The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 2005, 07:13 AM   #1
RsqVet

Series 80 re-assembly

hey all ---

Quick question regardign the re-assemly of guns with a series 80 style pin safety --- should it be hard to get the slide on / off or is there a way for this to be messed up by the user???

I ask becsue I just bought a Sig GSR which has a series 80 type safety, however I had to push the slide off the frame initally, then it was hard to get back on, after shooting it the trigger was gettign gritty so I took it down and cleaned it, when I re-assembled it I could not get the slide back on ---- tried a firm push only to see shinny metal on the series 80 finger in the frame --- I'm guessing that there was something in there holding the finger up? dirt? Metal bur?

Did I do someting wrong here?

Any other thoughts?
Old November 22, 2005, 08:56 AM   #2
auto45

I have a Colt series 80, not a Sig so I don't know how different they are.

A couple of points:

When you install the slide, the top plunger lever must be flush with the frame, otherwise the slide will hit the lever. Does the lever move freely in the frame?

I believe you can install them incorrectly. The bottom lever, looks like a bird's head, installs on the sear pin, beak facing the grip safety, rests on the trigger bow. The top lever(plunger) installs on the hammer pin on TOP of the "beak". Easy to verify. Slide off, pull trigger slightly...the lever should raise up. Release trigger...lever should move down. Don't let the hammer fall on the frame when you do this.

Plunger in slide moving up and down freely?

If everything checks out, it may just be the resistance of the disconnector on the slide!
Old November 23, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3
RsqVet

Thank --- no there was definatly extream resistance to the safety lever going down --- hence somehting wrong out of the box... oh great.