The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 5, 2000, 01:19 PM   #1
Cheese Man

Is the .44-40WCF cylinder on the standard .44mag/.44-40 Vaquero compatable with my new "Bisquero"? This might be a dumb question, but, I ain't a smithy.

Cheese Man

------------------
" IF YOU CAN'T HIT IT WITH SIX SHOTS, USE A CLUB!"
Old February 5, 2000, 03:45 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Howdy Cheese Man and welcome to TFL. To answer your question, yes and no. The cylinders for the standard Vaquero and Bisley Vaquero are the same, however would need to be fitted by a compitent gunsmith if changing from one revolver to another.
Nothing dumb about the question. As the man said the only dumb question are the ones we don't ask.
Now if you want to talk about dumb, last week I had this Smith model 29, a grinder and way too much time on my hands and....well that's another thread.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 5, 2000, 03:54 PM   #3
Cheese Man

Thanks Gunslinger,
I figured it wouldn't be easy, but I hoped for the best. I'd like to fool around with .44-40WCF, but the gun must be right. The standard Vaqureo grips are too small for my hands.
Cheese Man

BTW, I'd like to hear that M29 story!

[This message has been edited by Cheese Man (edited February 05, 2000).]
Old February 6, 2000, 08:35 AM   #4
Ken in Iowa

I have swaped cylinders on several Rugers without problems, BUT. Timing and lock-up are critical. 44-40 will fit in a 44 mag frame. The cylinder must lock just as the hammer comes to full cock. The chamber mouths must be in perfect alignment with the barrel. Rugers have some wild dimension varaitions but in this area I have found them to be very consistant.
If you have the 44-40 cylinder, drop it in and try it. Caution is important when playing with guns.

------------------
Old February 6, 2000, 08:26 PM   #5
Gunslinger

Cheese Man have you tried the Super Blackhawk for fit? The grip frame is larger and may work better for you. If so the grip frames are available from Brownells as well as others.
Okay, you twisted my arm........
A few weeks ago a buddy of mine was bragging about his new Lew Horton 625 and how small it was. In a moment of bravado I proclaimed I could build one smaller! I happened to have an extra model 29 square butt lying around (doesn't everyone?) and the grinder was calling its name. It now sports a 1 5/8" bull bbl (to reduce recoil, don't ya know?), rounded butt with matching finger groove walnut grips, chamfered cylinder, narrowed trigger guard, bobbed hammer and silky action job. The rest of the project is completed and I'm preparing it for the bluing tank now. It makes the Lew Horton look massive.
The donor gun (victim?) was a gun I've used for projects over the years and had a 17" bbl before this project started. But that's the subject for another thread.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 6, 2000, 10:17 PM   #6
Gunslinger

Hey Cheese Man there's a feller callin' his self Bisley K over on Ruger Forum askin' the same kind a question as you. If you see 'im you might want to let him know that the good folks on TFL would be happy to talk to him over here.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old February 7, 2000, 03:57 PM   #7
Cheese Man

Hey 'Slinger,
That boy does get around!
Cheese Man aka

------------------
Old February 7, 2000, 09:39 PM   #8
Gunslinger

Well I don't often admit here that I've been visitin' other firearms discussion sites 'cause I always feel like I'm cheatin' on my friends here on TFL. However when I read the post on the other site it felt like deja vo and I'm ain't even French.
I did notice that you made the same enquiry there several hours before making it here and no one had answered there yet. Sorta gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling for your good friends here on TFL don't it?

------------------
Gunslinger

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old February 8, 2000, 08:23 PM   #9
Cheese Man

'Slinger,
Warm and fuzzy both at the same time!

Can't say as much for the political forum, however, some of those guys scare me!
Cheese Man

------------------
Old February 9, 2000, 07:40 PM   #10
Gunslinger

You're right there Cheese Man but I feel safe over there just the same. I know as long as DC is watchin' the fort over there none of us are going to get out of hand too badly.

------------------
Gunslinger