The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Mummer

Mossberg 500/Surefire forend/Knoxx Specops...No go w/o ouch?

I just got a Mossberg 500 and Surefire Forend for Home Defense. The gun is in California waiting period limbo so I haven't seen it with the forend installed. I want the Knoxx Spec Ops stock, but am aware of the issue with the light assembly slamming hands painfully. I also see the advice of Knoxx to hold the forend at least 1.5 inches from the light assembly. Can this be done while still actually gripping the pump part of the forend, or will I have to grip further back, and then move my hand forward to pump?

Alternatively, is there another way to mount a light on the 500 and have a Spec Ops with no such ouchiness?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old March 16, 2006, 02:06 PM   #2
cobain187

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=187984
Old March 17, 2006, 12:44 PM   #3
CaCrusin

You can easily grasp the Surefire forend 1.5 inches back from the light bulge and still cycle the action firmly and wiithout difficulty.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old March 17, 2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Mummer

Thanks for the info! I am so excited to get this thing all set up!
Hey, Cacruisin: when I bought the shotgun at Gun World in Burbank, I told them about the Knoxx stocks. They got on the web and looked at the movies and FREAKED OUT WITH ENTHUSIASM. There were six people huddled around the monitor in amazement!
Old March 17, 2006, 05:36 PM   #5
delzo

[IMG][/IMG]Mummer, that's the setup I have on my Winchester and though I read the warning, I never thought about it again. I suppose I'm used to gripping the fore-end further back due to the pressure switch, because it was not an issue.

My buddy shot it next and immediately squalled about his hand getting wacked. I forgot to tell him.