The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2006, 08:06 PM   #1
IM_Lugger

Mossberg vs Maverick

I'm deciding betwene the (18.5in or 20in) Mosberg 500 or Maverick 88

I know that Maverick is made by Mossberg, but what are the differences between the two? Any reason to pay more for the Moss. 500?
Old December 10, 2006, 10:55 PM   #2
wolverine350

i just bought a maverick 88, the only difference is maverick is made in texas and has a cross button type safety where the mossberg is on the top back of the receiver steve
Old December 11, 2006, 08:25 AM   #3
timothy75

I think they're made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. Nothing wrong with that, but I've seen Mavericks in gun stores sell for more than 500's at Big 5's so I think it depends where you buy from. I would recomend you check the big chain stores since some guns are a much better price there like 10/22's 870's, 1894's etc. Good luck
Old December 11, 2006, 08:39 AM   #4
ATW525

Besides the already mentioned safety location the only other major difference is the design of the slide. The Maverick uses a one piece slide design so the forend is not replacable without buying the action slide of a Mossberg 500 to attach the new forend to. This could be a concern if you wanted to mount a Surefire forend.
Old December 11, 2006, 03:02 PM   #5
IM_Lugger

any difference in overall quality?
Old December 11, 2006, 04:49 PM   #6
RevolverLover

Maverick also has only a year warranty were as Mossberg I believe has either a 10 year or lifetime warranty.
Old December 11, 2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Diggers

With really really heavy use maybe the 500 would out last the Mav. but you probably don't have to worry about that too much, not many of us use our shotguns that much.

+1 for checking Big-5 and like stores, I see Mavs and Mossies in ads on sale for pretty cheap.

I just went and checked, here you go.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...pagenumber%3d3
Old December 11, 2006, 09:20 PM   #8
rugerdude

I have both, they are the same gun and i would recommend a maverick to anyone because they are a great gun at a rediculously goor price.

Mine has a slightly different finish on the reciever, as well as the previously mentioned mechanical differences and I have no reason to suspect that the mossberg will outlast the maverick or vice versa.

Get the maverick, it's every bit as great a gun as the 500 and you'll save some money too.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old December 12, 2006, 04:56 AM   #9
miscusi

I asked the same question, I decided on the maverick.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Diggers

Thinking about this a bit, and seeing how the price isn't that different, 50 bucks or so.

I would say get the Mossberg because of the warranty, as Revolverlover mentioned above. Not that you should expect the gun to break but its sure nice to have if it does.

I have a S&W revolver that ended up needing a new cylinder, the spent shells were getting lodged in the chambers. The warranty covered what would have been a very costly repair. I was sure glad it was covered.

MY 0.02 cents.
Old December 20, 2006, 02:34 AM   #11
evan price

For what it's worth I prefer the Maverick 88 safety location over the M500. If you are not planning on doing anything to the gun just using it as is the Mav 88 is a better deal. If you want a cheap reliable well made shotgun to use and not be an heirloom a Mav88 is just the ticket. Of course if you want wood stocks and etc a M500 is what you want.
Old December 20, 2006, 09:13 AM   #12
Servo77

I prefer the Mossberg because of the safety location. The tang mounted safety is visable when the gun is shouldered. Also, the safety on the maverick feels like it is not as substantial.
Old December 20, 2006, 12:07 PM   #13
antediluvianist

To each his own. o too prefer the maverick's crossbolt safety. Have seen the tang safety get moved unintentionally.
Old December 20, 2006, 06:13 PM   #14
Pops 1

I have a Maverick security model with 18 1/2 " barrel, I love it. Pops
Old December 22, 2006, 03:29 PM   #15
rwking

mav 88

i purchased the 88 last november, went deer hunting in december, this year i took it dove hunting, it never missed a lick, the only problem i have with the gun is the composite stock it makes the gun to light and it kicks like a mule(took care of that with limb saver). i have an old 16ga i retired when i purchsed it and it may come back out for bird hunting but the 88 is a good deer slayer.
Old December 22, 2006, 07:08 PM   #16
revjen45

The difference of $20-50 will be long forgotten while you're still enjoying the gun in the far distant future. This doesn't just apply to Mav vs. Mossy 500. I have not bought more than a few guns in the last 30 years, and whatever I spent on them is long forgotten. Guns, like pets, are part of the family, and I acquire them with the intent of keeping them. Of course, you can always make a screamin' deal that lights your heart every time you touch the gun, no matter how long you have it.
Old December 22, 2006, 07:21 PM   #17
cloudcroft

Some years ago, when I got my Mossberg 500 Cruiser, a friend tried it and liked it, but he didn't want to pay that much for one. So he got a Maverick instead.

We both went out shooting and for all practical purposes, I noticed no significant difference between the two either in form or function. No problems with either of them the whole afternoon.

It was as if we were both shooting the same gun.

Merry Christmas,

-- John D.