The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Prophet

What would you do?

First off don't close mods this isn't a SHTF scenario This happened to me last night. about a month ago I had a confrontation with 2 guys about nearly hitting my truck. Yesterday I went to the park where one of the guys cousins saw me and recognized my truck he came up and proceeded to talk smack to me the kid is only about 17 and I’m 22 anyway as I was getting out of my truck my jacket came open and you could see just the side of the shoulder rig that the mag was on he didn't see my gun!!! Then he flipped out and said oh you got a gun well I can play like that to you just wait. So I called the police and told them everything that had happened they said sorry can't do anything unless you, your wife, or property gets messed up. So I was thinking well if something happens to my truck I’d like to get it on video for proof. So my wife and I and a friend took off to best buy to buy a camera, on the way Mike (which is my friend) said hey isn't that them and as soon as he said that about 10 people jumped into 3 cars and took off after us well my truck is way faster than any of them so I could have just out ran them but I was like nope I’m going to do this the right way and call the cops. So I dialed 911 and told the lady that I called in earlier in the day and its about the same group of guys only this time there are more then one of the guys fly's out around 3 civilian cars behind me to catch up and almost gets hit when he flies in front of me then he slams on his breaks to about 25MPH then I took the turn to best buy at the last second so the one in front of us gets lost but the other two are behind me still so I lead them into the best buy parking lot and drive around and they stop and the one talking smack earlier gets out and pops his trunk like he is getting a gun or something. right as he does the cops pull in so I rush over to them and say hey that’s them get em so they pull them over in the next door Wendy’s parking lot so I creep over there and park one of the officers comes over and says I need you to drive to the opposite side of the building so I comply and sit there for about 15 mins then I see the dude just drive off. I was like [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] why they let them go without talking to us. So I pull around to the other side and asked the officers why they let them go they said because we left I was really heated by this moment but I kept my composure and said NO! your officer told me to pull to the other side and he said ohhh well I walked around there and you were gone and we had dispatch call you and you didn't answer. (which they never did) anyway he said the guy said we stopped and jumped out of the truck and he knew I had a gun and he was getting in his truck to get a tire iron. I said officer if you knew I had a gun would you come at me with a tire iron that would just give me more reason to shoot you. He said well we know these kids and they are all in a gang and are known for carrying guns and shooting people. I was just dumbfounded by then SO I said whatever and was about to leave and another officer stepped in and started going on and on about how people that have a carry permit think that they are bad asses and that he should take me to jail take my gun and give me a 2000 dollar fine and 2 years in prison for someone seeing my weapon. So what should I do should I file a complaint on the officers or could I get in trouble for the guy supposedly seeing my weapon? What should I do I'm really scared for my wifes and I wellbeing? Also what would you have done different in this situation if you were me?
Old December 13, 2006, 02:01 PM   #2
kc-griz

Bad situation.

If it were me, I would file a complaint on the officer who threatened you with an unjustified charge. If in fact you did flash your weapon, to which you didn't, then he has basis for his charge. His bias on the situation is unprofessional and he needs further training to handle similar situations in the future without escalating it further.

You have a permit to carry. You did not break any laws as per your description of the situation. Since the other individual was admittedly going for a tire iron since he assumed you were armed to protect yourself, then he is still the aggressor and by his admittance should have been charged with attempted battery with intent to do bodily harm.

I would also file a restraining order on the individuals intent on doing you and your family harm. Get it documented. These thugs are bent on getting some type of restitution from you. The cops already admitted they are involved in gang activity.

Don't go anywhere without your carry weapon. Be on high alert and don't let your guard down. Assume the worst case scenario 24-7. These thugs will make a mistake guaranteed. I doubt you'll ever be far from their intent to get revenge especially now that they know you've gotten the police involved.

Watch your 6.
Old December 13, 2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Wisby

Dang bud not really sure how I would handle this myself.

The problem being you can't be with your wife and what not all the time and it sounds like eventually some conflict is going to happen no matter what you do to prevent it...

Best bet is just to be always at the ready.
Good Luck
SSBN 733 USS Nevada (24 of the biggest guns made)
Old December 13, 2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Samurai

DUDE!!! On your keyboard, on the third row, all the way over to the right, there's an ENTER key. This will make a new paragraph for you. You should try it!

Second, on the fourth row down, near the right, you'll find PUNCTUATION keys. These will separate your sentences. You should also try it!

Ok. Enough of that. The answer to your question is, if you are in reasonable fear of imminent death or severe bodily injury, shoot the source of this fear until it stops. If you are in your car and are being chased, drive straight to the police station and file a police report.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old December 13, 2006, 02:58 PM   #5
BigO01

I would say you did as best as could be done in handling this mess .

For the future though it seems like you have stepped into an open Pandora's Box , with perhaps repeat problems with this slime .

It sounds like they will now be looking for your truck , perhaps you , your wife and friend Mike , for a little payback , and they know you're armed , and the Police have told you that they are usually armed . Add all of this to the fact you obviously have useless , lazy , stupid , lying , and perhaps cowardly and corrupt cops and you have a huge mess on your hands !

I hope the wife has a CCW or CCL whatever a carry license is called in your state and she NEVER leaves home unarmed . A gang like that would probably gang rape and beat a women to death if they caught her alone and defenseless .

It might not hurt to start making sure that even around the house both of you keep a loaded gun within reach all the time .

I would make sure you get outside security cameras up at your house if for no other reason you can take a look around before going outside and it will help gather evidence should they find out where you live , a drive by shooting "at your home" is by no means impossible with this kind of filth .

You might also want to begin carrying some sort of pocket recording device and turn it on whenever you are about to speak to the cops in the future and as you do so make sure you ask each and every one "Sir may I ask what is your name and DSN ?" dsn stands for department security number , all cops are assigned one , it is a question that most civilians don't think or know to ask for it and it will throw them off and even if they lie about their name they may give you the correct dsn which will help identify them for any future complaints you need to make against them .

I would file some complaints against the cops and how this whole mess was handled but I would cover your tail and take a lawyer with you to the station when you do so . The cop that threatened you is at best a power hungry moron and at worst perhaps corrupt . If these punks are indeed gang it could be a drug gang he could be getting paid off by them . If he is even just simply stupid the person who hired him is more stupid than he and obviously in a higher position in the department perhaps the chief of police .

Good luck and watch what is going on around you and impress upon your wife to do the same , this sounds like it could be only the tip of the iceberg of the trouble you can expect with this trash . BE extremely vigilant to opening your door at home as a home invasion could be something they may consider .
Old December 13, 2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Prophet

Thanks for your advice, My boss is the deputy mayor of our town and when I told him what had happened he put me in touch with the city manager which is good friends. I went to talk to him and told him what had happened he said he will get the voice recordings from the officers on the scene (4 of em) and get back to me with what he thinks I should do. Aso for me I'm carrying all the time the wife on the other hand isn't. One because she has a bad temper and I think she would Probably shoot someone over road rage. Two because I think she would hesitate in a stressful situation. We are also going to order a 3 camera home security system when I get home from work tonight and i'll put them up this weekend. What should I do if I see someone on my lawn and I know he is one of them and he has a gun am I justifyed shooting him or will the courts look at it as I went out of the safety of my home to find the gun fight. anyway thanks for your inputs and sorry samuria about not spacing I was in a supper hurry writing that.
Old December 13, 2006, 04:34 PM   #7
Samurai

Quite alright, Prophet.

Just remember, before you can even SHOW someone a gun, you MUST be in "reasonable fear of imminent death or severe bodily harm." If you're not in fear for your life and you flash a piece, it's called "aggravated assault."

Now, if someone's waving a gun at you in a threatening manner, then it's "reasonable" to be afraid for your life. So, if the guys come back, and one of them makes you afraid for your life, you can shoot him.

Be careful, man. Remember, your job is to get away safely. Don't be macho, and don't go looking for a fight. If they're in your lawn, lock the doors and call the cops. If they try to come in, shoot them down. If you see them on the street, and you can run away, RUN. Don't be a hero, don't be "cool," and don't be macho. Handguns are about SURVIVAL, not saving your dignity.

Be safe.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old December 13, 2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Bigfatts

If you see a guy outside your home with a firearm, or any weapon, stay inside. Take up a defensive position, prefferably in a place where you can see him but not vise versa, with a bigger gun than he has and call the Police. If he comes through the door, shoot him. There is no reason to go to him, make him come to you, by going outside you put yourself at risk from the others he has with him that are hiding close by. Gang members are usually cowards and do nothing on their own.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:02 PM   #9
skipjack

"about a month ago I had a confrontation with 2 guys about nearly hitting my truck."

They NEARLY hit your truck, and you have a confrontation?

You may want to rethink that strategy. Even if they had hit your truck, you exchange insurance info, and go about your business. At least, that is what rational folks do. You don't get into shoving or shouting matches, or fistfights over an auto accident. Particularly if you are armed. At least that is my take on your situation.

Good luck, I really do hope it all works out for you.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Prophet

Well they didn't look like the type to exchange insurances with if you know what I mean. they were gang bangers and I don't know about you but I like my 40k dollar truck and they are in some little beater that didn't cost them 2k I'm sorry I got alittle heated.
Old December 13, 2006, 06:07 PM   #11
marlboroman84

I think what Skipjack is trying to tell you is, that you don't want to be arguing with people after an auto accident while you are carrying a gun. Especially people like that.

If you're carrying you need to be the utmost example of turn the other cheek. You don't want witnesses saying you flew off the handle at the scene of an accident and then that coming into play later at a civil suit if you ever shoot someone. If you don't think a defense attorney would dig up that much dirt on you, think again.

Stay safe man and like Samurai said, for the love of God enter key my brother
Old December 13, 2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Trip20

Quote:
...I'm sorry I got alittle heated.
Not cool. You carry. You must begin to learn to swallow pride more often than not, keep your cool more often than not, and pick your battles very wisely.

I'd consult an attorney regarding the complaint you describe involving the police.

As far as the rest - the next time you have an opportunity to deal with one of these punks one on one, try an apology - even if you know it's not you who should be apologizing.

These kind of heathens rarely back down as that would be considered weak by their peers. And, going in concert with that swallow your pride stuff I mentioned earlier, it may be the best chance you have to stop this before it escalates to a degree where everyone's life becomes ruined. Or ended.

It'll be hard to look at the little piss-ant square in the eyes and apologize. You'll want to do nothing else but stomp his head in with a nice pair of boots. But, remember you're trying to be the bigger, smarter man to help ensure your safety, and that of your family/friends.

By all means, if you're attacked and fear for your life or that of a loved one - do what you need to do in order to ensure your survival.
Old December 13, 2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Maser

If these are supposidly "gangbanger" types (by the way I hate the word because nobody ever uses it for the real meaning of it ), then I don't think you need to worry much about it. They will forget about it. It's not like you're in their rival gang or something is it? Next time make sure to keep your gun concealed. I'm sure they taught you in CCW class about keeping it concealed from the public unless needed for defense. PLease be careful next time. It's hard enough to get a permit out here in Cali and I do plan on getting a CCW permit when i'm 21. Don't ruin it for me.

On a side note, the gun vs tire iron thing sounds pretty funny.
Old December 13, 2006, 06:49 PM   #14
gdeal

Thanks Samurai

Quote:
DUDE!!! On your keyboard, on the third row, all the way over to the right, there's an ENTER key. This will make a new paragraph for you. You should try it!

Second, on the fourth row down, near the right, you'll find PUNCTUATION keys. These will separate your sentences. You should also try it!

Ok. Enough of that. The answer to your question is, if you are in reasonable fear of imminent death or severe bodily injury, shoot the source of this fear until it stops.
Too Funny.
Old December 13, 2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Maser

LOL gdeal, I had to read the 1st post in a window about 400x600 pixels. You should have seen how hard it was to read.
Old December 15, 2006, 11:57 AM   #16
Prophet

Update!!!

My little brother goes to school with one of the friends of these punks and said that they knew where I live and were planning a drive by to shoot up my house, truck, and car and if I happen to be there me too!!!

What do I do? The police won't listen to me because its hear say and I didn't hear
it with my own ears so what should I do.
Old December 15, 2006, 12:49 PM   #17
john in jax

Prophet start a VERY DETAILED paper trail right NOW! Start a log and use SPECIFICS:
EXACT NAMES and aliases of ALL involved including LEO's
DETAILED descriptions of individuals and vehicles, lincense tag #'s, etc...
EXACT time, date and location.

For instance have your little brother note exactly who made the threat, what time and date it occured and exactly where. Were there any witnesses to the threat - get their names too. If possible get detailed statements from them too.

Attention to detail may not get you out of this mess, but if something bad happens, then it mifght just help catch the perps.

Got a video camera, computer that you can use a web cam with? (Wireless webcams camoflaged in the eves are becoming popular) Try to improvise some kind of HIDDEN video surveillence of the street, to see if your place is being cased. And, god forbid, you are the victim of a drive by, maybe you'll get it on tape or disk. Again it won't stop it from happening, but it may stop it from happening again.

And as mentioned above, if you are packing you have to be extra nice, extra courteous, extra professional. If you are going to let your temper get the best of you, you have no business with a gun. That license in your wallet and gun under your arm carries a lot of RESPONSIBILITY with it - - sounds to me like you went way out-of-bounds when they almost hit your truck.
Old December 15, 2006, 03:04 PM   #18
BigO01

The cheapest way to stop a bullet is with Dirt , sand or perhaps kitty litter whatever is the cheapest in some doubled up lawn and leaf bags , if it is wet it has more density and will work better . Peat Moss in those plastic Bags is an excelent idea if you can afford it as it is already moist . Short of this , steel plates from a salvage yard stood up against the walls would probably work since they would more than likely be using small caliber handgun rounds like a 9mm .

If you honestly think they will do a drive by , fortifying the exterior walls might be a good idea .

You can survive a hit to a leg unless it hits the femoral artery "unless you go into shock" so perhaps building a shelf to sit the bags and or plates on with some 2x10s so that they are slightly above knee high to shoulder high .Is your home and street on a flat plane in relationship to each other or is the home above or below street level ?

Resist the urge to shoot back if this happens as you would be endangering the neighbors with your fire "the last thing you need to do is kill a kid playing in his living room with his new xmas toys and go to jail for manslaughter" , if they get out of the cars and mount an assault on your home well then let them make entry and use a shotgun and kill as many of the SOB's you can .

As I said before KNOW what or who is on the other side of the door before opening it , they maybe smarter than you think and decide to "sacrafice" one person perhaps someone new who wants to join the gang by sending them to your door to kill you or wife all by themselves .
Old December 15, 2006, 03:37 PM   #19
skipjack

"What do I do? The police won't listen to me because its hear say and I didn't hear
it with my own ears so what should I do."

Might be time to try to arrange a sitdown with the leader of this gang and apologize for dissing them. I guess you don't think that you need to apologize, and I am not implying that you do, since I wasn't there, either.
But, you may be able to head off a very bad situation.

Apologize in a manly way, and maybe you can get off easy.

I would arrange to meet with the leader in a public place, such as a mall. Have your wife with you or away from home at another location when you meet. Take your piece with you and be very alert.

Good luck and God bless!
Old December 15, 2006, 04:52 PM   #20
Mannlicher

That would be a whole lot easier to read if you used some punctuation and put in a few paragraphs.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 15, 2006, 05:05 PM   #21
Prophet

I think i'm just going to swallow my pride and apoligize to the low lifes.
Also I know I let the anger get the best of me that one time usally i'm very
mild tempered and don't let anything get to me because I know i'm held at a
higher status as a non packing citizen. Thanks for all the advice.
Old December 15, 2006, 05:36 PM   #22
WIN71

Skipjack.........

Dang mister, you sure do show a lot of confidence in "Prophet" Here's a guy that has asked several times "what do I do....what do I do...", and you're advising him to take his wife and his gun and meet the gangbangers in a mall. Somehow I'm not so sure I would want to do that.

This whole scenario seems a little far fetched to me.
Old December 15, 2006, 05:53 PM   #23
Syntax360

I'm with Win71 for the most part...

Best advice I would give -
1) Get your wife licensed. Even if she NEVER carried, this is a great example of why everyone should have one. If this had already been done, she could simply start carrying. Get her a rather large can of OC - the biggest she will carry without whining too much.
2) I'd start carrying 24/7, if you don't already. I'd also keep a long-gun nearby and one in each vehicle easily accessible.
3) Start that papertrail as has already been mentioned and get together with local law enforcement - make absolutely sure they understand your concerns and try to get them to up patrols in the area.
4) Try to forget about it - the kids will get pissed off at some other wannabe's in no time and you'll be yesterday's news to them. If they were good at staying focused and didn't have the attention span of an infant, they would be doing better in life and would know better then to behave and make threats like this.

Stay safe.
Old December 15, 2006, 06:07 PM   #24
TonyM1

Just another viewpoint: Apologizing may be considered an act of weakness and entice them to revisit the situation with more bravado. If these guys are truly violent gang members then words may not suffice, in order to prove their machismo they may feel that they have to teach you a lesson.

The security cameras are a good start, and as others have said, be alert and prepared. Run the different scenarios through your head, so that if any of them come to fruition you will be more likely to react in the way you have thought about it. Think about all of the things that the SA will be looking at if you get in a gunfight and avoid the one's that will burn you, for example; no alchohol or drug use, and avoid making inflammatory statements in public...or on the net, some things have a way of coming back to haunt us.

Can your wife stay at her Mother's or a friends house for a few days? Might be good insurance and will also help your claim of fearing for your life if it comes down to doing any shooting. Just remember to act like a victim and not a vigilante.
Old December 15, 2006, 06:52 PM   #25
badbob

Syntax and Tony are both giving you good advise. If you,IMHO, don't contact these jerks, things will clear up in a few days. They will move on to "softer" targets. I've had to deal with people that see any kind of normal interaction as a sign of weakness, they will eat your lunch if they see an opening. Just my 2¢ Best of luck.

badbob