The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 14, 2006, 02:40 PM   #1
SoonerBJJ

use trigger reset... or not?

I was recently introduced to a concept that differs from what I had been previously taught. Specifically regarding the Glock trigger, I think it is typically taught to be aware of and use the reset for rapid fire. By releasing only to the point of reset you are minimizing the distance the trigger must travel for follow-up shots and hopefully minimizing the chance that less-than-perfect trigger technique will move the bore axis of the gun before the next shot is fired. This is the way I have trained and I have engrained the trigger reset when firing multiple shots.

Those that know more than I can feel free to step in at any time and correct me.

It was recently presented to me that this is not the optimal technique for trigger control, and that rather one should fully release the trigger after each shot and rapidly return to take all slack out for the follow up shot. This is obviously done very rapidly with practice.

As best as I can understand the reasons for doing so are:

1. Fully releasing the trigger removes any possibility that, under stress and/or rapid fire, one would not fail to release enough to allow trigger reset. Thus preventing a failure to go bang when you most want it to. The argument goes (I think) that with practice you can achieve full release and return with no significant time disadvantage.

2. A standard Glock trigger still has a not-insignificant amount of slack between the reset point and the point of hammer release. Failure to take out that slack prior to firing the next shot allows the distinct possibility that the bore axis will be moved slightly by inadvertant "squeeze" of the trigger finger or other parts of the dominant hand in anticipation of the shot (not exactly the same as flinching). One can practice to take out the slack past the reset point but this may increase the risk of a ND. I think the argument goes that by fully releasing the trigger following a shot you can return to take the slack out to a more predictable (and safer) point just prior to the DA stage of the trigger.

I found this difficult initially because I have the trigger reset so engrained but was able to do so after several magazines of practice. I didn't feel like I was compromising any appreciable time between shots.

Interested to hear any opinions on this approach.
Old April 14, 2006, 07:55 PM   #2
pickpocket

I have found that trying to use the trigger reset during high-stress shooting consistently causes me to do one of two things:
  1. Miss the reset by pulling the trigger short.
  2. "double tap" when I didn't mean to

In either a combat or SD situation your ability to feel where the trigger resets is going to be severely diminished - fine motor skills are one of the first things to go.

For target shooting, staying on the trigger reset has obvious advantages, from minimizing movement to reducing the opportunity to jerk the trigger: it helps you maintain POA/POI - somthing that you're not really going to have in a high stress situation.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old April 14, 2006, 08:29 PM   #3
SoonerBJJ

Using trigger reset isn't necessarily the best for target or competition shooting. I explained above how using reset may still perpetuate or allow hand movement. The best shooters in the world use a trigger "slap" like what I've described, rather than reset.
Old April 14, 2006, 08:44 PM   #4
pickpocket

I didn't say it was good for competition shooting, only target shooting.

My point was that trigger reset works for slow, controlled fire...not rapid fire, not fire under stress, not failure-to-stop drills, not IPDA, not timed events. And under those controlled conditions, the two concepts of trigger reset and trigger "slap" are simply two paths to the same place.

If you seek to move beyond square-target shooting then trigger reset is not going to work consistently.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old April 14, 2006, 10:08 PM   #5
SoonerBJJ

I understand what you're saying now and agree. I'm going to integrate this into my training.
Old April 15, 2006, 01:14 AM   #6
enidpd804

"Catching the link" or "using the sear" as it's called is great for quick shooting. [I]Some[I] of the greatest shooters in the world don't use this technique. Others do. Different things work for different people. Find out what works for you.