The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2006, 06:38 PM   #1
zpurdy

today i shot a 12 gauge for the first time in my life, it was a Remington 1187 semi auto 12 gauge with 3" magnum shot size 4 and it wasn't as bad as what i thought it would be, barely more than my 20 gauge. I was wondering what would the recoil on this gun be compared to any other shotguns or high powered rifles.
Old December 15, 2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Fat White Boy

Don't forget, the 1187 is a gas operated semi-auto. There will be less recoil than on a pump shotgun or a bolt rifle in magnum calibers.

I love Remington products but I have an issue with the 1187- To accomodate 3 1/2" magnum loads, it has a heavy return spring. It is too heavy for light bird loads. My son has one and he has to buy high base shells for it...Low base 7 1/2's are an instant failure to feed...
Old December 15, 2006, 08:57 PM   #3
zpurdy

yeah i've heard that the gas operated shotguns kick less, this one shoots 2 3/4" or 3" shells. i used shot size 4 without a choke and the pattern was very tight and i liked it a lot compared to my 20 gauge. i was just looking to hear about some different guns that would have similar recoil.
Old December 16, 2006, 03:28 AM   #4
UniversalFrost

1187's (non magnum) are great all around guns. They don't kick as much as other guns due to the gas recoil which dampens some (get a pachymar recoil pad and the 12 gauge will feel like a 28gauge). for a gun that really kicks I have an old stevens 20 gauge bolt action that kicks like a mule unless I am shooting really light loads through it. I would rather shoot my 835 mossberg with 3.5 slugs than the stevens, but stil shoot the stevens because it was my first shotgun and I just never miss with it when shooting.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green