Meth Wars in Deer Country

Good article.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/h...177136,00.html
Old May 24, 2006, 01:33 AM   #2
lil_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_reno
We had something like this happen where we live about three years ago

There was some guy that was found dead too the world walking along the road.He had .22 rifle with him and said that he was "hunting" and found two guys cooking meth and got into a gun fight with with the druggies.He said that he shot one of them and but they got away and that he was heading back too his house.Anyway the police came started a man hunt to find the guys that were cooking the meth.This went on for about two hours and they never found any thing so they called off the search.Later we found out that the guy who found along the road really went in the woods to "get high" on whatever and he imagined the whole "gun fight" he had.

The main reasion I carry my 9mm and 85rds of ammo with me when I go hiking is in case I run into druggie that are realand have too fight my way out of something.

Michael.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:04 AM   #3
pumpkinheaver

It's bad here in MO. If I'm anywhere in the woods I am packing just for this reason. Two repeat two people I work with found meth labs on there deer hunting land last year, it'sgetting ridiculous.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4
mete

There was a squirrel hunter in my area who saw two men in the woods who looked very much out of place .They were murderers who had just buried the body in the woods !!!
Old May 24, 2006, 02:42 PM   #5
22-rimfire

We do need to pay attention these days whether it be on the street, at home, or out in the woods. People do tend to be a bit more respectful in the woods since there is a higher likelihood that the person you are meeting is armed. The Sierra Club hiker type may be the exception when it comes to guns. Situational awareness, always.

A lot of times what you find in the woods are the meth lab components which may technically be a lab. the stuff is just hauled out into the woods and dumped. The heat source is a bit of a problem when cooking meth in the woods as there are many flamable components used in the processes. You don't want an open flame.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:18 PM   #6
BIGR

It is bad stuff and getting to be a problem all over. A person has to be at the lowest point in their life to want to put those chemicals in their body. Rots their teeth out and makes them age fast. They are hitting the woods and camping areas, cooking their posion, trying to stay undetected. They try to obtain that feeling they got the first time they tried it, but cannot duplicate it. The metal that comes from the chemicals eats its way through their skin and causes those sores all over their bodies. Then one day they are dead and just a distant memory. :barf:
Old May 24, 2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Greybeard

Yep, good article. Thanks for posting.
Old May 27, 2006, 12:54 PM   #8
silicon wolverine

Here in SD/ND the problem is worse than almost anywhere else. Wide open country and easy access to theings like propane and anhydrous ammonia make it easy for the cooker to get his ingediants. When i go out in the country to work on a pump or change a valve or whatever, i carry a glock 17 with two 17 round and two 33 rounds mags. If im going WAY out in the boonies i carry either my WASR hi-cap or my CETME and 90-100 rounds in mags. I have yet to need it but i came close. One night about 11:30PM i had to go out to our intake site on the riverbank to reset a pump. there was two guys on a snowmobile grossing the frozen river twoing a sled with no lights. Thinking this a little odd, i wtached from the window of the intake building as they pulled up the riverbank twords me. then i kicked on the security lights (300 watt halogen nightstalkers x12) and watched. As sson as they saw the lights they split back across the river to the indian reservation. I reported this to the police and they said they had caught a guy before running meth across the river on sleds. He siad i was lucky was they didnt shoot me.

SW
Old May 28, 2006, 01:47 AM   #9
UniversalFrost

Roger that.

My mom who is an at risk cildrens counselor and never goes to a house in the southeastern south dakota area without her ruger security six in .357 (most of her clients are or were meth junkies/ manufaturers). Also a few months ago in Wagoner SD, a house actually blew up becasue the occupants were cooking meth and something happened. I am from Yankton, SD and it has the dubious title of Crankton by the large majority of LEO's in the midwest.

A lot of my buddies are local leo and they say that there is very little consumption going on in the area, but it is one of the largest manufacturing areas outside of Cali.. I personally have not seen the meth junkies venture into the wilderness yet, but have heard of trailers and farm houses going "boom" in the middle of the country. I always carry my 1911 or beretta 96 when scouting new areas (mainly for rattle snakes, but now for meth smoking hippies/junkies). Trying to get my wife to start taking an old s&w .38 snub nose when hiking the trails, especially when alone (she only carries pepper spray now).

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old May 28, 2006, 09:01 AM   #10
silicon wolverine

I feel your pain. The "crankton" area sucks. Passed through that country on a water plant tour one time. Seemed pretty rough country, perfect for meth making. The biggest market for SD meth is east into the cities or chicago. Some was rumored to go down the missouri into the southern states but its never been proven.

SW
Old May 28, 2006, 09:12 AM   #11
UniversalFrost

Good huntin' though

yeah, but great for deer! nebraska side even has a place called devils nest where the James gang actually hid out on their jaunts up north (a local actually found a small stach of gold/money and their hide out, it made the local news). You could easily slip away from people up there. Tons of deer!!

The bobcats and mountain lions are starting to make a comeback in the area as well. Used to have bear as late as the 50's (old den is about 500 feet from my hunting cabin), but they were hunted off. The missouri/niobrara rivers intersect and form a lot of marshy areas and it is a duck/goose hunters paradise. I have to shoo the turkeys off my porch and they even chased my 2 labs when they were pups so now the dogs are scared of them. I bag a turkey every year in my back yard when I am home. Fishing is excellent (bass, paddle fish, catfishing, etc...) So many squirrels, rabbits, yotes that you wouldn't believe. Pheasants are everywhere. The only thing that is missing is prairie dogs, but you can drive towards Pierre for them.

Old May 28, 2006, 10:40 AM   #12
Harley Quinn

Years ago and still the MJ crowd

Now the meth dealers.
I would say the hunters ought to go for open warfare. Kill um all.

In fact hunters ought to take the land back, while hunting make a point of it, you find um shoot them. It is something like taking on the warfare for the Southern area of AZ. While hunting Javalena pigs shoot an illegal for Fox.

I bet in the not so near future you won't even be able to carry a rifle in the area where illegals are. Probably take away your right to hunt because you might hurt one of them.
LOL
HQ
Old May 28, 2006, 10:50 AM   #13
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Tons of deer!!

The bobcats and mountain lions are starting to make a comeback in the area as well. Used to have bear as late as the 50's (old den is about 500 feet from my hunting cabin), but they were hunted off. The missouri/niobrara rivers intersect and form a lot of marshy areas and it is a duck/goose hunters paradise. I have to shoo the turkeys off my porch and they even chased my 2 labs when they were pups so now the dogs are scared of them. I bag a turkey every year in my back yard when I am home. Fishing is excellent (bass, paddle fish, catfishing, etc...) So many squirrels, rabbits, yotes that you wouldn't believe. Pheasants are everywhere. The only thing that is missing is prairie dogs, but you can drive towards Pierre for them.
Umm, would you consider adopting me please, UF?
Old May 28, 2006, 11:29 AM   #14
UniversalFrost

Sure, but I already have 2 kids and my wife might object to having a forth (she counts me as one of the kids, especially when I go to gunshows, guns stores, cabelas, etc..).

The area of south eastern south dakota/ north eastern Nebraska along the Missouri River before the Gavins Point Dam area is one of the best waterfowling areas in the U.S. period!! Not that many people know about this area and those that do keep their mouth shut, but I don't mind spreading the word.

Also the deer are THICK up here and we have mulies and whitetail that rival those of Canada size wise.

If I ever catch the meth makers in my neck of the woods they will be hunted down and bagged and tagged like the deer and yotes.

Old May 28, 2006, 12:18 PM   #15
FirstFreedom

sounds really nice...

and to think that in the summer of '91 I lived out in Wayne, NE, and drove up to hang out in Sioux city for the weekends, when I was up there selling books door to door, and didn't take advantage. Of course, I didn't hunt seriously back then either. Tell your wife that I'd be no more mature than you are, but I'll pull my own weight and be self-sustaining. Plus I'd help watch the kids (take 'em hunting). Tell you what, we sure did love the nudie bar somewhere up in SD just over the border from NE a little ways - might have been Yankton - they were full nude, unlike in NE - quite a boon for a 20 y.o. such as I was!
Old May 28, 2006, 12:36 PM   #16
silicon wolverine

You got it easy hunting man. In the western SD up by the ND border where my dad lives everybody wants money to hunt. I got back to dads and hunt rabbits and pheasant every year but i think ill opt out of deer this year. We ought to get together and have a shoot sometime. There are more and more of us SD'ers on here all the time

SW
Old May 29, 2006, 10:02 AM   #17
garryc

Three years ago the man who owns the property we hunt on went to his house on that property. Generally he goes to it two days out of the week except in the winter he goes maybe once a month. He lives in another town. There was an old barn some 150yrds from the house that just had some old hand tools in it. He had, when he was younger, (He's now 85) used it as a wood working shop.
One night, early in the spring, he got there at about 8pm. He just cleaned up a little and went to bed. About 2am he wakes up to a light in his window, fire department. His barn was on fire and burned to ashes.
After the fire went out the investigation found a large number of Pyrex containers, other items that had no reason to be there, and three electric stoves. A major Meth lab.
The cops, including DEA, told him they figured that when the cookers came for the nightly session they probably saw he was home and torched the place to destroy evidence. They said that had he came a caught them he probably would have been killed.
Now get this, he and his family own properties all over the area, several unoccupied buildings. He gave the Sheriffs departments of each county open permission to search for drugs on his property and in the buildings anytime they wish. They also have keys to all the buildings except his house. I guess that means they don't need a warrant.
Old May 29, 2006, 10:53 AM   #18
MeekAndMild

Gee Harley, don't be bashful there. Go ahead and tell us what you think.

As for me, I'd call the sheriff, unless I believed my life was in danger and either had no path of retreat or believed they had guns and could shoot me as I was retreating.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:19 AM   #19
Wild Bill Bucks

Here in Oklahoma, we have always had to worry about some kind of BULL S--T like this. If it wasn't Mary Jane growers, it's Moon Shiners.
I've been told that the crack freaks can cook the stuff off in the back seat of a car now, so maybe they will stay out of the woods.
Problem is, when they get arrested, the courts give light sentences.
If they would hang the suckers by the thumbs, and burn them from the feet up, one match at a time, then they could take a lot of the stuff off the streets.

Just venting!!!
Old May 29, 2006, 01:06 PM   #20
Harley Quinn

M and M

<<<Gee Harley, don't be bashful there. Go ahead and tell us what you think.

As for me, I'd call the sheriff, unless I believed my life was in danger and either had no path of retreat or believed they had guns and could shoot me as I was retreating.>>>

Yea, I reread it and it sounded a little harsh. But I am telling you, we are losing ground here with the various groups taking away rights, the meth makers, are bad news.

I will say this, Meth makers would be definitly shot on sight. Illegals I would call the law. Meth has and is destroying this country.

I have a very personal reason for disliking Meth dealers and makers. Users are foolish and then they are major victims. Stupidity, but still victims.

HQ
Old May 29, 2006, 06:28 PM   #21
45man

"When I caught up to him, he pulled a 9mm pistol on me. I had to shoot him in the leg to subdue him."

As far as I know if someone pulls a weapon, shooting them in the leg isn't and [I]shouldn't[I] be what you do especially alone in the woods.
Old May 30, 2006, 09:05 AM   #22
FirstFreedom

Harley, I feel *almost* the same way about poachers. I seriously think that if I find some poachers on my land, and find their vehicle, I'm gonna shoot their tires flat, and ask them if they have a problem with it. The case is even stronger for someone running a meth lab on your property, because they are endangering you with the caustic/explosive chemicals.
Old May 30, 2006, 01:36 PM   #23
UniversalFrost

small world .

hey first freedom i used to live in Wayne Nebraska (85-91). My mother taught at wayne state before taking a job yankton. Also I think you were referring to a bar/strip joint near North Sioux City that got shut down a few years ago.

Old May 30, 2006, 02:33 PM   #24
gunslinger1911ACP

what's the annual bag limit for meth makers?

<eom>
Old May 30, 2006, 08:42 PM   #25
DobermansDoItGoofy

treat with caution...

Any 'ammonia' or 'odd chemical scent' one detects in the woods could be the sign of a meth.lab. Also any trash with lots of pseudophedrine sinus meds.wrappers/boxes and you are likely looking at something related to a meth. lab. The 'stuff' is extremely toxic and flammable. A lot of labs are mobile...ie. campers/trailers/cars/trucks... Sadly, a lot of the folks who are cooking up the stuff...are in bad shape ie. skin&bones and very paranoid/delusional & armed/violent. Treat with caution! Call the police...rather than try taking on desparate meth. folks... I live in an area where Meth. has been a problem...and it's sad, especially when you consider the children inadvertantly involved and the way Meth. can destroy a person's life...