The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2000, 10:49 AM   #1
Mesa

Can anybody tell me the procedure to adjust the trigger on a Howa 1500 Lightning?
Old February 10, 2000, 12:32 PM   #2
Wallew

There should be two adjustment screws on your trigger group. One is trigger pull weight, the other is for overtravel. I have owned a HOWA and lightended the trigger to 3 1/2 lbs. It is fairly easy, but you need a trigger pull guage to properly adjust it. Take it to a smith and he should be able to adjust it for about $25.

If you want to try yourself, you will need a screwdriver, wrench and some finger nail polish, along with that trigger pull gauge.

Remove the barrel with trigger group attached from the stock. Put into a padded vise, with the trigger group facing upwards. Cycle the bolt and then check the current trigger pull. From the factory it will be between 8 - 12 lbs. Loosen the bolt on the trigger pull weight adjustment screw and I believe you loosen the screw, only a small amount. Repeat the procedure until you are satisfied with the trigger pull weight and then tighten the adjustment nut. Put barrel assembly back in stock. Check trigger pull weight again. If it's still where you want it to be, remove the barrel assembly, check the trigger pull again. If it's still where you want it to be, use the finger nail polish (I use clear) on the trigger pull adjustment nut and screw. Let it dry. This will keep this adjustment until you reset it again. After nail polish has dried, check trigger pull again. If it's ok, back in stock for final trigger pull measurement. If it's still OK, have fun at the range. If not, start all over again. Jim
Old February 10, 2000, 01:33 PM   #3
Mesa

Thanks for the help. I think for 25$ I'll just let the local gunsmith do it. Maybe he can get some of the creep out of the thing too. Did your Howa have a fair amount of creep in it when you got it?