respect your sentiment, I simply cannot find fault with labeling anyone as a potential threat IN YOUR OWN MIND. As long as you keep your thoughts to yourself and don't slander that person or escalate the situation, there is nothing wrong with keeping an eye on someone. You have not done him any harm by simply being alert.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:09 PM   #16
WIN71

Interesting

I haven't tried this so I'm curious:

Quote:
if he was going to continue to look at me I would have stared him down like he was doing me when you show no fear is when they back down especially if he was alone.
Are you showing no fear because you are armed or do you use the same tactic when you're unarmed.

I guess I worry about things that will normally not occur. If you're in a dark gas station in a known gang area and you intentionally semi expose a concealed weapon to quell a perceived dangerous situation fine. I'd be more worried that the guy is in fact a good guy and the next thing he does is go into the counter clerk and tell him there's a guy in the shadows in the parking lot with a gun. Strange things occur when the cops get a call of an armed subject lurking around a gas station in the dark in a "gang" area.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:11 PM   #17
JoshB

+1 GalilARM horseshoe3 Prophet

Quote:
the thought of a "percieved threat" based solely on someone's attire and the fact that it was dark outside should be addressed with concern, not an "atta boy" IMO.
I think I clearly mentioned that the guy was acting suspiciously in addition to
GalilARM's definition of a gangbanger. He was hiding in the dark, approached me from the dark and then returned when he knew I wasn't the type he wanted to mess with.

Quote:
This guy was the typical gang banger type and when he started walking towards me [he had previously been standing in the dark]
Old January 11, 2007, 04:13 PM   #18
Dino.

Quote:
Well no one said that it was a life threating experience he just said "experience at the gas station" did he not... What you described of your son means nothing... I'm 22 Listen to hip-hop and drive a low rider and wear not the tightest of clothes but that doesn't mean I personify(sp) myself as a thug there is a certain kind of swagger and you know that.
The need to display a weapon tells me there was some sort of "percieved threat". What that threat was is still not clear to me but that's okay.
I didn't post here to start any arguments.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "swagger", but I do know enough not to "judge a book by it's cover". Never have, never will.

It's the fact that others do that concerns me.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:16 PM   #19
JoshB

Quote:
I do know enough not to "judge a book by it's cover". Never have, never will.
I once heard it said, "if it looks like sh-t, smells like sh-t, then it is sh-t."
If it looks like trouble, smells like trouble, acts like trouble, then it is trouble!"
Old January 11, 2007, 04:19 PM   #20
Prophet

WIN71,

I would do it anytime I'm not scared to fight hell I grew up fighting. But I would never get into a fight with my gun on me because of the risk of it getting into the wrong hands. I know I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but I don't mind to fight, because having a CCW I should hold myself at a higher standard than everyone other civilan and never ever fight. But if you think that way then you need to rethink why you got a CCW in the first place if your scared to fight with someone then you don't need a gun because that would make it even easier for you to get away from your fear. Just look at it this way if you have the mentality of : well this guy is bigger than me and he wants to fight but he is unarmed I don't want to fight because he might hurt me well if he hits me I'll just shoot him : Then you don't need a gun in the first place and your probably going to prison for along time and you'll never see that gun again.

Dino,

He never said he showed his weapon he simply let the print show more than you normally would. The guy never saw what the weapon was it could have been a cellphone on his side all he saw was the bulge.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:22 PM   #21
Samurai

Now look, Dino., nobody's trying to be racist, here. (At least, I don't think any of you are, and shame on you if you are.) But, we all know what IS and what IS NOT polite behavior in our particular region/demographic. All the poster is saying is that the way the guy behaved set him on edge. He did not necessarilly say that the guy conformed to any particular race/creed.

What is socially acceptable in Maryland, New York, or those parts, might be downright scary in small-town Kansas, Alabama, or somewhere else. Nobody's throwing racial slurs around, here. But, when someone is behaving in a way that gives you the chills, you don't ignore that. You wake up, pay attention, and start your brain; and that's exactly what the poster did.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old January 11, 2007, 04:24 PM   #22
dixierifleman

i agree with Prophet. sometimes, fightin is neccessary. i grew up fightin too. im only 20 and will never back down from a fight. when i join the Marines, ill be fightin for my country and hopefully for the next 20+ years.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:25 PM   #23
FrankyCorleone

I fit the bill of your typical gang banger description almost to the T. I dress like that, yes I occasionally grab my crotch. If I ask you for a ride, and you draw on me, we may have a issue.

Just because someone is 'ethnic' and dresses like that doesn't mean they aren't good people.

I love how people are like 'Oh it's dark, there is black people let me roll up and lock my doors they must be gang bangers because they're on the corner'

get out of here, i notice alot of ignorant statements on gun forums about gang bangers and ethnicity and dress ,I think it's rediciulous. I am too from MD.. and it's a daily occurance. Everyone in my city must be a gang banger because they dress like this.

Maybe if you experience the city a bit more than just driving through you wouldn't be so scared and tempted to draw a gun because someone is reaching in their coat to get a lighter as they ask you for a cigarette.

Get real.

I don't CCW, I have friends who live in the 'projects', I frequently these places often and nobody ever causes me problem...

And you guys know what?People who are gang bangers and drug dealers, aren't going to mess with you if you don't mess with them. They don't want the police involved, they just want to do their business and get money.

If you're that scared of ethnicity and people who wear hats other than straight.

If the guy was wearing flannel and a jean jacket would you have been so paranoid?If he was white?
Old January 11, 2007, 04:27 PM   #24
Prophet

I wish I could join with our boys but they won't take me...Had a motorcycle wreck about 4 years ago and messed my knee up considerably... Atleast I work for the government (computer tech for the state of Texas) But thats that.
Old January 11, 2007, 04:31 PM   #25
Prophet

Quote:
I don't CCW, I have friends who live in the 'projects', I frequently these places often and nobody ever causes me problem...
Thats because you fit in with them, You know it and I know it if a white dude dressed like he got alil money goes to the projects and goes up to a bunch of "ethnic" guys on the corner you know they are going to prey on him.
Closed Thread