The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2000, 05:15 AM   #1
oberkommando

Could someone tell me what brands are good quality for home shop use. Dont want flimsy or cheaply made and prefer US or European.
Also dont want a sony digital bridgeport type CNC machine listed as there is no way in hell I will ever afford one. Thinking in the area of 10-20,000.00 dollars each. Didnt know if there were any made this cheap that were very good quality.

Would like floor standing
Old January 7, 2000, 07:17 AM   #2
Joe D

I have a fairly large tool and die shop in my plant. When I saw the need to start replacing some of the old worn out machines the first place I looked was for US made equipment. Talk about sticker shock! I took a chance and bought a Taiwan made Vertical Mill. Think I paid around $5,000 for it. Ten years later it is still going strong. I have since purchased two more verticals and three lathes ranging in size from 12 x 48 to 24 x 120". They are all made in Taiwan. It is my understanding two factories make 90% of the equipment there. One thing I have on all of them is a digital position indicator. For $10,000 you can have a nice vertical mill and lathe.
Old January 7, 2000, 07:35 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Oberkommando, Myford lathes are very good and for a mill I'd go with Bridgeport. You can usually find a good buy on Ebay. Also you might want to check out this site http://www.chaski.com/wwwboard/machine/index.html There are a lot of knowledgeable folks there that have experience with just about every make imaginable. George
Old January 7, 2000, 02:03 PM   #4
Matt

While on the subject,has anyone had any experiance with these folks? www.smithy.com , Are these good enuogh for a serious "home smith"?
thanks
Matt
Old January 7, 2000, 09:40 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Matt, I'll send you an article on the smithy and let you be the judge. This one comes out of the AGA newsletter. George
Old January 8, 2000, 12:25 PM   #6
Matt

JEEEEZ!am i glad i asked!thanks once agin,George
Matt