The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 20, 2006, 08:50 AM   #1
brett30030

Propane Lantern Tree/Stand

Does anybody know where i can get plans to build a propane lantern tree for my hunting camp? The kind that mound onto a 20# propane bottle. The commercially available ones are too short.

Thanks
Old August 20, 2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Plans? Why? Figure out how high you want, and get some 1/2" galvanized pipe cut and threaded to the lengths you need. A tee or two at mid-height, and mount the lantern on top. No big deal. Talk to the folks at an Ace or True Value hardware store; they have all the stuff.

Art
Old August 20, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

Arts right,

Any local propane dealer can fix you up with a lentgh of hose, as long as you want, and I mount mine on a piece or two of conduit, stuck in the ground. Easy up-easy down.
Just be sure he puts the right connections for your lantern on one end, and be sure to use a regulator on the tank end. To much pressure in the bottle to run it direct.

Suggestion- Get about 10 or 15 feet of hose, so you can get light up high enough, not to blind everyone in camp.

Just thought of this. Last year one of the guys brought some drive way light that are solar powered. Were not worth much for camp lighting, but worked great for that path we all have to take first thing in the morning.
Old August 20, 2006, 07:10 PM   #4
brett30030

Thanks guys, I understand the piping part just fine. I was hoping someone could give me some direction in the connecting fittings from the pipe to the tank and the pipe to the lantern. I have used these in the past, but unfortunately, the person who made them passed away. What i am familiar with did not have any additional regulators, and definitely did not have any hose. The only part other than the pipe and the the connections, was an inline valve near the top of the pipe, allowing you to either quickly cut it off, or to cut it off at the tank, and let it slowly go out (5-10 minutes).

Anybody else have any specifics, I was really hoping to not have to go thru the trial and error of the local hardware experts
Old August 20, 2006, 09:30 PM   #5
rem33

Go to Wally's, Kmart, Ace, Truevalue etc. most if not all should have those conncetions in stock. We just bought a hose/connection at Wally's to connect a Small bottle BBQ to a 5 gallon tank. Was $12 or so. What your asking for with a shorter pipe, 4 feet or so was there also, or a connection to connect a stove and lantern both for about $25, otta be easy to just extend the pipe.
Old August 27, 2006, 07:00 PM   #6
sparkysteve

Cabela's has this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pane&noImage=0

Dont tread on me.