The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2006, 09:27 AM   #1
glockopop

Low Recoil buckshot loads for HD

I haven't seen any "low recoil" buckshot loads around here (haven't looked too hard) but after shooting some magnum 2 3/4" turkey loads with #4 shot out of my new FN Police with 18" barrel, the idea has a lot of appeal. Does anybody have any experience with this type of load? What's worked best for you? Any caveats I should know about?
Old April 24, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

They run 100-200 FPS slower than standard buck, spread slower in patterning, and are easier on the shoulder.
The Winchester Ranger police loads are pretty tight, if you can find any.
Tried a good recoil pad like the KICK-EEZ or the Limbsaver?
Old April 24, 2006, 10:16 AM   #3
AAshooter

Low recoil ammo is pretty commonly available from online vendors. For example, www.ammoman.com lists several low recoil loads.
Old April 24, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4
mete

Low recoil 00 buckshot is a better choice. They are effective , more so than any turkey load.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:17 AM   #5
glockopop

I just picked up the turkey loads because they were cheap and I wanted to shoot something "hot" out of my new shotgun. It was unpleasant, to say the least.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
dfaugh

If you think the #4 Turkey loads are unpleasant, try some 3" Magnum (15 pellet) 00 buckshot from Sellier & Belloit... I keep these for HD, because they pattern just like I want outa my 20" Mossberg...but they definitely "kill at both ends"... (Heck, at short range the muzzle blast would probably be fatal )

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 24, 2006, 11:30 AM   #7
AAshooter

The only problem with some of those real heavy loads is that follow up shots take a while. As long as the first shot does the task, then you are fine assuming your hit is good; otherwise, the second bad guy as a little longer to kill you. The low recoil ammo allows for quick follow up shots.
Old April 24, 2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Syntax360

You aren't kidding dfaugh - the first time I shot a 3" mag out of my mossberg 590, I almost dropped the thing. I was trying different, more exotic loads at the range that day. I started with some Aguila mini shot shells and then had the brilliant idea to try out a magnum. I'll stick to regular 2 3/4 16 pellet #1 buck for home defense.
Old April 25, 2006, 02:26 PM   #9
buckster

Recoil

Remington makes managed Recoil Buck Hammer slugs that report 40% less recoil. It's a 7/8 oz. charge at 1100 fps. You also should check out www.knoxx.com and see the videos.
Old April 25, 2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Homerboy

Low Recoil ammo is a bunch of crap if you ask me. I took my 870 to the range last week and fired low recoil rifled slugs. It was not pleasant at all. 10 shots was all I could manage. For home defense, you're not gonna need more than one or two, but the low recoil ammo is still not fun.

I did just put on a Knoxx SpecOps stock. Looks good and feels good. haven't tried it yet (maybe this weekend), but I've heard nothing but good things.
Old April 25, 2006, 06:47 PM   #11
cscoios

I tried Federal low recoil 00 buckshot for the first time today. Very impressed. Was easy to shoot 10 rounds without any discomfort in the shoulder. Tight pattern with little muzzle flash.

I then went to what I normally shoot, Remington 00 buckshot. After every shot the pain got worse. I managed to get 15 rounds before giving up. I'll never shoot regular 00 again.

The law supply place where I buy ammo sells the low recoil for $3 a box. Compared to Walmarts 00 Remington for $3.69 a box.

Once you go low recoil, you'll never go back!
Old April 25, 2006, 08:03 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Again- GOOD recoil pad makes a tremendous amount of difference.
Old April 25, 2006, 10:54 PM   #13
coolridelude

i have low recoil 00 for my brother and my mom.

i love recoil. i shoot about 15slugs. about 15 double 00 and about 150 birdshots in an outing.

i wish i could shoot more but money is tight. i can shoot as fast and accurate with full recoil 00 as i can low recoil.

when i get older i will get the knoxx specops but right now i love the recoil. i am a recoil junkie.
Old April 27, 2006, 06:51 PM   #14
Teufelhunden

Federal's low recoil offering patterns into 8-10 inches at 25 yards in my FN Police.

As far as recoil goes, that hollow buttstock give you plenty of room to weight the gun down. I added almost 2 pounds worth of expanding foam sealant and lead fishing weights to the butt of mine. Recoil now rolls a lot more than snaps back into your shoulder. I'm not patrolling with the weapon, so shooting it well was more important than toting it well.

-Teuf

"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit contitutes firepower." -Gen. Merritt Edson, USMC
Old April 28, 2006, 04:01 AM   #15
Guy B. Meredith

Low recoil???? What's the benefit of 00 buck without some teeth rattling on the shooter side?

I have little recent experience with shotgunning, but traded my Ruger MK512 for a 12 GA Mossberg Persuader. I put 6 rounds through it in rapid fire and took out a weed on the back of the range at about 15 yards. Fellow watching said "That doesn't look like fun". Not bad actually.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

Last edited by Guy B. Meredith; April 28, 2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: (Forgot the sarcasm icon)
Old April 28, 2006, 08:26 AM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The low recoil stuff works. Indeed, most patterns tighter than standard fodder.

However, my guess is the biggest factor here is bad form.

Lean well into the shot. Be sure you're behind the gun and not standing at right angles to the target. This allows your whole upper body to absorb the kick while your back acts as a spring.

Use the back hand's non trigger fingers to pull the weapon firmly into the cup of the shoulder.Make sure the whole butt is in contact.

HTH....
Old April 28, 2006, 10:30 AM   #17
Shawn Dodson

There are two ways to reduce recoil in ammunition. The first is to reduce velocity, which the majority of "reduced recoil" loads do. The second is to reduce mass, which Remington does with it's 8 pellet "reduced recoil" 00 buck load (1 pellet less but driven at the same, unreduced velocity).

Which is the better choice? IMO the reduced velocity loads: they throw more lead downrange.

I like the 7/8 oz slug idea though. Haven't fired any yet.