The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 1, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1
rahtreelimbs

Three Or Five Shot Groups???

When working up reloads do you guys use 3 or 5 shot groups. I have always used 5 simply because I don't soot the same everyday. I need 5 to take the
human variables out...........even with sandbags.
Old February 1, 2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Statistical sampling

Rahtreelimbs--The larger the sample, the more human error is eliminated. For that reason, 5 shot groups are better than 3 shot groups when trying to evaluate a particular load for a particular rifle.

Call me some sort of nut if you will, but I happen to like to use 10 shot groups for that purpose, for just that reason. But then, I do enjoy shooting, too.

--Smokey Joe
Old February 1, 2006, 11:52 PM   #3
impact

I've had some real nice three shot groups. But I always do a five shot group. I think helps you learn a little more about your gun and your ability to shoot.
Old February 2, 2006, 12:17 AM   #4
sportsmaster

Five shot groups are good but...

I think that the more shots the better well at least up to ten because then you can truly see how consistent your shots are.
Old February 2, 2006, 01:19 AM   #5
joneb

The more shots, the hotter the barrel gets, this will introduce another variable.
Old February 2, 2006, 05:24 AM   #6
youp

I think that five and ten shot groups do more testing of the barrel quality and ability to dissipate heat than human ability to shoot. Some rifles begin to open the group after two shots. It is nice to know where your third and fourth shots are going to land. There are alot of shooters that spend a bunch of time learning where that first shot out of a cold barrel is going to hit, IMO that is the one that really counts.
Old February 2, 2006, 06:41 AM   #7
joshua

My opinion on this is 3 shot groups are for hunting rifles, you usually shoot one shot only and hopefully it puts the game down, but the second shot or third may be needed for follow up to ensure of bringing home the game. When I'm testing hunting loads I try to shoot the 3 shots as fast as accurately I can. Don't get me wrong here, I do that as my final test for the loads just to see where the 2nd and 3rd shots will land as the barrel heats up quickly.

5 or 10 shot groups I do for varmint guns and target guns. Competition guns should be tested for groups depending on how many shots are required for each string in competition. That's how I stereotype my rifles, but I will make exception as I see fit. josh
Old February 2, 2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Ruger4570

Joshua: Ditto to your post
Old February 2, 2006, 10:52 PM   #9
DWARREN123

I heard 3 is for the shooter, 5 is for the gun and 10 is for everything.
Old February 2, 2006, 11:53 PM   #10
Pointer

The action of the rifle slightly repositions itself within the stock each time it recoils...

After a few rounds it winds up back where it started... it makes a pretty consistent pattern in the process...

For barrels that get hot fast, like magnums, 3 rounds has to be sufficient.

For barrels that run cooler fives rounds is more efficient.

You should still wait for about fifteen minutes between rounds to ensure that the heat of the barrel doesn't interfere with your "printing".

After a while a good shooter can memorize the pattern and that helps him to know if he is shooting "proper" groups.

30-06 FOREVER